A GE question

Teal sound has a mic'ed violin in field competition this year. If a brass or percussion judge can adequately judge the mic'ed violin ( by virtue of professional experience and/ or training) that judge can sure as hell determine if 5,000 people in the stands like a show, or don't like a show.

This activity has already crossed the Rubicon long ago that these judges can adequately compare and contrast such completely dissimilar shows between Corps as we see today. I start from the premise that we are asking judges already to essentially do the impossible.... ie, judge totally dissimilar things. So, if 5-10 judges can get a little help from 5,000- 30,000 fans as what seems to be working and what isn't, then I say let them hear from the audience. Otherwise, what the heck, don't have an audience... just perform in an empty stadium in front of 10 very very smart people.

sounds great in that world BUT I can tell you they dont believe in the fickle likes and dislikes of an audiance. This I know 1st hand been through that conversation a million times. Should it be that way? maybe not but I know they feel there is way more to GE than just an emotional crowd and they also believe that a big ovation doesnt mean it was a good show or even done well......just look back on the post even posters here several say NEVER make an audiance decide anything. not saying i agree or not just sayin how it is....or my experience with it in the past and NOW

Edited by GUARDLING

incorrect. if you do not execute, it will not be effective

Cadets 98 and Cavaliers 01 were extremely on the edge of that. Both having people out of step, almost falling down on each other (and in Cavies 01, they actually did).

I love and hold both of those shows dear to my heart, but execution wise they were not anywhere near what I would expect from a champion. Their programs were too hard for them, but the sheer energy compelled them to the top.

They were effective, but not completely executed well.

• Like 1

Cadets 98 and Cavaliers 01 were extremely on the edge of that. Both having people out of step, almost falling down on each other (and in Cavies 01, they actually did).

I love and hold both of those shows dear to my heart, but execution wise they were not anywhere near what I would expect from a champion. Their programs were too hard for them, but the sheer energy compelled them to the top.

They were effective, but not completely executed well.

its not just based on execution

its not just based on execution

Never said it was.

That comment was a direct response to Mr. Ream who thinks that if you do not execute well you do not have General Effect. I've witnessed many shows executed under the level of others that I thought were Effective, given the current criterion.

Never said it was.

That comment was a direct response to Mr. Ream who thinks that if you do not execute well you do not have General Effect. I've witnessed many shows executed under the level of others that I thought were Effective, given the current criterion.

im agreeing..to a point if its a hot mess it can destroy an effect if its minor and effect can still work..thats where a judge evaluates the exact situation

And that, in itself, is subjective. :-)

OH! its very subjective, most all of it is.....let me add there is also a double standard what BD or Cavies..or whoever is in the top 5 get away with , no way in hell are the 10th-25 gonna get away with the same issue...some staffs even laugh about it

sounds great in that world BUT I can tell you they dont believe in the fickle likes and dislikes of an audiance. This I know 1st hand been through that conversation a million times. Should it be that way? maybe not but I know they feel there is way more to GE than just an emotional crowd and they also believe that a big ovation doesnt mean it was a good show or even done well......just look back on the post even posters here several say NEVER make an audiance decide anything. not saying i agree or not just sayin how it is....or my experience with it in the past and NOW

This notion that judges think that the vast numbers of people in the audience are intellectual oafs, and can only respond to " emotional shows " as opposed to" intellectual shows " is ludicrous. Judges are not stupid. They realize that DCI crowds are a diverse group of people of varying degrees of musical training, tastes, experiences, likes, dislikes. In the crowd will be everything from professors of music to bubble gum chewing teenagers whose older brother is in one of the Corps and who made her boyfriend come to the show despite his not knowing a mellophone from a smartphone. Judges " get that ". The idea that judges can not ascertain if a show is connecting with a diverse audience is a specious argument in my opinion, and does not give credit to the judge's abilities to determine such things.

Edited by BRASSO

This notion that judges think that the vast numbers of people in the audience are intellectual oafs, and can only respond to " emotional shows " as opposed to" intellectual shows " is ludicrous. Judges are not stupid. They realize that DCI crowds are a diverse group of people of varying degrees of musical training, tastes, experiences, likes, dislikes. In the crowd will be everything from professors of music to bubble gum chewing cheerleaders whose brother is in one of the Corps and who made her boyfriend come despite not knowing a mellophone from a smartphone. Judges " get that ". The idea that judges can not ascertain if a show is connecting with an audience is a speciois argument in my opinion, and does not give credit to the judge's abilities to determine such.

really not trying to debate you at all just giving my INSIDE view of what I hear and see...judges have said point blank I dont listen to the audiance at all. And if it does go on the sheet like WGI guard has it still be be an interpertation of that individual judge.....harsh but true...I wish it were different..believe me

I also wasnt refering to types of shows emotional or otherwise I was refering to reactions of emotion

flip side of this can a judge see if a corps can connect with an audiance on some level...yes

Edited by GUARDLING