Rockford Distractions

So me and my family will be driving up to Rockford tomorrow morning. It'll be our first time in that fair city, and we wanted to eat somewhere local and do something unique to Rockford before the Tour of Traitors Champions show. Any suggestions?

My wife is a microbrew connoisseur and loves to visit brewpubs in any city we visit. She found the site for Carlyle Brewing Company. Is it any good for lunch or should we do our eating elsewhere and just take in a beer there before the show?

What about this Burpee Museum of Natural History? My daughter loves the Field Museum and the Indianapolis Children's Museum. Or is there a better way to spend the afternoon on a presumably hot day?

Beefaroo is a Rockford institution, and if you go there it will give you a talking point with the natives and the PR people. It isn't particularly good, but it is a Rockford rite of passage.

There is a nice waterpark in town, name escapes me.

Minor league baseball.

Some decent parks by the river.

Rockford, is in no way, shape, or form a tourist town. There isn't much in the way of excitement there. Good luck!

AND THEY KNOW WHO OUTSIDERS ARE! :tongue: i remember going up to volunteer for phantom and when i went in to WalMart, they all kept looking at me, i was worried that my fly is down or something, but then i asked some volunteers and they say they knew you were an outsider :ph34r: it was weird!

Oh, I almost forgot another grungy Rockford food institution! Uncle Nick's Gyros. GOOD STUFF.

OOOOHhhhhhh......forgot about that place. Good Call.

Magic Water water park. There is an SDCA show in McHenry about and 1.5 hours away.

Edited by Mello Dude

Stockholm Inn for breakfast.

2420 Charles Street, Rockford, IL 61108.

Reservations: 815-397-3534.

Anderson Japanese Gardens

NOTICE: The restaurant, gift shop and garden operations are temporarily closed for construction of an expansion of the Visitor’s Center for the newest Mary’s Market location. The Visitor’s Center will reopen in May 2011.

Rockford's 12-acre, "pond-strolling" Japanese garden is acclaimed as one of the top two authentic gardens outside of Japan. Paths, waterfalls, ponds, Sukiya-style buildings, moon bridge and stone pagoda make the gardens an unforgettable show place. Anderson Japanese Gardens has been ranked "number one" in Sukiya Living Magazines's 2009 survey of over 300 public Japanese gardens in North America, an honor that has held since 2004.

318 Spring Creek Rd.

Rockford, Illinois 61107

(815) 229-9390

Anderson Japanese Gardens

Magic Waters Waterpark

Magic Waters Waterpark is WAVES OF FUN! Rockford Park District operates this family-friendly waterpark with high standards for safety, cleanliness, and friendly customer service. We're close by and a good value, so you can spend an enjoyable day together at an affordable vacation destination!

Attractions include "The Abyss" dark tube slide, SplashBlaster water coaster, Breaker Beach, a 707,000 gallon wave pool--Tsunami Bay, body slides, tube slides, SplashMagic River, Little Lagoon for the little tykes, Castaway Adventure Island, sand volleyball, lounge chairs, lockers, concessions, shade, picnic area (coolers and picnics welcome, no alcohol).

7820 Cherryvale North Blvd.

Cherry Valley, Illinois 61016

(815) 966-2442

Jane at the Burpee Museum of Natural History

New exhibit "Jane: The Diary of a Dinosaur;" T. Rex and mammoth skeletal casts; coal forest w/ simulated thunderstorms, 3-culture Native American exhibit, geo-science exhibit, viewable lab, green roof, store; underground connection to other museums.

737 N. Main

Rockford, Illinois 61103

Discovery Center Museum

Experience a world of hands-on investigation and fun-filled exploration at this children's museum with more than 250 hands-on art and science exhibits, planetarium, TV studio, robotics lab, special events, traveling exhibits and entertaining classes for children and families. Tot Spot for toddlers. Discovery Center boasts the nation's first community-built outdoor science park featuring 8,000 square feet of wooden fun including a two-story maze, water play area and dinosaur fossil dig pit. Recognized as one of the top 10 (tied for 4th) science museums in the country by Child Magazine, named one of the nation's top ten children's museums by The National Geographic Society, and designated as a Good to Grow! Museum by the Association of Children's Museums for making significant strides to promote health and wellness.

711 N. Main

Rockford, Illinois 61103

That'll get you started!

Garry in Vegas (who wishes he was in Rockford, too!)

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Thanks CrunchyTenor! The Discovery Center looks like just the thing for my daughter. If it weren't so hot, I'd love to go to the Japanese Garden.

Woo, can't wait for the show tonight. It's going to be freaking hot at start time! :thumbdown: And it looks like the home side stands face west. ~Hooray.~