Audition on a Concert Euph.

The Rob

It's not a matter of which I sound better on, it's that I don't have access to a marching horn.

as I said in my previous post. They allow people to auditon on Concert Horns, if you are a Euph/Bari player and don't have a marching horn, bring your Concert horn, Tuba players & Mellos do the same. all trumpet players should have their own horn. There will usually be a visual part to the audition, where they will supply you with a corps horn for that 1 section. so brass players: Bring a horn, Concert or Marching

Buy yourself a used marching Yamaha in the next month or so.

Don't pay too much for it and don't wreck it and you will be able to resell it once you make a hornline.

If it is in the same condition as you bought it, (or even better since you will clean and lube it) and you didn't pay over the market rate you will be able to resell it before all of your dues are due.

Net cost to you will be shipping and any price difference in your sale price versus purchase. Probably way less than $100 total.

You just have to view it as parking your money in the horn for a little while, with the side benefit of being able to get used to it for an audition.

Good luck.

I've looked on Ebay and WWBW and the cheapest I can find is about $400.

I've looked on Ebay and WWBW and the cheapest I can find is about $400.

$400 sounds too low. I was thinking $550 to $850.

But if the pictures don't show any crushed tuning slides, even if the valves are sticky you should be able to have a shop make them work for you for not too much money.

Or were you saying that $400 was too much for you to spend on a horn to prepare for your audition?

Don't waste money on a marching horn you'll probably never use. Just play on your concert horn. It's really not a big deal at all.

With all due respect it seems you have misread my post. The OP stated that he has no access to a marching baritone at this time. I believe that puts him at some disadvantage in his quest. And why put yourself through that, when options that, in the end will not cost him more than a few dollars, exist?

He would then have access to the marching horn, starting now, all the way up to the point that he secures one through a successful audition at the corps of his choice.

The key is to buy it for a price that will allow you to sell it on after you are done with no loss of money. So there is no waste of funds and if he does it right, a bit of profit in the deal.

Also, if he cannot afford to buy a horn now 4 months out form the audition for 5 0r 6 hundred and sell it later, then I'll bet he will have a heck of a time coming up with the $4000 or so it will cost to go a season with BAC.

Lastly, in my experience, it is easier to teach someone how to play in the style you are looking for than it is to teach someone how to move that way. So if he is familiar with how to handle a marching horn in the BAC style, he will have at least one more marketable skill to present to the corps when he arrives.

Win, win.

Edited by JeffBanyots