Tonight, I witnessed what is wrong with drum corps...

There were no less than three Cascades staff members managing the sound of their amplifications and synths... but there wasn't a single staff member that came to the aide of a horn line member that passed out in the show for 34 seconds.

The audience watched, with literal gasps, as a corps staff member FINALLY went over and checked on this kid... the numerous people managing the sound equipment, most readily available to help... chose to ignore the problem. Only one person can run the sound board... so what they were doing, that was so important they couldn't help a member, is beyond me.

Yes, heat strokes, and heat related things are frequent in the summers... but the maturity level of the staff and their response time in this show was unacceptable. Period.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 8

There were no less than three Cascades staff members managing the sound of their amplifications and synths... but there wasn't a single staff member that came to the aide of a horn line member that passed out in the show for 34 seconds.

The audience watched, with literal gasps, as a corps staff member FINALLY went over and checked on this kid... the numerous people managing the sound equipment, most readily available to help... chose to ignore the problem. Only one person can run the sound board... so what they were doing, that was so important they couldn't help a member, is beyond me.

Yes, heat strokes, and heat related things are frequent in the summers... but the maturity level of the staff and their response time in this show was unacceptable. Period.

Hope the young man/woman is doing better though.

edit: decided to remove comments...In retrospect...I probably should have kept my mouth shut in the first place

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Everything can't always be witnessed at field level. Sound people are not WATCHING the show. I think its poor taste to call a corps out like this. Sorry just my opinion.

These two staff members were in line of sight of said player and were less than 15 yards away.

The staff that eventually came to his rescue came were from within the bleachers, jumping the fences, yelling obscenities at the two that were just watching, on the way.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

Everything can't always be witnessed at field level. Sound people are not WATCHING the show. I think its poor taste to call a corps out like this. Sorry just my opinion.

How are they "sound people" when they can't operate any facet of the sound equipment while the show is playing. They were just standing there watching.

Sounds like a win-win for everybody! Amps, sickness, obscenity, fence-jumping, wow. Cascades 2011 has it all, man.

Did you see the greatest minds of your generation destroyed by madness too?

• Like 2

Did you see the greatest minds of your generation destroyed by madness too?

This is my generation... and we are lacking in the greatest minds department. :-)

Unfortunately, I'm lacking the correct utensils to concantenate myself into the greatest minds category, as well.

Obviously this is a terrible thing, but are you insinuating that today's drum corps staff is more concerned amplification than member health? Are you saying that amplification is what's wrong with drum corps today? Or irresponsible staff members?

These two staff members were in line of sight of said player and were less than 15 yards away.

The staff that eventually came to his rescue came were from within the bleachers, jumping the fences, yelling obscenities at the two that were just watching, on the way.

...and I also agree that there should be medical people standing by at ALL SHOWS for safety reasons..that is just plain common sense...

edit: decided to remove comments...In retrospect...I probably should have kept my mouth shut in the first place

Edited by Liahona

Obviously this is a terrible thing, but are you insinuating that today's drum corps staff is more concerned amplification than member health? Are you saying that amplification is what's wrong with drum corps today? Or irresponsible staff members?

There is a somewhat intended ambiguity. Because honestly, I don't know. I just know, at that moment... I knew why our product is looked down upon, while artistic outlets like figure skating are not. We do not have protocol. We don't have a hierarchy for who should react in these situations, how they should react in these situations. We don't have show rules about these things either.

It seems pretty straightforward that a corps would discuss with their staff how to handle situations like this. But, I guess, it would seem straightforward that DCI would have a system set up for this as well.

What are we going to do when someone gets SERIOUSLY injured, possibly dies on the field? What has DCI done to insure the safety of the members on teh field? What are the corps doing to address this? Honestly, it looks like nothing...nothing at all has been done. In just about every business setting, employees and subsidiaries are trained in emergency protocol and systems. The organization has a set of standards and responses to situations. I don't see that from DCI.

• Like 1