DCI (and WGI) Should not be seeking Chase Community Giving Votes!

I'm an alumni, parent, director and fan of drum corps, winter guard and indoor percussion activities. I love going to shows and have been willingly shelling the big bucks to go to them for some years now. So, now when I see DCI (and WGI) begging for votes for the Chase Community Giving cause, I can't help but wonder why either of those organizations think they need to try and grab a piece of that pie??? It's my opinion that they bring in enough money with their ticket prices, fan network etc. But the bigger thing that bothers me is that when people vote for DCI (or WGI) they are taking votes from those that really need them...the drum corps that can barely make it down the road with the rising costs of fielding competitive drum corps. Just my two cents worth...

• Like 4

the drum corps that can barely make it down the road are not up for any votes, so...

Do you think BD and Cadets shouldn't ask for votes either, because I'm sure those 2 corps bring in way more souvie revenue than most corps?

Further, do you think that any musical group deserves votes, in a world where a billion people live on $1 a day?

I voted for all of the DCI related things I could vote for.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 4

With 5 votes it is easy enough to vote once for your favorite drum corps, once for your local drum corps, a couple more for the drum corps with your favorite show and one final vote for DCI.

We might not agree with a lot of what DCI has been doing lately, but we need some kind of organization to help keep drum corps going. As with all of the participating drum corps, DCI does seem to have a reasonable plan of what to do with the extra money.

I think part of the original post is a protest that DCI is sending emails to all of us who have bought tickets or joined Friends or the Fan Network asking for more money. I can understand the outrage that they are asking for more when we already support DCI. The email is almost SPAM - maybe to some it IS spam.

I saw the email as a reminder to vote.....and vote often.....

• Like 1

Seconded.

Thirded

OP, I see your reasoning there. I too want new corps and smaller corps to get established- I have even tried to help bring back one.

But just to add an alternative view to what you are saying- From what I have seen in videos and emails I have received, the Cadets and BD are trying to get votes to do something much bigger than the normal DCI tour.

Both have been very open to these causes. When I tuned into the BD broadcast last night- I was expecting to see the hornline playing "House is not a Home"- kinda of a camp preview thing....Instead I got a pleasant surprise from Dave Gibbs and members about how they are helping a cause in South Africa. I thought it was incredible- voted right then.

The Cadets had a similiar broadcasts a few Sundays ago-Since that time, I have received some very informative info and video in email about what their goals are with the money they could win. Hopkins has been open that its not really the Cadets or Cadets2- but more about an initiative to help music programs in schools.

The subject of grant writing, as I understand it, is to state exactly what you would use the money for, should you receive it. As the "philanthropist" in this case- as my vote counts- I am seeing a lot of what they will do with it. Its been very impressive to me.

If anything I am very impressed on how the e two corps have been so transparent about what they are trying to do should they get the votes. But ultimately, I would "third" that opinion that was given above from the Blue Stars. It helps everyone- and probably then some.

OP, if you haven't seen what it is that they are doing, check out the BD, and YEA websites- I think they have done a great job in explaining it.

BTW...just got a letter from DCI endorsed by Mark Arnold and Dan Acheson. Thats probably available on the DCI website too...

• Like 2

I think I have to agree with ediejoy.

It's not entirely clear to me why I should vote for DCI...and I love the activity. The reason is their selling points don't seem all that inspiring. Among the four points:

- I don't know the details of the "Big Idea" and "Developing the Future"; both are worded as motherhood & apple pie but what do they really mean?

- Developing the future seems like "make fan network better". That doesn't cost $500,000. If it does then it should be a product the consumer wants to pay for and the investment should be self funding.

- Preserving the Past seems like creating an archive of old pictures. That's cool but not worth $500,000.

It's just not clear to me how DCI, as an umbrella organization, will make better use of $500,000 than the actual organizations that comprise DCI.

Of course, if a corps isn't participating in the Chase giveaway then I can see why they would strongly support giving votes to DCI.

I will give all my votes to the individual corps participating. Not because I don't support DCI, because I do. It's just much more clear to me how the participating corps will/could make a difference with the funds they might receive.

• Like 1

I think I have to agree with ediejoy.

It's not entirely clear to me why I should vote for DCI...and I love the activity. The reason is their selling points don't seem all that inspiring. Among the four points:

- I don't know the details of the "Big Idea" and "Developing the Future"; both are worded as motherhood & apple pie but what do they really mean?

- Developing the future seems like "make fan network better". That doesn't cost $500,000. If it does then it should be a product the consumer wants to pay for and the investment should be self funding.

- Preserving the Past seems like creating an archive of old pictures. That's cool but not worth $500,000.

It's just not clear to me how DCI, as an umbrella organization, will make better use of $500,000 than the actual organizations that comprise DCI.

Of course, if a corps isn't participating in the Chase giveaway then I can see why they would strongly support giving votes to DCI.

I will give all my votes to the individual corps participating. Not because I don't support DCI, because I do. It's just much more clear to me how the participating corps will/could make a difference with the funds they might receive.

most, if not all of the corps, are not going to use the winnings for DCI related things. BD is reaching to South Africa in a slightly related capacity. Glassmen are trying to fill a local void. Vanguard's is about local programs. YEA is about supporting high school programs.

so, if you actually want to support the Drum Corps side, I would argue that DCI is the one that deserves your vote the most.

I don't know the accounting and money management practices of these other corps, but I suppose you could argue that the money going to their other pursuits will free up more of their own money for the corps.