Holes

Has anyone heard of any corps that are straight up waiving the tuition for hornline spots?? If so sign me up.

I'm personally hoping no corps does that. It's not fair to the current marchers and there are always others out there who have realized they really can march this season, later than they could have realized it to be on board from the beginning. If the corps put out the word and spread it around, they'll find someone who doesn't insist on having the tuition waived. After all, they didn't have the expense of traveling in to multiple camps up until now, nor the sacrifice of working corps into their school studies.

Someone—even now—who would insist on tuition expenses being waived (and I'm not saying that necessarily would be you) is someone who wants to be in corps more for themselves and not the entire team. Tuition (which we used to call dues until the past few years) is part of the sacrifice demonstrating that you're an equal to your fellow corpsmates, not someone who gets special treatment.

• Like 1

I'm personally hoping no corps does that. It's not fair to the current marchers and there are always others out there who have realized they really can march this season, later than they could have realized it to be on board from the beginning. If the corps put out the word and spread it around, they'll find someone who doesn't insist on having the tuition waived. After all, they didn't have the expense of traveling in to multiple camps up until now, nor the sacrifice of working corps into their school studies.

Someone—even now—who would insist on tuition expenses being waived (and I'm not saying that necessarily would be you) is someone who wants to be in corps more for themselves and not the entire team. Tuition (which we used to call dues until the past few years) is part of the sacrifice demonstrating that you're an equal to your fellow corpsmates, not someone who gets special treatment.

While I agree, I do like the idea of prorating the dues, so you pay for when you started, not before.

Regiment and SCV used to do this for late joiners. They take the total corps dues and divide by total number of corps days, then prorate for when you join.

You would be surprised at stories of tuition being waved for some people especially in the middle of the season like this when they are urgently trying to fill holes. Not that i think I am better than everyone else and dont have to pay but this summer i simply cant pay. If there's a spot for free somewhere I would gladly take it being a veteran of a corps and I'm just putting it out there.

if someone cant pay then they cant march..simple as that the more corps and winter programs do that type of thing the bigger the probloem gets with members who feel a sense of entitlement. It's a epidemic and serious. Too many kids have stiffed great programs...some in the winter that have folded for these reasons.

Get a job and go back next year i say. If its an age out then oooo well, a life lesson in preparing or having to make choices.

Dont mean for it to sound harsh, Ive just seen to many dead beat members ruining programs....good luck anyway lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

if someone cant pay then they cant march..simple as that the more corps and winter programs do that type of thing the bigger the probloem gets with members who feel a sense of entitlement. It's a epidemic and serious. Too many kids have stiffed great programs...some in the winter that have folded for these reasons.

Get a job and go back next year i say. If its an age out then oooo well, a life lesson in preparing or having to make choices.

Dont mean for it to sound harsh, Ive just seen to many dead beat members ruining programs.

No i do understand where you're coming from but look at it from my point of view. If it's happening i might as well take advantage of it. And im not stiffing anyone because im not marching anywhere under the agreement that I'll pay them I will literally just save up and make sure i start the season with a corps next year. Also the year I marched I payed up front all the money I owed before the season started.

Edited by GlassmenBtone

No i do understand where you're coming from but look at it from my point of view. If it's happening i might as well take advantage of it. And im not stiffing anyone because im not marching anywhere under the agreement that I'll pay them I will literally just save up and make sure i start the season with a corps next year.

i guess you have a point..at least you arent stiffing someone with all the promises that many manke and dont keep....good luck to ya...i see your name as GlassmenBtone..i heard they need a bari...not sure though....good luck.............dont get me wrong either I have paid for many to march or helped out and I do admire that you are upfront as well as not one of the deadbeats