Bluecoats 2011 - A Brave New Creep

Best opener in DCI 2011?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best opener in DCI 2011?

Here is how my Bluecoats are doing, after watching DCI Minnesota this past weekend:

3) They still need to add more "Creep" to the show for this to move up in rankings. The main reason why Phantom Regiment beat them is because of GE, and the Bluecoats show just doesn't have enough of it, musically (note: I say musically because the guard work is one of the best this year, even though the judges don't agree yet).

I love Creep as much as the next guy, but I think you put too much emphasis on this one portion to magically infuse their show with Top 3 potential. Does the show need a bit more redesign? Yes, but if it were that simple, I think they would have done it already.

Wait. So, one poster in a show review thread called them loudest corps this year and that makes it a routine? Crown, Cadets, Madison, & Bluestars are every bit as loud or louder than them.... not that it matters. Their horn line is very solid, so I could care less if they are the loudest.

Well, for what it's worth, they were definitely the louder than Cadets, Cavaliers and Madison at Broken Arrow (I don't think I put that in my review, but I might have). :tongue:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as most of you know already, the Bluecoats rolled out their new closer in Atlanta. :worthy:

They have decided to put most of their effort this summer into polishing the middle to back half of the show, which were the obvious weak spots. No new "Creep" or infusion of that theme into the rest of the show. Love it or hate it, the staff has stuck by its original design and have worked on tweaking what was already there.

While I still think my suggestions in the first post would have made the Coats contend for the top 4 this year, their technical prowess will definitely get them to #5, past Phantom Regiment, who has a MUCH more entertaining and powerful show design. A Blue Devils approach, if you will....

That being said, here are the changes that they HAVE made, and I like all of them (unlike some corps changes....ahem PR). These are in order of best changes to good changes :)

1. The "Terminator" drum break -- this was added going into the last 1/3 of the show and it really rocks. They bring it back as a transition into the closing drill as well, which works very well.

2. The closer -- seems much more like a finale now, and the company front has a nice twist to it, with a few horns staying back from the front and then running up individually. Great effect I think.

3. The Creep "power wedge" -- some subtle changes here, noticed only if you have been closely following them throughout the summer. No more "gaps" and the breathing is timed out very well so a wall of sound continues throughout the entire opener. Easily the loudest section of any corps this year.

4. The closing of "Deus Ex Machina" -- this was really a sore spot at the beginning of the season, and has been cleaned up and now "flows" as good as it could.

5. The "bow" at the end of the opener. The whole entire corps was taking a bow which looked really weird. Now, just the mellos do it and it seems to work.

I'm sure I missed some, but I would love to hear everyone's take on the show so far, especially the performance from Atlanta.