Voting?

Who likes the fan voting?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. who likes the fan voting (and waiting for results)

• Voting is good and waiting is fine
    • Waiting for results sucks, but voting is fine
    • Voting is bad

I was at both competitions.

Both nights at least 90% of the crowd left immediately after the last performance. Hardly anyone stuck around to witness the fan scoring.

I think this may reveal that drum corps fans, on the whole, really do not care all that much about scores - they go for the entertainment value - and the ones who do care about scores are us fanatics who end up here on DCP.

Both nights at least 90% of the crowd left immediately after the last performance. Hardly anyone stuck around to witness the fan scoring.

I think this may reveal that drum corps fans, on the whole, really do not care all that much about scores - they go for the entertainment value - and the ones who do care about scores are us fanatics who end up here on DCP.

Wouldn't that confirm that they don't care about fan voting and care about judge scoring?

I'm not sure that's the right conclusion to draw.

These fans knew they weren't going to be given judges scores. At judged events, people stay for that. Not everyone, no, but the vast majority.

Fan voting, flawed and buggy as it is, will be a good thing. Once it establishes credibility it will transform

the way shows are designed and ultimately result in more fan appeal. It may even help to bring fan appeal in

line with judge's scoring.

Give them a chance to make it work. It'll take some time.

Note that this is coming from someone who's homer corps did not do well with it and someone who generally

prefers art over entertainment. But it is time to do this to figure out a way to get improved feedback on fan appeal.

• Like 2

Fan voting, flawed and buggy as it is, will be a good thing. Once it establishes credibility it will transform

the way shows are designed and ultimately result in more fan appeal. It may even help to bring fan appeal in

Note that this is coming from someone who's homer corps did not do well with it and someone who generally

prefers art over entertainment. But it is time to do this to figure out a way to get improved feedback on fan appeal.

I agree completely.

I don't have a problem with fan voting, but aren't you really limiting the number of voters by requiring they have to have a phone that allows internet connection? A lot of folks like me still have cell phones that just text. It's my understanding those phones could not be used.

That's an interesting POV. Care to expand on that? Seems like most people would say just the opposite (bring judge's scoring in line with fan appeal).

I agree with your general assertion -- that fan voting will be a good thing once it establishes credibility. Unfortunately DCI does not seem to have made a great start in this regard (which is kind of odd -- SMS gateway tech is well-established and I'd have expected DCI to have gotten some solid advice on their implementation).

That's an interesting POV. Care to expand on that? Seems like most people would say just the opposite (bring judge's scoring in line with fan appeal).

I agree with your general assertion -- that fan voting will be a good thing once it establishes credibility. Unfortunately DCI does not seem to have made a great start in this regard (which is kind of odd -- SMS gateway tech is well-established and I'd have expected DCI to have gotten some solid advice on their implementation).

It has to do with the question: What is GE? Personally I think that judges follow the show designers' lead in answering that question.

When show designers decide they are going for more fan appeal, judges may follow suit are reward those things more than they have

in the past. Just a hunch.

Another thing that will occur is that we will finally get an answer to the question of fan bias. If Phantom wins fan voting in Rockford, Cadets win in

Allentown, BD or SCV win in Stanford, etc. we will know that fan bias is real. It'll highlight the need to balance that with a tour schedule that has more parity.

Ultimately, more information is better, even if it isn't perfect.

Anyone else remember the "HotChops" fan voting awards sponsored by ChopSaver a few years ago? I believe that was successful (much as trivia voting in basketball/football stadiums is successful) because it was literally as easy as could be... text "corps name" to #####. Seemed to work pretty well.