Drum Corps Fire Hazard...

One Corps (that shall remain nameless, because just about every corps is guilty of this) was brave enough to post a picture of one of their electrical outlets in the gym, today.

This picture only shows 12 plugs in one outlet. However, in some situations there are 60-80 plugs in one outlet (with various splitters, surge protectors, cables, etc).

What are some of the liability issues involved in this, on the corps, if there was a fire?

What are creative solutions to address this problem?

The intent here is NOT to attack particular corps, this is a very common thing in Drum Corps. I'm hoping maybe we can examine the potential effects of this pandemic, and more so, offer solutions to the problem?

And yes, I did march in the cell phone/IPOD era, but use of these items was definitely frowned upon and kept almost secretive at the time. We were trying to keep from being called out for not contributing to the fraternal/social aspects of the corps.

This is a discussion, and I'll compartmentalize it afterwards, put it into word format and forward it to DCI via USPS.

• Like 1

The intent here is NOT to attack particular corps, this is a very common thing in Drum Corps. I'm hoping maybe we can examine the potential effects of this pandemic, and more so, offer solutions to the problem?

I wonder how much of the problem is connected with redundant devices (phone, media player, tablet, laptop, etc.)?

I'd say the first step would be to eliminate redundancy. Each member can take only one device.

Were I running a corps, I'd have a no mobile phone policy. It is far too much of a distraction and keeps kids head too much into stuff back home (bf, gf, parents, friends, school, etc.) instead of the program. The age these kids are, something as simple as the wrong SMS from a gf at home could completely distract a kid for the whole day.

Tablets and media players can be great and even useful. Laptops are better left at home.

The next step would probably be a sort of uniformity in terms of device types the organization accommodates. If an organization encouraged their members to use one device over another, it not only provides a convenience of uniformity, but the ability to provide and deliver additional content to members via the device.

This also allows the ability to have uniformity in charging... where you can have charging docks to safely charge multiple devices in a single outlet, for example the Parasync docks:

PARAI20-03xx_cropped-361x368.jpg

The great thing is that these can also be stacked in secure and lockable enclosures or carts that would allow the ability to safely and securely charge during the day, not just overnight. Companies like this would probably just give one to a corps to do durability testing, so, the cost shouldn't be that much. Years ago, my company was doing a lot of on site demos or marketing promos for various software companies. All of our stuff like this was provided free for us to do durability testing since it was a traveling series. So, the issue of being impractical due to cost can easily be resolved.

• Like 3

I wonder how much of the problem is connected with redundant devices (phone, media player, tablet, laptop, etc.)?

I'd say the first step would be to eliminate redundancy. Each member can take only one device.

A lot of it. I've asked around today (via text, ironically enough) to a bunch of people still marching. They say that people are averaging 3-4 chargeable devices per person.

Many kids have chargeable:

1. Laptops.

2. Phones.

3. MP3 Players.

4. DVD Players.

5. Bed pumps.

One person in particular has 6 chargeable devices on tour.

We'll be super conservative and say each person only has 2 chargeable devices a piece... That's 300 plugs! Sometimes in tiny gyms.

One Corps (that shall remain nameless, because just about every corps is guilty of this) was brave enough to post a picture of one of their electrical outlets in the gym, today.

This picture only shows 12 plugs in one outlet. However, in some situations there are 60-80 plugs in one outlet (with various splitters, surge protectors, cables, etc).

What are some of the liability issues involved in this, on the corps, if there was a fire?

What are creative solutions to address this problem?

And yes, I did march in the cell phone/IPOD era, but use of these items was definitely frowned upon and kept almost secretive at the time. We were trying to keep from being called out for not contributing to the fraternal/social aspects of the corps.

This is a discussion, and I'll compartmentalize it afterwards, put it into word format and forward it to DCI via USPS.

I would think that you would have to go by the state and local codes.

A lot of it. I've asked around today (via text, ironically enough) to a bunch of people still marching. They say that people are averaging 3-4 chargeable devices per person.

Many kids have chargeable:

1. Laptops.

2. Phones.

3. MP3 Players.

4. DVD Players.

5. Bed pumps.

One person in particular has 6 chargeable devices on tour.

We'll be super conservative and say each person only has 2 chargeable devices a piece... That's 300 plugs! Sometimes in tiny gyms.

Um... bedpumps? Seriously?

Standardization in that area could also be a good thing.

All other devices could be replaced with a tablet. Seems redundancy is the largest problem.