Buccs Preview Show

Any word from Reading this past Saturday? I heard some third hand rumors, but I'm wondering if anyone that actually was there will post a review or at least some comments? Fusion and Buccs were there, so it would give us some idea of how both class champs are doing.

Short answer, both Buccs and Fusion Core look to be in very good shape for the upcoming season

Short answer, both Buccs and Fusion Core look to be in very good shape for the upcoming season

Glad to hear it. Swan Lake and Mambo are two of my favorites, although I never thought I would see them in the same show. Hope they're as good as I have heard. The African show by Fusion sounds like they are trying to go a little further with their recent success. Bigger risks can equal bigger returns, if you pull it off. Best of luck!

Missed that show, bah!

Glad to hear FC is moving the target forward. They had to, especially as close as the top 4 were to each other after Prelims. If that's the case, they're doing the right thing for their corps if they want to stay in finals or repeat.

• 3 weeks later...

I was waiting for someone with more experience to reply, but if you're still interested in opinions . . . .

For $14, you got to see both the Class A and Open champs. It was the place to be for drum corps junkies. Reilly Raiders, The Brassmen, Selden Cadets, Swing House, and Bucs Alumni filled out the program to make a terrific night.

Fusion Core surprised me. Their music preparation seemed to be much further along than at this time last year. I saw them at Big Sounds (August 2010), and I really believe their presentation was equal to that time of the year. The African theme allowed for some interesting rhythms, and the pit looked like they were having FUN. Nice to see. They'll be back at Big Sounds in Motion in August, so it'll be interesting to see how they've progressed.

The Bucs were the Bucs . . . don't say much, just let the performance do the talking. If the hair wasn't raised on your forearms, you probably weren't breathing! I thought the economy and their top finishes might have had an impact on the numbers this year, but they had a full corps. Sections of the music for the trumpets seemed a little more challenging than last year, and they nailed it. Much cleaner than at this time last year. The deep end was a little light, but I understand they will march with a few more tubas than they had at the show. And I believe the drumline heard some of the constructive criticism from last year and are taking on the challenge, but it's tough to focus on the drumline at an indoor event . . . sort of like some of those beaches in Jamaica, there's so much you want to look at that you end up missing something! My wife and I were pumped when we left the show; the excitement and infusion of new music sure beat the heck out of last year's CD playing over and over and over again in my car.

It'll be interesting to see how the music translates to the field performance. With the dance theme, there will be a lot of pressure on the guard. For the past few years my wife and I have housed a member of the trumpet section who rehearsed during this winter season and played in the Spring Preview. Two weeks later, she advised us of her "retirement." She's forty-ish, and felt she would not be able to keep up with the physical requirements of this year's field performance. Age kind of creeps up on you when the shows are being designed for physical capabilities of those much younger. No question that the Bucs are taking it up a notch, again.

With all the competitive shows this year it's tough to imagine there could be another undefeated season, or a "Lucky 7." Wildwood (Cabs at the Beach) is just around the corner. And if the Bucs get it together the way I think they can, it'll be interesting to see if the DCP threads return from last year complaining about the early-season "judging." In any case, don't put the maps away because the road to Rochester still warrents a trip through Reading. "Tradition and hard work" is still the them of the day.

Best of luck to all of you. With the new additons to DCA, this is a year of great anticipation.

R Kissinger