stuck mouth pieces

stein456

I have a beginners group and I have found myself constantly dealing with stuck mouth pieces. I don't have the machine that removes them. Any ideas on how to remove stuck pieces? I find the "kelly's" (the kids like them)get stuck frequently (as well as the Bach's)and removing them might be a different issue. I've emailed the Kelly company, but they never responded. Any help would be appreciated. AND YES, I have reminded the kids NOT TO "BOP", but to twist in the mouth pieces. Thanks in advance. stein

I have a beginners group and I have found myself constantly dealing with stuck mouth pieces. I don't have the machine that removes them. Any ideas on how to remove stuck pieces? I find the "kelly's" (the kids like them)get stuck frequently (as well as the Bach's)and removing them might be a different issue. I've emailed the Kelly company, but they never responded. Any help would be appreciated. AND YES, I have reminded the kids NOT TO "BOP", but to twist in the mouth pieces. Thanks in advance. stein

Most local music stores will gladly remove a mouthpiece for you for little or no expense. However, since you appear to have multiple opportunities for mouthpiece extraction, you may want to invest in one of these devices:

Bobcat Mouthpiece Puller

I would use a cloth to protect the mouthpiece (especially a plastic mouthpiece) in order to avoid any scratches during the removal process.

Avoid the temptation to attempt to twist a mouthpiece using force. You may damage the leadpipe.

Edited by Scooter Pirtle

The bobcat mpc puller is cheap, easy to use, and very much so worth having when you are leading a group. another method is the small rawhide hammer, which you lightly tap around the joint until it comes out.

Get a bobcat and worry no more!

NEVER NEVER NEVER use pliers, visegrips, or anything functionally similar.

Mouthpieces are brass, a metal much softer than steel. Mouthpiece receivers are brass. The leadpipe brace is soft-soldered. And the leadpipe itself is very thin (~.015") brass.

98% of the time, this method will result in a trashed leadpipe. Replacement will cost MORE than buying a mouthpiece puller. And the mouthpiece will still be stuck.

This warning goes out double for all you handy dads. And triple to all you big tough guys.

• Like 1

NEVER NEVER NEVER use pliers, visegrips, or anything functionally similar.

Mouthpieces are brass, a metal much softer than steel. Mouthpiece receivers are brass. The leadpipe brace is soft-soldered. And the leadpipe itself is very thin (~.015") brass.

98% of the time, this method will result in a trashed leadpipe. Replacement will cost MORE than buying a mouthpiece puller. And the mouthpiece will still be stuck.

This warning goes out double for all you handy dads. And triple to all you big tough guys.

Hear Hear! I've seen people do this and worse before. Once I watched as a guy put his mpc in the door frame, a friend held the door shut on it, and then he pulled, trying to get it unstuck. It was a 'less than glamorous' sight that they ended up with. And yes, and the mpc was still stuck

An ounce of prevevention is worth a pound of cure. Better to tell young aspiring brass players to "gently but firmly TWIST the mouthpiece into the stem". If it's popped in it's almost guaranteed to get stuck in the stem or fly in your face when you bring the horn up.

Edited by Piper

As others have said, buy a puller. BUT, you need to figure out why stuck mouthpieces are constantly a problem. I'm sure you have better things to do than pull mouthpieces. Is there a taper problem with the shank? Is the player using too much pressure?

I find the "kelly's" get stuck frequently

If the Kellys are an obnoxious color, use a torch to remove them. You will have solved two problems with one tool.

• Like 2

:w00t:

If the Kellys are an obnoxious color, use a torch to remove them. You will have solved two problems with one tool.