Old Bridge, NJ (6/26)

Interesting how BAC was 1.1 better than Madison in music last night, but the Scouts were 1.7 better tonight. Guess a different judge can make that much of a swing in one day.

For those of you giving credit or blame to the judges for the score differential, here is another perspective that sounds much more reasonable to me.

The Scouts had a ten hour plus bus ride to Arlington and only 2 hours floor time. They were all very tired. After a very short rehearsal day, they had a 3 hour trip to the show. That would be about 14 bus hours out of the last 24 hours. According to a staff member in a call home, the corps did not have it's best performance in Arlington. My son, who is a section leader and 3rd year Scout, verified all this.

Old Bridge saw a refreshed corps which was rested and focused, and had the energy and enthusiasm to blow the house down as only they can. The Scouts were on it and the judges scored it! So I think the credit for the score difference goes to the Scouts and their marvelous staff.

The Scouts are currently in 5th place in scoring standings and it looks like they are headed higher. Go Madison! :thumbup:

Jim

Edit: Oops! My error. They were in 5th before the west coast scores. You are correct: 7th place now and heading upward!

Edited by engsubman
  • Like 1

I saw 3 Boston Crusaders on the ground (from the Snare Line) 2 of them lost their scoops when they tumbled, 1 had the scoop dragging along as they marched off the field.

1 saw 3 Jersey Surf Horn players go down..3 Mellos..1 Mello got trampled on...oh man..her plume was broken, It was a back up move...

This field was astro turf...I would hate to see these corps try to march on grass...OH MY MY MY!

We hope that all the players and performers are ok!!!

There was another fall too, wasn't there? Saw a few near-misses too. Lots to clean everywhere, but that's what June drum corps is, right?

Kudos to the percussion judge that gave BAC's end snare a set of sticks so that he could finish the show after their line fell down!

It was wonderful to hear actual full melodies in drum corps again!!!

Edited by kac

For those of you giving credit or blame to the judges for the score differential, here is another perspective that sounds much more reasonable to me.

The Scouts had a ten hour plus bus ride to Arlington and only 2 hours floor time. They were all very tired. After a very short rehearsal day, they had a 3 hour trip to the show. That would be about 14 bus hours out of the last 24 hours. According to a staff member in a call home, the corps did not have it's best performance in Arlington. My son, who is a section leader and 3rd year Scout, verified all this.

Old Bridge saw a refreshed corps which was rested and focused, and had the energy and enthusiasm to blow the house down as only they can. The Scouts were on it and the judges scored it! So I think the credit for the score difference goes to the Scouts and their marvelous staff.

The Scouts are currently in 5th place in scoring standings and it looks like they are headed higher. Go Madison! :thumbup:

Jim

Don't know where you get the 5th place thing.

if you go strictly by last score acheived.

Cadets 78.80

Cavaliers 78.60

Blue Devils 77.70

Phantom 76.05

Crown 75.70

Santa Clara 74.55

Madison 74.10

Bluecoats 74.00

Blue Stars 72.40

Blue Knights 71.45

Boston 70.10

Spirit 68.60

Glassmen 68.00

Troopers 67.80

Crossmen 65.00

Academy 64.40

Mandarins 64.10

Pacific Crest 63.55

Teal Sound 59.40

Jersey Surf 56.80

Pioneer 56.40

And if you use a more accurate spread based calculation the results would be more realistic based on spreads against other corps.

Cavaliers 79.20

Cadets 78.26

Blue Devils 77.48

Crown 75.98

Bluecoats 75.60

Phantom 75.21

Madison 73.71

Santa Clara 73.67

Blue Stars 72.29

Blue Knights 71.45

Boston 69.98

Academy 68.30

Glassmen 68.03

Spirit 67.76

Troopers 67.44

Crossmen 64.91

Mandarins 64.10

Pacific Crest 63.55

Teal Sound 61.50

Jersey Surf 56.80

Pioneer 56.16

Either way you cut it - Scouts are sitting in 7th not 5th - but they are looking like a contender for the top 8 this year.

Edited by bluecoats88

Will people ever stop with "Rankings"?

Its so comical. You CANNOT score corps "against" other corps who performed in a different venue under different judges.

If the Red Sox beat the Angels 9-4 at one game, and the Rangers beat the A's 4-2 in another,

can you say the Angels tied the Rangers and beat the A's?

No. Different scores, during different games at a different park.

I know were all excited about our corps scores (whoever your corps is) but just take it a show at time!

Edited by TastyWaves
  • Like 1

About percussion... my son (who was there) said that the Boston snare line fell down tonight. They literally took a tumble!

From what I could see around 3 snare drummers took a tumble right before the company front and 1812 push. They got up right away and back in form. It did not appear to hamper the corps musically I hope they are all ok.

Don't know where you get the 5th place thing.

if you go strictly by last score acheived.

Cadets 78.80

Cavaliers 78.60

Blue Devils 77.70

Phantom 76.05

Crown 75.70

Santa Clara 74.55

Madison 74.10

Bluecoats 74.00

Blue Stars 72.40

Blue Knights 71.45

Boston 70.10

Spirit 68.60

Glassmen 68.00

Troopers 67.80

Crossmen 65.00

Academy 64.40

Mandarins 64.10

Pacific Crest 63.55

Teal Sound 59.40

Jersey Surf 56.80

Pioneer 56.40

And if you use a more accurate spread based calculation the results would be more realistic based on spreads against other corps.

Cavaliers 79.20

Cadets 78.26

Blue Devils 77.48

Crown 75.98

Bluecoats 75.60

Phantom 75.21

Madison 73.71

Santa Clara 73.67

Blue Stars 72.29

Blue Knights 71.45

Boston 69.98

Academy 68.30

Glassmen 68.03

Spirit 67.76

Troopers 67.44

Crossmen 64.91

Mandarins 64.10

Pacific Crest 63.55

Teal Sound 61.50

Jersey Surf 56.80

Pioneer 56.16

Either way you cut it - Scouts are sitting in 7th not 5th - but they are looking like a contender for the top 8 this year.

You may friend are easily excitable. :smile: No more than some of my Brothers . :smile:

Edited by Bill L.
  • Like 1

Will people ever stop with "Rankings"?

Its so comical. You CANNOT score corps "against" other corps who performed in a different venue under different judges.

If the Red Sox beat the Angels 9-4, but the Rangers beat the A's 4-2, can you say the Angels tied the Rangers and beat the A's?

No. Different scores, during different games at a different park.

I know were all excited about our corps scores (whoever your corps is) but just take it a show at time!

well in baseball you can't because it is an actual sporting competition with a set results (ie, actual runs scored)

however, drum corps is a judged competition and if you compare spreads across all corps you can get a fairly accurate picture of the current state of the competition. I have been tracking spreads since 1990 and the standings it provides has been relatively accurate when corps meet head to head.

using current score is not useful since when a corps takes a couple days off their score won't change and others will go up, this is why you need to use spreads in order to keep these corps in their relative location based on their competition.

well in baseball you can't because it is an actual sporting competition with a set results (ie, actual runs scored)

however, drum corps is a judged competition and if you compare spreads across all corps you can get a fairly accurate picture of the current state of the competition. I have been tracking spreads since 1990 and the standings it provides has been relatively accurate when corps meet head to head.

using current score is not useful since when a corps takes a couple days off their score won't change and others will go up, this is why you need to use spreads in order to keep these corps in their relative location based on their competition.

Exactly. "Fairly accurate" is a loose term with no real ranking value.

Swings of 1-4 points can happen at any time as it did the first two nights with Crown.

I follow the scores too and its fun to look at them, but not a way to determine real "rank".