Minneapolis - where to stay, what to do?

Hell's Kitchen or Keys Restauant for breakfast! You need reservations at Hell's. Only a block or two apart. Key's is in the Foshay building.

Agree that going to some of the lakes is fun. Hit Lake Harriet, Lake of the Isles and Lake Calhoun - they are all in a row and pretty easy to navigate - bike is best!

For some pre-show grub, I would recommend Mesa (just a few blocks west of the stadium on University Ave).

I guess you are right, since school isn't in session you wouldn't have to worry about dodging drunkrexic sorority chicks on the road in dinky town... or strangers throwing up on my table. (all of which has happened)

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. :worthy: :worthy: I'm sure the wife and 16 year old daughter will want a say, so we will see.

Scouts only have a partial day of rehearsal and then some free time according to their website, not sure if our drummer will want to spend one of his free days with the old farts.

Who are the Twins playing? We are Rays fans from SW Florida and baseball is appealing.

Michael, it would be a privilege to spend some time with you. I'll lobby the bosses.

The beer haunts sound wonderful. It's almost impossible to get "real" beer in our neck of the woods.

We love jazz, any restrictions on 16 year olds at the jazz venue?

Hotel suggestions? Who has the most comfortable beds in the area?

Thanks Again! Jim

If you have your daughter with you and it is the weekend....

I reccommend Happy Gnome. Much more restauranty and there will be less issues of her being in there on the weekend.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. :worthy: :worthy: I'm sure the wife and 16 year old daughter will want a say, so we will see.

Scouts only have a partial day of rehearsal and then some free time according to their website, not sure if our drummer will want to spend one of his free days with the old farts.

Who are the Twins playing? We are Rays fans from SW Florida and baseball is appealing.

Michael, it would be a privilege to spend some time with you. I'll lobby the bosses.

The beer haunts sound wonderful. It's almost impossible to get "real" beer in our neck of the woods.

Thanks Again! Jim

A good way to kill two birds with one stone would be to spend your morning at the Mall of America and then take the light-rail to Target Field for the game. Good way to see most of the area and the commute takes about less than an hour.

As for the game itself, they're playing the Royals. Not much of a nail-biter, but you never know with the AL Central.

Even if you don't ending up going to the game/mall, the light-rail might make commuting easier.

There are a lot of really bad hotels in downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul.

I think you should stay out by the airport. There is a greater likelyhood of success there. There is also a nice, new hotel by the fairgrounds in Falcon Heights.

The downtown hotels kill you in multiple ways, many of which require parking to be paid for seperately (so you aren't getting a deal even if it looks like you are), plus, while the downtown is GREAT in daytime, at night, if you aren't on the mall, it is pretty scary.

Thanks Again! Jim

I've taken my teenage son to the Dakota before with no problems. Great jazz venue--nice intimate atmosphere great acoustics and sightlines, and they even have good food. They run an assortment of local acts and national touring artists. On the 17th, they're featuring an artist I've not heard of--Carrie Rodriguez:

http://dakotacooks.com/event/carrie-rodriguez/

Sounds intriguing, and the cover is only $15. I'd go myself, but I'm catching the Rippingtons there on the 19th.

FWIW...you will dig the Twins' new stadium if you can score some tickets.

Have a great trip!

I am sending you a PM with my contact info.

I don't want to be a downer here.......but it's gonna be Hot and Humid on Sunday. I lived in the Twin Cities for 10 years, and it can be nasty sticky. So.... maybe you'll want to opt for something indoors.

BTW.... I don't know about this Hell's Kitchen place, but I always considered Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown (on the campus of U of Minn) as the best breakfast in the world. It's tiny - something like 14 seats in the whole place, and it's like 10 feet wide. But that's part of the experience.

Enjoy!

I don't want to be a downer here.......but it's gonna be Hot and Humid on Sunday. I lived in the Twin Cities for 10 years, and it can be nasty sticky. So.... maybe you'll want to opt for something indoors.

That won't be a problem for us corps folk. We're of hardy stock and love the outdoors. That's why drum corps contests are held...uh...never mind.