Notes from a Boston Crusaders camp

As the season kick off looms, I know some of you will be interested in hearing news about Boston. I arrived in late afternoon following an hour and a half drive from Boston's northshore. It was 90 degrees and sunny on the beautiful campus of the New Hampton School. The corps was split into sections (trumpets, mellophones, baritones, tubas, percussion, guard). I watched for about two hours during which they were engaged in a micro-dissection of 1812 Overture. I counted about 68 horns, 30 percussion (8Snares-4Toms-5Bass-13 pit), and ? guard numbers (but looked big). The corps demonstrated an intensity and focus befitting a world class drum corps. The efficiency and communication during the rehearsal is remarkable. There is no dead time. It made me reflect on the relative cacophony of the rehearsals of my drum corps youth.

The average age of the corps seemed younger than last year's contingent (or am I just a year older). All sections of the horn line sounded competent. Since the focus of this rehearsal was on phrasing in "1812", I can't comment on my impressions of the overall show. I did get to hear the full hornline in the accompanying drill and liked what I heard. Good balance and intonation and reasonably good rhythmic execution. I only wish I had more time to observe and report more.

I am looking forward to meeting some of the corps members tonight on a planned Boston harbor cruise with the senior corps.

I had a great time on the Boston harbor cruise with the junior corps despite the cold, blustery weather. It was nice to have the opportunity to experience modern drum corps through their eyes and to be able to share our mutual obsessions across the generations. We had an opportunity to sing songs and lock arms in singing the corps anthem, "Giant", together. Thanks go out to Jim and Ann Hughes who made this all possible.

Next up is the Spring Fling in Newton, MA on Friday where we get to play for each other. Then, the corps' final rehearsal week push for their first competition in Pittsburgh the following Thursday June 23!! Best of luck and have a great time for what should be one of the most memorable experiences of a lifetime.

Thanks.

Boston were 1st out the blocks with their repertoire announcement then everything went quiet. I'm a huge fan of Les Mis so I'm very much looking forward to seeing exactly what they do with it.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

Having visited them 3 times so far, I agree with Geneva's comments about the members attitudes. They are very enthusiastic. The show is written for 78 brass, and last I knew, they were still waiting for some late arrivals who were dealing with graduations, etc. There have also been a few injuries, which the New Hampton School athletic trainer has been all over. The battery is actually 9-5-5, and we've seen everyone in the line but a few have been in and out again due to end of year school responsibilities. The guard is at 38 with two alts at present.

With regard to the show itself, I guess I would simply say that "REVOLUTION" will probably be one of the most melodic productions on the field in 2011, and the Brian Murphy visual product is a logical progression from 2009 and 2010. Not trying to hype at all....but the corps is solid, again. Really looking forward to Pittsburg on the 23rd. :smile:

• Like 2

Craiga, thanks for filling in the blanks. I am looking forward to hearing the complete show for the first time on Friday!

Having visited them 3 times so far, I agree with Geneva's comments about the members attitudes. They are very enthusiastic. The show is written for 78 brass, and last I knew, they were still waiting for some late arrivals who were dealing with graduations, etc. There have also been a few injuries, which the New Hampton School athletic trainer has been all over. The battery is actually 9-5-5, and we've seen everyone in the line but a few have been in and out again due to end of year school responsibilities. The guard is at 38 with two alts at present.

With regard to the show itself, I guess I would simply say that "REVOLUTION" will probably be one of the most melodic productions on the field in 2011, and the Brian Murphy visual product is a logical progression from 2009 and 2010. Not trying to hype at all....but the corps is solid, again. Really looking forward to Pittsburg on the 23rd. :smile:

There was a review of this years show by DCI fan network by DCI arts director mike Cesario he did a short video clip on three corps. Mr Pace is helping out BM should be interesting

Boston Crusaders is having a dress rehearsal performance at their spring training site The New Hampton School, in New Hampshire this evening at 7:00 pm their time. If all goes well, the school will post a livestream video of the performance on their website. Please visit the Boston Crusaders facebook page for more information as the day progresses. I am of course looking forward to this show!

• Like 1