Voting?

Who likes the fan voting?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. who likes the fan voting (and waiting for results)

• Voting is good and waiting is fine
    • Waiting for results sucks, but voting is fine
    • Voting is bad

I LIKE the idea of fan voting.

How many times have you seen a show where the fans went wild for a corps and the judges butchered the score? What show were they watching?

This may let OUR voice be heard!

I don't have a problem with fan voting, but aren't you really limiting the number of voters by requiring they have to have a phone that allows internet connection? A lot of folks like me still have cell phones that just text. It's my understanding those phones could not be used.

Can you think of an easy way to allow fans to rank corps via text message? You would have to account for spelling errors, abbreviations, spacing (people typing Blue Coats, for example), etc. Some people might type in numbers before the corps names...there are tons of different things to account for.

I was at both competitions.

Both nights at least 90% of the crowd left immediately after the last performance. Hardly anyone stuck around to witness the fan scoring.

I think this may reveal that drum corps fans, on the whole, really do not care all that much about scores - they go for the entertainment value - and the ones who do care about scores are us fanatics who end up here on DCP.

So you were at both shows and therefore you are in a position to say only 5% voted?

That may very well be the case, it just seems like a silly assumption though until we see some real statistics.

I know at many shows even where the judged scores are announced, the stadium clears out.

Even in Allentown every year, you see swarms of people (including myself) leave before everything is all said and done. Mainly because I want to get out to the lot

and start the little "Reuinions" that start at all of these shows.

Usually, I can hear the PA speaker plenty loud from the lot anyway so I dont feel that I have to stay glued to my seat starring at an empty field to hear a result.

I somehow doubt this thread is made if your favorite corps wasnt near the bottom of the rankings tonight.

Alex,

Not really. The post is made to highlight the differences with other judged activities, and with Drum Corp. I doubt seriously that the lack of fans has anything to do with judging or voting, but rather more participating and the fact that Drum Corp Music will never make a top 10 music chart. As for finding out what "fans" think, my guess is that is very highly subjective, and quite predictable.

Seems more like a way to stir up controversy and, therefore, interest. And, if applied to other judged activities, it would not necessarily improve them. IE, Diving, Ice Skating, Ice Dancing, Ballroom Dancing... Seems like they want to tap into American Idol or "so you think you can dance." Either way, fans make lousy judges and the general public make even worse judges.

MW