Glassmen 2011

Honesty the dynasty horns may not be all off the problems, it is a realtively young corps. But there is a reason that BD switched(or maybe several). I think that the precussion made by dynasty is amazing but the horns are meh. You can play loud on them but it takes alot of finess, and we will see what happens as they enter the later part of the season. I hope the get the go ahead to blow the house down. because the softs parts are great, but it seems like most want the louds even louder.

I also think there is a small issue with the way brass is judged, with one judge on the field. I think that one on the field and one in the stands would be best, and I know that music ensemble covers most of the in the stands judging, because lets face it the majority of the ensemble is brass. They are the largest part in the corps and if they are not running on all cylinders niether is the corps.

As we get close to the home stretch I hope the corps catches fire and they start laying it down and putting it out. I have all the faith in the staff and members that this can be done, and feel that they need our support as much as possible. The members need to "believe" and they will achieve what they want.

• Like 1

Honesty the dynasty horns may not be all off the problems, it is a realtively young corps. But there is a reason that BD switched(or maybe several). I think that the precussion made by dynasty is amazing but the horns are meh. You can play loud on them but it takes alot of finess, and we will see what happens as they enter the later part of the season. I hope the get the go ahead to blow the house down. because the softs parts are great, but it seems like most want the louds even louder.

I also think there is a small issue with the way brass is judged, with one judge on the field. I think that one on the field and one in the stands would be best, and I know that music ensemble covers most of the in the stands judging, because lets face it the majority of the ensemble is brass. They are the largest part in the corps and if they are not running on all cylinders niether is the corps.

As we get close to the home stretch I hope the corps catches fire and they start laying it down and putting it out. I have all the faith in the staff and members that this can be done, and feel that they need our support as much as possible. The members need to "believe" and they will achieve what they want.

I for one am very glad that the Glassmen are a young Corps.....After all this is a "youth activity" When I came back to this Activity in 04 every year to the present I have heard that the Glassmen is a young Corps...What is so great about this is that even though the Glassmen are almost always considered a young Corps they still make finals....And I do hope the Glassmen keep on fielding a young Corps.......

Just my $.02, but...

With all of the freebies and endorsements and publicity and work Wayne Downey did with the horns... and the fact the Blue Devils STILL got rid of them... there's probably a good reason...

• Like 1

Very good last night....The spread is what I m use to seeing....I seen some post that said after the 1.6 spread the other night that there was no way the Glassmen could come back from that.......All I can say is......put the forks away......we r not done yet.....

It took a min....but it seems to me from viewing the recaps that the guard has figured it out.....

Another tie with the Troopers.....I m to lazy to look but I think this may b the 2nd or 3rd tie....... BITD one of the Glassmen Alum was the Troopers Guard instructor....He was the one who designed the Troopers Statue......

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys think that the momentum has shifted back into the G-mens favor? Is this year's corps finally starting to click?

Based on what I saw in Allentown...the Glassmen are (or 'should be') riding at the top of their 3-corps pack...Troopers, Spirit, and Toledo. Just my opinion...

I REALLY appreciated Troopers, feeling that they play very well. Spirit has exposure, but I'm not such a big fan of their show. Glassmen have an entertaining package...one that got a nice and genuine response in Allentown.

via Facebook:

GLASSMEN Drum & Bugle Corps

Two excellent rehearsal days in Indiana so far, looking forward to another today, Lucas Oil tomorrow! Go G-Men!

Too bad I can't make it to any of finals week this year. First time in 5 year I haven't gone. :sad:

Edited by Rubiks6Side

Here is what is so sad....There r a lot of Glassmen alum who read DCP yet this year it seems to me that not many have posted on this thread even though it is our 50th ann... It is clear to me that the people who put together this years show has no respect for our history..If the Glassmen make finals this year that would be great...If the Glassmen do not make finals this year no problem.....There r more alum who have not made finals then who have....The flags may look great today...but too not even give our long history even a small nod in this years show is inexcusable....The Glassmen may have gained a sponsor but the Glassmen have done little if anything to gain the support of the Glassmen Alumni in this, our 50th year....To the people who designed this years Show, you have made it loud and clear that you all could care less about the alumni support....SHAME ON YOU....

Here is what is so sad....There r a lot of Glassmen alum who read DCP yet this year it seems to me that not many have posted on this thread even though it is our 50th ann... It is clear to me that the people who put together this years show has no respect for our history..If the Glassmen make finals this year that would be great...If the Glassmen do not make finals this year no problem.....There r more alum who have not made finals then who have....The flags may look great today...but too not even give our long history even a small nod in this years show is inexcusable....The Glassmen may have gained a sponsor but the Glassmen have done little if anything to gain the support of the Glassmen Alumni in this, our 50th year....To the people who designed this years Show, you have made it loud and clear that you all could care less about the alumni support....SHAME ON YOU....

The best possible thing that the organization could do to show they care about alumni support was to create the best program they possibly could, and I believe they achieved this. I just want to say that since we're part of the same drum corps family, I hope you know that what I've chosen to type in response here comes from a deep place of true affection.

I still remember "initiation night," the nervousness and the anticipation and all. I grew up in a pretty broken home, and at the end of it, I remember lying the grass looking up at the stars and just crying and crying out of the joy that I felt. I had a second family. A family based on the things I had found my sanity and happiness in as a youngster. My heart felt like it was going to burst that night, and I'm pretty misty-eyed just putting this out there for everyone on DCP to see. So suffice it to say that despite any other circumstances, this corps means a lot to me personally.

I work in the field of music education in the state of Florida, which as a drum corps market has been tragically undergoing a slow death. The number of students who audition from the state of Florida compared to the number who end up marching is relatively low because there are only two World Class corps which hold their monthly camps in Florida, and only one corps which is based in Florida. Further, geographically speaking, the corps based in Florida is far away from the major metropolitan areas of Florida; they are based closer to Atlanta than Miami. When the purple team was a successful competitor, they managed to push DCI Orlando as a regular host for regional events and even several world championships, but sadly I believe many of the practices of the purple team also greatly contributed to the state of DCI in Florida today.

For the competitive seasons of 2007, 2008, and 2009, the corps successfully held camps in the Orlando area for auditions. I felt that the turnout was remarkably low, but it grew every single year, and I believe attracted significant talent they would not have otherwise. After I landed my first teaching gig at a HS in Florida, with a band that would contend for state championship titles, I made sure that the kids very aware of DCI and, in particular, the Glassmen and their Orlando audition camp. One of my colleagues on the guard staff was a fellow G-Alum, and did a fantastic job of this as well. Although these camps were never spectacularly attended, I was at the 08 and 09 season camps, and they grew from ~35 attendees to ~55 year to year. About 30% of the attendees at the 2008 season Glassmen audition camp in Orlando were from the high school I was instructing at the time.

It is remarkable the things we can accomplish as alumni, regardless of what the corps does, as long as we are given the opportunity. Sadly, the last two competitive seasons, this Florida camp has been cancelled, and still many of the corps members continue to travel all the way from Florida to be a member of the Glassmen family. I have e-mailed the corps myself on several occasions hoping that I might gain more resources to be more successful in promoting the corps' success in my area as much as possible to absolutely no avail. Although I'm no longer with that high school, we have many new members of the Glassmen family as a result of this; have established a new base for fostering successful talent by having students with 100% familiar techniques; and the Glassmen contributed greatly to the success of this high school program by providing it with well-trained former students who maintained a voracious appetite for success in the marching arts.

As I stated, for the last two seasons, the Orlando camp has been an aborted mission. Further, I would love to see these camps expand to a full-time satellite operation, much in the same way our Ohio competitors the Bluecoats have done in Texas. I would love for someone to tell me what the corps needs done and provide me with the materials and credentials to do it so that I could use my connections in this market voluntarily. But these feel like distant pipe dreams with the deafening silence and cancellations that have come from Toledo. Further still, the Glassmen posted a relatively low number from what I had been hoping for tonight, and it will be harder to convince the students that they will have the "expeience of a lifetime" if finals isn't at least a near-surety. I know from my experience in BOA as a high schooler that sitting in the stands on Saturday night unexpectedly stings like the dickens, and to end a season that way can be truly tragic. It will negatively impact the corps' ability to retain veterans and recruit new membership, the two biggest contributors to the corps' current inability to compete where it has before. I understand that more of the alum haven't marched finals, but you have to go back 15 years for this to be true. I mean no disrespect to the corps heritage here, but in a world that is quickly running out of room for corps outside of the top 8, being #13 when you've been #5 will unnecessarily handicap the development of a corps that has proven its ability to be considered a possible championship contender in the past.

I believe this corps has the capacity to be a true great, but I do not know if it has the will to make the necessary changes. If the corps is just as satisfied being in the stands on Saturday night, then I'll be happy for them. I really do love this years program. It's so very well designed, the visual execution is breathtaking, and the percussion is right there in the mix. I wish the G-Brass were performing better. I'll still be hoping for the Spirit leapfrog, no matter how distant. But at the same time, I believe it would be unwise to refuse acknowledging the metaphorical rut we find ourselves in.