Blue Devils 2011 show is elevator music?

Some musical genres lend themselves better to drum corps than others. Popular music tends to be highly repetitive, which does not

work well for drum corps shows. So in my mind it is a greater challenge to adapt popular music to drum corps than more composed music such

as classical or big band jazz pieces. Unless you put a lot of creative effort into it, a pop show is going to sound very bland. And if everyone just

sticks to what is easy to produce, shows will become very homogeneous from corps to corps.

Maybe I'm not sure what type of repetition you're talking about. Plenty classical and jazz music is also highly repetitive. Drum corps just tends to take out the repeats. Could you please clarify?

Maybe I'm not sure what type of repetition you're talking about. Plenty classical and jazz music is also highly repetitive. Drum corps just tends to take out the repeats. Could you please clarify?

Yes, Pachelbel's Canon in D Major or Ravel's Bolero, as just 2 examples, have very little " repetition ". ( haha)

Edited by BRASSO

Popular music tends to be based on very simple repetitive rhythms and song forms. You can get the essential compositional information for hundreds of popular songs in one song book that consists of the same number of pages as one symphony like Mahler's 6th.

And it gets more distinct in modern times. For a drum corps arranger there is a lot more raw material to directly lift from Asphalt Cocktail than from Eminem.

BD is boring as HE double hockey sticks. Where is the big band jazz sound with the creamy low brass and screaming trumpets?? Cant stand the props! Give me pegasus wings and One More Time Chick Correa! Just saying.

Hahaha! Beat me to it! :thumbup: