Lewisburg

Yepper Jim......if it was 'Queen of Sheba' it could have been any of 3 years 'ce[t early in '64 when we played 'Captain from Castile' off the line

sorry I didn't get to see you guys in Lewisburg

Guido

I don't think Archie's Cap from Castile was recorded in 64 ... the only recording of them in 64 that I remember was the WO ...

:-)

that's a shame Andy, but we only used it in 2 shows at the brginning of the season, one of which was the so-called 'pre-Dream' at Roosevelt Stadium

hey, remember we also did 3 different concerts that year.........schizophrenic repertoire :w00t:

I don't think Archie's Cap from Castile was recorded in 64 ... the only recording of them in 64 that I remember was the WO ...

Archie at the 1964 World Open was one of my favorite drum corps records. I always marveled at some of the technical soprano work. The triple tonguing in the fanfares was amazing! Listening to it always inspired me to practice. I understand that one of the players was hall of famer Ray Eyler. Jimbalaya, I would love to hear any stories that you have about that year and the people.

Archie at the 1964 World Open was one of my favorite drum corps records. I always marveled at some of the technical soprano work. The triple tonguing in the fanfares was amazing! Listening to it always inspired me to practice. I understand that one of the players was hall of famer Ray Eyler. Jimbalaya, I would love to hear any stories that you have about that year and the people.

Ray Eyler was definitely one of them. Dave Fite was the other. Both had been with the Air Force Drum Corps that stationed in Washington,D.C. under the tutelage of Truman Crawford. Ray Eyler was the man that Gus Wilke had come up to St. Andrew's Bridgemen and taught the entire soprano line to triple tongue when they played "Mr. Clown".

Dave Fite moved out to the Pittsburgh area and was instrumental in the formation of the Steel City Ambassadors back in 1979-80.

that's a shame Andy, but we only used it in 2 shows at the brginning of the season, one of which was the so-called 'pre-Dream' at Roosevelt Stadium

hey, remember we also did 3 different concerts that year.........schizophrenic repertoire :w00t:

Here's why I find trying to remember history such a pleasure ... I recall the 3 concert season as 1965 ... in 64 I only heard Archie belting out the Beatles "I Want to Hold You Hand" in concert with Sukey the DM playing air guitar while wearing a shaggy haired Beatles wig ...

Edited by ajlisko

Thanks for those nice thoughts about us Geoff.

Would love to share some stories from that transitional year.

Guido

Well now Andy.....'64 was the three concert year and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was the 3rd and final choice.....trust me.....you brought a smile to my face with the "Sukey" (Steve Sucoloski) reference and the drummer setting up a trap set for Bill Kaufmann in wig, plus Dave Fite in wig during his solo.......

Here's why I find trying to remember history such a pleasure ... I recall the 3 concert season as 1965 ... in 64 I only heard Archie belting out the Beatles "I Want to Hold You Hand" in concert with Sukey the DM playing air guitar while wearing a shaggy haired Beatles wig ...

Well now Andy.....'64 was the three concert year and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was the 3rd and final choice.....trust me.....you brought a smile to my face with the "Sukey" (Steve Sucoloski) reference and the drummer setting up a trap set for Bill Kaufmann in wig, plus Dave Fite in wig during his solo.......

Well ... if they did it in 64, they continued with the exercise in 65 ... I remember the announcements on the starting line at the Hurc's show that "Archie will introduce a new concert number each week ... yada ... yada" ... they also announced that "No soloists will be featured this year" ... what I do remember is that IMO Archie came out flat in 65 and wasn't their old self ... they even skipped the first DCA Championship ... any inside scoop on that?

well '65 was a hard year for Archie......still reeling from '63 AL Nationals in Miami.......'64 was a good effort as a 'bounce back' season, but too much confusion over concert reps and other changes....I believe '65 saw us playing "Shangri-La" and our drill guy was Frank Kubinak......but we had so many issues that the financial burden couldn't allow us to do DCA championships.......a very sad period for the Musketeers

Well ... if they did it in 64, they continued with the exercise in 65 ... I remember the announcements on the starting line at the Hurc's show that "Archie will introduce a new concert number each week ... yada ... yada" ... they also announced that "No soloists will be featured this year" ... what I do remember is that IMO Archie came out flat in 65 and wasn't their old self ... they even skipped the first DCA Championship ... any inside scoop on that?