Watching Atlanta on a Television

By the way, kudos to some spectacular advice and supporting graphics during the course of this thread. Well done. :worthy:

Thanks, I hope it helped the OP and other folks who were curious about it. I know how frustrating it is to know something is possible, but not have any clear details on exactly how it should work.

To the OP, if you did already have Windows installed via Boot Camp on your Mac, it would be worth trying to switch over to it to see if the headphones worked on that side of things, but since you haven't mentioned it I assume you don't already have it set up.

Another thing I thought of to try is just to make sure you have the latest OS updates on your Mac under the Apple menu "Software Updates..." I think. I assume everyone keeps up with the suggested updates, but it's worth a check, just in case it's a driver issue. Unfortunately the OS updates usually run to several hundred megs, so it might take a while and isn't a guaranteed fix.

Good Luck! :thumbup:

On a related note, Do I have to subscribe to the fannetwork to buy the live stream of Atlanta today?

If you subscribe at the $79 level or higher you get the stream included (along with the semifinals stream and access to the older shows). Otherwise you can pay $24.95 for just this live stream.

Whether it's worthwhile or not to get the subscription depends on your desire to watch older shows (including this one) over again in the future. At this point I don't think it's worth it just as a package deal for the webcasts since there's only two left.

Also in relation to the OP, my brother bought a Mac so I know a bit about them. It's no use telling you that you shouldn't have got one in the first place because you should have just learned how to optimize a PC. But I digress. You can buy a converter because most Mac's dont really have HDMI input's so Just find some other port and buy a converter for that one to HDMI so that you can have the best quality video and audio.

Is it AT ALL possible to watch the live stream via an iPhone 4? My phone is jailbroken and I have the HDMI-Out adapter so I can watch on my TV. I've been watching the On Demand videos on the TV (via the iPhone) but the live video won't play.

Is it AT ALL possible to watch the live stream via an iPhone 4? My phone is jailbroken and I have the HDMI-Out adapter so I can watch on my TV. I've been watching the On Demand videos on the TV (via the iPhone) but the live video won't play.

I think drumcat (DCI's A/V person) has posted here to say that the rest of Fan Network works on iPhone/iPad because it uses non-Flash video, but that the provider they use for the live stream doesn't have that capability for now (maybe no one does) and it requires Flash, which iPhone doesn't have.

So uh, that's a long way to say no, unfortunately not.

I don't know what the problem is. I took a MacBook Pro out of the box, plugged it into my TV and I am watching. No preference changes, no video adjustments. It just works, of course you have to have a cable - but I think you have to on any computer. Now I tried with my Dell and no luck - way to many things to buy to make it work and then I have to configure.

Also in relation to the OP, my brother bought a Mac so I know a bit about them. It's no use telling you that you shouldn't have got one in the first place because you should have just learned how to optimize a PC. But I digress. You can buy a converter because most Mac's dont really have HDMI input's so Just find some other port and buy a converter for that one to HDMI so that you can have the best quality video and audio.

If you subscribe at the $79 level or higher you get the stream included (along with the semifinals stream and access to the older shows). Otherwise you can pay $24.95 for just this live stream.

Whether it's worthwhile or not to get the subscription depends on your desire to watch older shows (including this one) over again in the future. At this point I don't think it's worth it just as a package deal for the webcasts since there's only two left.

I bought just the Atlanta show but when I try to get the live stream under the Live Webcast tab it gives me this message: The content you are trying to watch is for

Drum Corps International Fan Network authorized accounts only.

Criticizing the choice of computer is of no help to anyone. This isn't a thread about what computer should he buy.

Hey Tony, it does sound unusual to me that the headphones aren't showing as an option on the sound output screen. If you have music playing on the Mac through its speakers, and then you put in headphones, do the speakers keep playing, or does the sound stop?

There's a couple of things that might be going on either way: in some recent Macs the headphone jack doubles as an optical audio jack, depending on what you plug into it. It's possible it could be trying to send audio in optical mode instead of over the headphones. Is there a little red light shining out of the headphone jack by any chance?

Another possibility is that there is a switch/sensor in the headphone jack that detects that headphones are plugged in and switches the output for you. Sometimes that switch doesn't trigger fully, so try jamming the headphones in and wiggling a little, etc.

Taking it to an Apple store is an option, but if there's a hardware problem with the headphone jack, they might need to ship it off to get it fixed. So since you need the audio today, there also might be (and here I'm venturing into territory I'm less familiar with) peripherals you can buy that take audio out over the USB port and then take a headphone jack from there onto your stereo. Not sure how common they are or how much they cost.

When I have music playing on the Mac through the speakers and put in headphones, the sound from the speakers stops.

I have seen the red light coming from the headphone jack.

I have wiggled the headphones to no avail.