Great Seats Still Available at Ticketmaster

Isn't anyone bothered by the fact that people (meaning me) who bought tickets in November and received 4th level seats on the goal line while great seats (at the same price level) are available just days before the show? How fair is this "policy"? Why were tix held back? Would appreciate any responses --- especially from DCI. (I did inquire about this on DCI's Facebook page age and got a "stock" answer of we'll help you get good seats if you call us --- a little late now since I doubt if they would buy back the original purchase.)

Isn't anyone bothered by the fact that people (meaning me) who bought tickets in November and received 4th level seats on the goal line while great seats (at the same price level) are available just days before the show? How fair is this "policy"? Why were tix held back? Would appreciate any responses --- especially from DCI. (I did inquire about this on DCI's Facebook page age and got a "stock" answer of we'll help you get good seats if you call us --- a little late now since I doubt if they would buy back the original purchase.)

I am as well! I bought tickets as part of the Pick 2 promotion in section 444. I think it would make sense to allow the folks who take advantage of the offer are at least given a chance to upgrade their seats if they remain empty over a given period of time.

Has anyone been in section 137? I'm in 137, row 6 for Saturday night. I figured sitting down low would be better from a sound standpoint than in 636 where I sat last year. You couldn't hear a single drumline or brass soloist from up there.

This doesn't contribute much to hardcore fans who want the best seats (whether up or down), but after watching quarters and semis in 2009 and semis last year, my experience was that for a single or couple, you could go up and down the tiers inside the 40s and find a couple of seats to plunk down in. Perhaps finals are much different.

We moved around sort of at random in '09, but trying to switch seats to see the shows we saw lower down on Thursday up higher on Friday. Last year, we watched most of the semis from poached seats inside the 40 up high after buying (from a guy at the front gate) seats on the 25 or so. I wanted to move down lower for the Blue Devils to see what all the controversy was about, and we had no problem doing so.

Your mileage may vary.

Ouch. Yeah, I will admit that a big part of my avoidance of going to finals is that it's such a pain to be sure I'd get a decent seat. I understand DCI can't really do much about it, but I'd love to see the online seat-by-seat selection available for most other venues. Does Ticketmaster not offer this capability?

...after watching quarters and semis in 2009 and semis last year, my experience was that for a single or couple, you could go up and down the tiers inside the 40s and find a couple of seats to plunk down in. Perhaps finals are much different.

That strategy works very well almost anywhere in quarterfinals. If the real ticketholders show up, you can almost always move over without a problem.

You can get pretty good seats this way (30-35 yard line), maybe great seats closer to midfield if you're lucky in semifinals.

This strategy does not work and is not advised for good seats at finals, and trying it can lead to problems that disrupt the show for people sitting nearby when the real ticketholders show up if they come a little late.

Most of the seats between the 30s are sold as packages, but a lot of people with those tickets only show up for finals.

Also a bit surprised at the good availability of decent priced 3-4 star hotels downtown on Hotwire for Friday and Saturday.

Another factor, the new downtown JW Marriott, with1,005 rooms, opened in February, 2011.

Joel, I absolutely agree with you. It is a lousy way to do business. I am not defending it with what follows, just offering an explanation. It is common for show promoters (here, DCI), to hold out good seats to comp VIPs and solve late problems. DCI gives a lot of comp tickets to sponsors and to corps. Not all those tickets are going to be used. Some get turned back, and those get released for sale, commonly a week or a couple of days before a show. It happens with Lady Gaga in concert, and it happens with DCI. The early bird does not get the best worm.

Since 2009 when they started at LOS with Ticketmaster, it's been posted here repeatedly that as long as your group is no more than two people sitting together, you can get better seats even at face value many ways OTHER than going on Ticketmaster.com and clicking "best available seats" or ordering early through DCI. Buying your tickets through a corps, from someone who has tickets and suddenly can't go late (on DCP's Marketplace Forum or on eBay or Craigslist), showing up at the box office or calling late, through Friends of DCI or a scalper (not face value) can get better seats. I'm sorry. Now you know.

Try calling DCI, not pitching a fit but simply expressing disappointment and mentioning the Facebook message to you to see if they'll exchange your seats, perhaps at an upgraded cost.

Edited by Peel Paint

Ouch. Yeah, I will admit that a big part of my avoidance of going to finals is that it's such a pain to be sure I'd get a decent seat. I understand DCI can't really do much about it, but I'd love to see the online seat-by-seat selection available for most other venues. Does Ticketmaster not offer this capability?

Ticketmaster offers the "best seat available" but you can't choose your own seat. Of course DCI can do something about it! They didn't make these seats available in November but they're mysteriously and unfairly available to people that are just buying now.

• Like 1

Hi, Thank you so much for this tread. I called Ticket Master this morning and got very good tickets for both semi & finals night. I needed two tickets and was worried that would be a problem but it all worked out. Who would have thought they would hold back tickets. I am lucky but I don't think it is fair. I guess what I am saying is when I called Ticket Master 2 weeks ago the only tickets available would have been mile-high, but these are at ground floor, section 141. We found a web site that you can put the section number so you could see what your view would look like, I am pleased. :thumbs-up: