Blue Devils 2011 show is elevator music?

When I first heard BD was doing Burt Bacharach, I thought uh-oh, this could be a mistake. When I first saw them live, I thought this IS a mistake. I saw them live 3 times. This show was bland elevator music. This show was really lame. No high points. As of tonight, they have tried to spice it up, at least a little. It does suck less. I spoke to one of the top 5 directors about 2 1/2 weeks ago about BD's show. He basically said that yes it was elevator music with some jazz runs thrown in. And that the audience doesn't get the building the house (is not a home) thing with the props. I thought to myself, it can't that bad. Then, when I saw them for the first time live, i realized it was that bad. It's a shame, because I really liked their show the last 2 years. If BD doesn't win this year, it will be because of the Bacharach theme and Wayne Downey's arrangements, i.e. tonight, they were .5 behind Cadets in GE music. How much did they lose the show by? About 5 tenths. Wayne Downey has had lot of great years. But, I think he's losing it. Who picked the Bacharach theme? He (they) needs to go. Maybe it's time to get some fresh blood in there next year. As for salvaging this year, maybe they should dump the entire show in the middle of the season, like Madison did in 76. They almost pulled it off. This is nothing against the kids in the corps or the cleaning staff, they are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. This show is a waste of some superb talent.

REALLY?!?!?!?!

Some peoples posts never cease to amaze me

You blame the brass book for the GE Music score......you seem to forget that percussion arranging is also part of that score......maybe you didn't forget, I am going to guess that you don't actually know the scoring system that well because if you did you wouldn't have made that comment in the way you did. And this is not me blaming percussion or brass, I actually like the show.

Why don't you volunteer your services, and select/arrange a winning show for them.....I guess 14 Championships isn't enough for you

Edited by dbg
  • Like 5

If Wayne Downey is losing it, I hope he sends some of "it" this way, because I'd love to be as out of "it" as he is. He's just come off two (and almost three) undefeated seasons. One doesn't lose "it" in just one year.

A funny thing is, when many others heard the corps was doing Bacharach, they were ecstatic that BD was doing something different from last year, (a show that I loved).

If BD doesn't win, it will mostly be due to so many other corps being spectacular this year.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."—Michael Jordan

:thumbup:

Just think, everyone reminds us that BD almost had 3 in a row if they won 2008.......well, if that happened it would have been 4 in a row. I totally understand how people can have opinion and I think that is great....but it is how far people take those opinion at times that make them come off ignorant/arrogant.

Like the Michael Jordan quote Mr. Boo.

• Like 1

Good to know we have are priorities in line here...

Dear kids, all that matters in the arts is whether you win or lose. Who cares that most of your audience doesn't appreciate you, we are winning.

It isn't that winning is the most important thing.....my reason for pointing that out is because Wayne Downey and Scott Johnson have been apart of Blue Devils for everyone of those 14 Championships......I brought that up to illustrate the fact that THEY KNOW HOW TO WRITE A SHOW

• Like 1

Wayne Downey isn't the problem, but he can be part of the solution.

They need someone in the design department to push them away from this choppy writing.

Blue Devils, the Blue Devils I love, were known for long, flowing, incredible lines of melody and harmony. They weren't choppy, bang,bang,bang,motif,bang,bang,bang,motif. I really feel like they haven't given me that authentic BD since before 99 (exception '01).

• Like 6

Good to know we have are priorities in line here...

Dear kids, all that matters in the arts is whether you win or lose. Who cares that most of your audience doesn't appreciate you, we are winning.

kind of took that way out of context... The comment was about downey "losing" it. Took a long time this year to get a complaint about BD's music, but I guess that you simply cannot make everyone happy.

BTW< I have their CD. Really like the music this year.

If BD does not win, lets congratulate whoever does, and give them the credit. Come to think of it. let's do the same if BD does win.

• Like 1

kind of took that way out of context... The comment was about downey "losing" it. Took a long time this year to get a complaint about BD's music, but I guess that you simply cannot make everyone happy.

BTW< I have their CD. Really like the music this year.

If BD does not win, lets congratulate whoever does, and give them the credit. Come to think of it. let's do the same if BD does win.

He's equating their (downey and scott's) amount of wins to be an indicator of their greatness. I just don't think we should look at it like that.

(and I DO believe in their greatness)

• Like 3

He's equating their (downey and scott's) amount of wins to be an indicator of their greatness. I just don't think we should look at it like that.

(and I DO believe in their greatness)

Bad Playing + Bad Writing = Bad Placements

Good Playing + Bad Writing = Middle of the Road Placements

Bad Playing + Good Writing = Middle of the Road Placements

Good Playing + Good Writing = Good/Great Placements

(disclaimer to the above...it is only an analogy....someone has to finish in last place I am not saying that group or writing is bad)

So let me try to explain this a again......ok, Wayne and Scott have been a part of BD for all 14 Championships. You can't argue (although some will) that is an impressive thing. So amount if wins is not the only indicator "of their greatness".....but it shouldn't be ignored and factored in.

Now fine, someone might not like the show this year......so then is it completely valid to say that the arranger is "lossing it" and should be replaced ?

Another thing about the 14 wins.......it is funny to me how everyone has the guts to criticize the groups at the top and offer their opinions on how to make it better and "turn the season around for them"......but then they won't have the guts to offer what they like to call "constructive criticism" or opinions to help the groups that for one reason or another are always placing at the bottom and might actually need some help.

Edited by dbg
  • Like 1