Music City Hype!

The numbers don't mean much at this point. Same with Forte and a few other Open Class corps. (feels weird calling them "open class")

They have not gone head to head with any other Open Class corps. They could throw up a 91.3 and it still wouldn't mean squat till you have a field to be judged against.

August 4th MC hits an Open Class field. And I bet they do well.

Can't wait to see the corps here in Erie!

The very best to Music City this season!!

Music City is improving. They are attempting some difficult things. As they continue to improve I expect that their scores will rise.

Good luck MC,

Mikey

You are quite right sir. In the end it's all about achievement. Having seen just about every world class show at this point, I can honestly say our book is right up there with the top 12 in world. In fact, there are not many musical books that are harder than what we are asking our kids to play. Those world class corps are just achieving at this point and we are not there yet. Not to steal a line from Roman, but we are getting better every day. I am definitely anxious to hit some shows with other open class corps to see how we stack up at that point. I know every corp out there is busting there butts right now, and it seems like it's over 100 a lot more than usual this year. I'm proud of everyone putting in the hard work in this activity. .

• Like 3

Just remember, BD wasn't BD for a few years after they got started! Music City needs seasoning and their instructors and arrangers need experience. I look forward to seeing how they grow in the next few years! :thumbup:

I think we will have a steady climb up in score as we continue to achieve. It's all about the achievement.

The core of the staff has many years of experience teaching the activity. I think that's how the group has gotten where it is in this third year of existence.

Please come see the show somewhere if you can. We continue to improve every day. The videos and stuff from earlier really don't do the group justice as to where it is now.

Thanks for the continued support!

• Like 1

I think we will have a steady climb up in score as we continue to achieve. It's all about the achievement.

The core of the staff has many years of experience teaching the activity. I think that's how the group has gotten where it is in this third year of existence.

Please come see the show somewhere if you can. We continue to improve every day. The videos and stuff from earlier really don't do the group justice as to where it is now.

Thanks for the continued support!

I wish MC all the best this summer. It takes time and patients to get to the next level. I like your attitude regarding your corps. Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. It take 5-6 years to develop a program. I would suggest to you the following. Remember that a lot of people read this forum. most, have nothing but the best wishes for all the corps. However, you need to watch the comparisons to other corps and remember that you are being seen in the public eye as a spokes person for your corps. It is good to support your kids, but make sure you seperate public from personal views and desires.

I only say this from experience of regretting getting into it with others in this forum. I try to keep in the back of my mind, what is public and private news and ideas. I hope MC closes the gap, for the kids sake. I do not want a "dissapointing placing" disrupt what is slowly turning into a solid corps in a location that does not have a lot of drum corps. Good luck to music city!

Edited by Splooie99
  • Like 3

I wish MC all the best this summer. It takes time and patients to get to the next level. I like your attitude regarding your corps. Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. It take 5-6 years to develop a program. I would suggest to you the following. Remember that a lot of people read this forum. most, have nothing but the best wishes for all the corps. However, you need to watch the comparisons to other corps and remember that you are being seen in the public eye as a spokes person for your corps. It is good to support your kids, but make sure you seperate public from personal views and desires.

I only say this from experience of regretting getting into it with others in this forum. I try to keep in the back of my mind, what is public and private news and ideas. I hope MC closes the gap, for the kids sake. I do not want a "dissapointing placing" disrupt what is slowly turning into a solid corps in a location that does not have a lot of drum corps. Good luck to music city!

Thanks for your comments. My question to you would be have you seen our show?

I was not really speaking about placement. I was talking more about how the scoring works. We have an incredibly hard book. As we continue to clean it and achieve higher, our score will continue to rise. I think that's just the nature of how the system works, right? And I stand by the difficulty of our music. I'm not saying we are trying to play like this group or look like that group. I was commenting on the level of the music. We are basically asking our kids to play in about 10 different styles of music throughout the show, from swing to funk/disco to Russian. That's hard. I know everyone works hard in this activity. I just know what's hard and what's not as hard. I'm a brass player, and let's just say this is not my first time at the rodeo.

Now, I realize I represent our organization, but for the moment, I would drop that title and speak as myself, an individual educator. Frankly, I care about two things. I want what we do to be entertaining for the crowd. Maybe that's my background of when and where I marched speaking. Without that, what do we have? There are a lot more entertaining shows this year than I have seen in a while, and I believe that's DCI pushing to move back to a more "user-friendly" format. If the kids I teach go out and play a crowd-pleasing show and have a great time every night, then I feel good about what I am doing, regardless of what the scores say. The second thing is that the kids improve. I want them to come and do this activity and learn something. I think we are retaining so many members because the kids that come and march for us really do learn a lot. I'm not making a judgement on any other organization by saying that. I'm merely saying that I'm an educator, that's my job. If the kids are learning to play and perform better, both in this activity and out, I am doing my job.

Thanks again for the comments of support.

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments. My question to you would be have you seen our show?

I was not really speaking about placement. I was talking more about how the scoring works. We have an incredibly hard book. As we continue to clean it and achieve higher, our score will continue to rise. I think that's just the nature of how the system works, right? And I stand by the difficulty of our music. I'm not saying we are trying to play like this group or look like that group. I was commenting on the level of the music. We are basically asking our kids to play in about 10 different styles of music throughout the show, from swing to funk/disco to Russian. That's hard. I know everyone works hard in this activity. I just know what's hard and what's not as hard. I'm a brass player, and let's just say this is not my first time at the rodeo.

Now, I realize I represent our organization, but for the moment, I would drop that title and speak as myself, an individual educator. Frankly, I care about two things. I want what we do to be entertaining for the crowd. Maybe that's my background of when and where I marched speaking. Without that, what do we have? There are a lot more entertaining shows this year than I have seen in a while, and I believe that's DCI pushing to move back to a more "user-friendly" format. If the kids I teach go out and play a crowd-pleasing show and have a great time every night, then I feel good about what I am doing, regardless of what the scores say. The second thing is that the kids improve. I want them to come and do this activity and learn something. I think we are retaining so many members because the kids that come and march for us really do learn a lot. I'm not making a judgement on any other organization by saying that. I'm merely saying that I'm an educator, that's my job. If the kids are learning to play and perform better, both in this activity and out, I am doing my job.

Thanks again for the comments of support.

Superbly put. Placement never defined success for me when I marched. Improving my craft, and consistently perfoming at my peak defined a successful season to me personally. The program will grow, and you'll have a solid foundation to ride on.