An odd observation about DCA...

I know for a fact there are young people in DCA that never want to march a DCI corps. And I can say the same for DCI members. Move on.

The fact is if DCI released the restriction on age, DCA would not exist as it does today...a predominately Northeast US phenomenon with a tougher task at getting the rest of the country involved. If DCA would ever venture their finals out of the Northeast, that might make a difference. How about North Carolina...anyone? Bueller? Stuck.

DCI stuck in Indy. DCA stuck in the Northeast.

Nonsense. How many DCA members have the time - or the willingness - to commit to the kind of national tour that most DCI corps engage in? How many adults want to run around all summer with the high schoolers and college kids that would still predominate in DCI corps even if the age restriction was lifted? There are a few part time DCI corps, but not enough absorb DCA's entire membership. DCA is for the weekend warriors (no disrespect intended - weekend warriors started the first drum corps, after all). DCI is for something else entirely different.

I've never been to a DCA show, never marched in a DCA corps, never really wanted to . . . but I never really understood why so many of my fellow junior corps marchers/fans get their panties in such a twist at the very mention of senior corps.

Edited by Rifuarian

and amps and electronics.

look they both have similarities...and differences. You can not compare them tho because a) they have different missions and 2) different schedules/tours.

let's be brutally honest here. before the current DCA administration came in, DCI was a bad word to them. to DCI, manypeople still thought DCA was a bunch of drunks stumbling around trying to "recapture their youth".

Guess what...both pulled their heads out of their ##### and realized they need each other. This new agreement is going to openlines of communication like never before. DCA needs the young kids. DCI needs the older fans.

DCA seems to be committed to a growth process nationally that is slowly bringing results. DCI is realizing that some of their rush to change for the sake of change has hurt business.

I say let them keep doing the good things we have seen the last two years, let the economy improve, and let the joint marketing ventures start to work. Will it be an overnight turnaround? No.

But i think recent changes in both groups seem to say they know there's some problems, we'll work on them, together if need be, and make drum corps better and healthier,

and that friends is the best sign I've seen out of drum corps leadership in years.

I just want to see a DCA finals outside of the Northeast...I thought North Carolina made a very good offer. I believe that is one area where both circuits have now fallen into the one location for finals instead of moving it around to attract new audience members...the old...circus comes to town thing.

I have been searching for a stat I saw recently, but could not find it. It said the average age of a few corps in DCA - Bucs, MBI and I think Empire or Hurricanes. Average was in the middle 20's actually. Not what most people expected I would imagine.

That fact alone tells me these two circuits feed off each other, and need each other to some extent. There is room for both, and I think the new agreement between them, if managed properly, can be good for both.

• Like 2

I just want to see a DCA finals outside of the Northeast...I thought North Carolina made a very good offer. I believe that is one area where both circuits have now fallen into the one location for finals instead of moving it around to attract new audience members...the old...circus comes to town thing.

Hey Now! Maryland in 2012 is definitely NOT the northest. Still a ##### for you georgia and florida folks, but better than rochester. Hopefully attendance will be off the charts, thus enticing them to come back to the area soon :thumbup:

• Like 1

I have been searching for a stat I saw recently, but could not find it. It said the average age of a few corps in DCA - Bucs, MBI and I think Empire or Hurricanes. Average was in the middle 20's actually. Not what most people expected I would imagine.

That fact alone tells me these two circuits feed off each other, and need each other to some extent. There is room for both, and I think the new agreement between them, if managed properly, can be good for both.

Small sample size, but in my corps (which is fairly large, but not known for being young), I am the 5th oldest member of my baritone section...at the positively ancient age of 26... :tongue:

• Like 1

Small sample size, but in my corps (which is fairly large, but not known for being young), I am the 5th oldest member of my baritone section...at the positively ancient age of 26... :tongue:

My point exactly! :thumbup:

Wow, just.... Wow.

Not even sure this deserves a response, but here goes.

I truly think this is a distasteful, and extremely disrespectful remark. Do more people go to DCI events? Yes. Is the level of show design better for DCI shows? Most of the time yes, as they dedicate the entire summer to rehearsals for the shows. Most of the people involved in DCA have full time jobs/careers/families, and are only able to travel/rehearse/compete on a limited basis. Referring to them as Has-been is not only not accurate, but also would lead one to believe that the Young Performers in DCIare actually "someone" or "Somewhere" assuming a celebrity like status. Unfortunately, that is nowehere near the case. most people outside of any corps seldom know the name of any person performing in any corps, other than an occasional soloist who really lights it up. Unfortunately drum corps is a small part of the international music world. But to write off DCA as has-beens is just wrong on so many levels. I admire all the members of all the DCA corps, and really wish my wife and I had the energy, stamina, and time that we could march a DCA corps. I think DCA has proven to be successful, and DCi has also proven to be successful. But I think the success of DCI should definitely take anything away from DCA, which is also a great organization that provides entertainment to hundreds of thousands of people each year as well, even though there aren't as many shows, and anywhere near as much rehearsal time. And to think someone has become a has-been after the age of 22, when most young musicians haven't even peaked at that time, because one organization(DCI) says they are no longer eligible to march is absolutely ridiculous. I don't usually negative anyone, but this post definitely got one of my few negative votes.

His comment is even more outlandish, when you read his very own tag signature.

Where is this data and analysis, Tom?

We are still waiting.

Are you frantically using boolean tools in Yahoo! Search to try to forge it? Come on. Show us.

You are so cute when you are insistent. I like it.

No. It's on DCP...somewhere. It was in a thread last summer. Jeff Ream participated in it. I think we both came to the conclusion about attendance for both DCA and DCI but that was before last year's DCA finals. Where we disagreed is what this meant. Jeff was and is very passionate against the show concepts and the synths, amps, singing, featured soloists on mics through the whole show. He hates that. I think it's a particular corps choice and not something instilled in DCI's directives through judging and rewarding. We both came together on the 2008 Regiment show, however...but I digress.

Now, I would point you to Jeff's most recent point in this thread. DCI and DCA finding common ground.

This thread pointed to G Horns, Amps, etc. as the "odd observation." I contend the major difference is if I am 8 or 80 I can march DCA. The same is not true in DCI. And that, sir, is the major difference...not amps, not G horns...don't some DCA corps march Bbs? I thought they did. Huh. I could be wrong. No DCA corps/shows out my way. I feel like other folks must feel about DCI. It sure is a massive country, huh?

Oh yeah...you asked about data and analysis, like I had it on an Excel spreadsheet of something, with lines and pie charts or something. Nah, I just looked at the numbers on the thread and did some simple math stuff and showed both circuits trending pretty much flat with ups and downs. I also concluded that Indy hasn't proved to be better attendance wise than Orlando was and that DCA attendance was pretty flat over the past 10 years or so.

Are you arguing with these conclusions? Is there something I'm missing? Do I really have to spend more time trying to dig up the data from last year. Jeff and I both agree, DCI has not been consistent about sharing attendance data. I have it on good authority, Finals Night 2009 was about 15,500 paid, but DCI would dispute that today.

Again...if you disagree with the conclusions, I'll spend some time this weekend and dig it all up and learn to use the seach functionality on DCP. But, if you don't agree, what's your analysis say?

And, by the way...you went right away to # of corps....# of participants as a measure of organizational health. While I would argue this is a factor it is barely a key one. Paid butts in seats is the optimal measure of long term survival and more than that...total revenue in the gate. Because with enough dollars...all corps can not only thrive, but survive. And the only thing that will create more corps and more participants is more $$$$$.

So, are you off it yet? Is your single white glove lowered from your left hand...or do you still feel the need to duel?

Let me know. I have a Sunday afternoon with nothing planned. It would help if you sent me $50 for my efforts though.

Edited by Tom Brace
  • Like 2