Lake Erie Fanfare II Review

Fair warning: My OPINIONS may or may not be incredibly offensive. "Opinion" is the operative word here. No offense is intended, but it could happen anyway.

11th Place- Cascades- 74.050

"Pandora, a Dark Gift"

I first saw this show at DCI St. Louis in the middle of July. To be honest, I can’t remember a ton about it, so I can’t really offer a great comparison between the performance in the middle of July to the performance now, and I can’t tell if any changes have been made, but I’m sure there are some changes somewhere.

This show is intended to be creepy, and it certainly is creepy. The boxes all over the field work very well for the show, and I’m not a huge fan of props, so I don’t just hand that compliment out.

The new uniforms are fantastic, and work especially well for this show. The uniforms are “out there,” and the show is “out there.”

Overall, it was a good performance by the Cascades.

10th Place- Jersey Surf- 74.700

"Petal Tones"

I had never seen Jersey Surf until last year, and they were surprisingly good. I wasn’t prepared to be as impressed as I was that day.

Jersey Surf impresses me still with “Petal Tones.” I noticed a lot of selections from “Carmen,” which always makes for a nice repertoire. I’ll be interested to see where they end up in Indy. They might have a little fight in them, still.

9th Place- Teal Sound- 76.450

"Sinvitation 7"

You were all warned that this review would be very opinionated, and that no offense was intended. However, I can’t in good conscience review Teal Sound’s show without the likelihood that it will greatly offend Teal Sound’s members and alumni. Therefore, I will not be reviewing Teal Sound.

8th Place- Mandarins- 77.500

"The Forty Thieves"

Maybe I’m just an idiot, but in no way am I getting “The Forty Thieves” at all from this show. It seems like they just slapped a title on this show to intrigue the audience. The title intrigued me, only to confuse me when they started playing.

That being said, the Mandarins are performing at a higher level than I’ve ever seen them perform before. I’m very impressed. I’m not expert when it comes to percussion, but I’d say that the percussion is their Achilles heel.

7th Place- Pacific Crest- 78.950

“Push, Pull, Twist, and Turn”

I hate the fact that I have to tell you all what I’m about to tell you, but here’s the deal: we all have to pee sometime, and I was trying to hold it. Unfortunately, it grew too unbearable for me to wait another second. I didn’t want to miss Pacific Crest, as I haven’t seen their show yet. Sorry, everyone.

6th Place- Crossmen- 81.850

"Renewal"

I heard a lot of great things about this show. I was both let down a bit, and pleasantly surprised. It’s a strange feeling to be both disappointed and overjoyed at the same time, but that’s what I felt after the Crossmen took the field.

The Crossmen disappointed me with their visuals. I suppose I shouldn’t say “disappointed,” but rather “underwhelmed.”

The music, on the other hand, was exceptional. I’m so glad to hear Bones playing this kind of music again.

By the way, the white aussies look much better than the black ones. I think Bones is back, and not a minute too soon.

5th Place- Colts- 82.050

"DECEPTION: The Jagged Edge"

What happened to the Colts? They aren’t near as good as they were last year. “True Colors” was a great show, and performed very well.

“DECEPTION: The Jagged Edge” is a great show, too, but it’s hard to enjoy when it seems like every section is kind of weak, especially when compared to last year. Are the Colts full of a bunch of rookies this year or something?

I really like the Colts, but they seem a little off this year.

4th Place- Troopers- 83.500

"The Road Home"

I’ve never been an avid Troopers fan, but I usually enjoy them. “Wanted” was not one of those instances. “The Road Home,” on the other hand, is probably one of my favorite Troopers shows.

The brass section is probably the best part about the Troopers this year, and they all move very well while playing some outstanding music.

By the way, the new uniforms are great. They took everything that was wrong with the 2010 uniforms and did the opposite. Good move, Troopers.

2nd Place- The Academy- 84.250 (tie)

"(RE)"

Where in the world did these guys come from? These guys are tearing it up this year, and they definitely have a shot at finals.

It never occurred to me that Bach’s “Little Fugue in G Minor” would work well in a drum corps setting, but it works extremely well. The Cavaliers are using it too, and both of them play it very well.

This show is very entertaining, and I had no idea that The Academy could bring it like this.

By the way, the new uniforms are one of the snazziest uniforms ever donned by a DCI corps.

2nd Place- Spirit of Atlanta- 84.250 (tie)

"ATL Confidential: A Tribute to Film Noir"

This show is extremely cool. It’s very clean, the brass and percussion are exceptional, perhaps not in terms of proficiency, but in terms of entertainment value. I had a lot of fun watching this show.

Spirit of Atlanta is probably going to see a return to Finals, and they certainly deserve it.

1st Place- Glassmen- 85.250

"My Mortal Beloved"

Of all the shows in DCI this year, this show’s title alone provided the most intrigue. And, it is indeed an intriguing show. It’s kind of creepy and depressing, but still enjoyable. I’ve never seen a show like that before.

Unfortunately, that bizarre show concept may keep them out of Finals this year. It’s too bad, because I’ve always rather liked the Glassmen, and I’d hate to see them get knocked out of Finals. Just because I enjoyed the show doesn’t mean everyone else did. A lot of the people around me didn’t quite know what to make of it.

The Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, and Madison Scouts were unable to perform due to rain. But if you've been journeying through the bowels of DCP, you probably know that the general consensus is that the Blue Knights are playing "real" music this year, to the delight of everyone, the Boston Crusaders move well, but have a weird musical selection, and the Madison Scouts' show...well..."Empire State of Mind." That's about it.

• Like 3

Fair warning: My OPINIONS may or may not be incredibly offensive. "Opinion" is the operative word here. No offense is intended, but it could happen anyway.

11th Place- Cascades- 74.050

"Pandora, a Dark Gift"

I first saw this show at DCI St. Louis in the middle of July. To be honest, I can’t remember a ton about it, so I can’t really offer a great comparison between the performance in the middle of July to the performance now, and I can’t tell if any changes have been made, but I’m sure there are some changes somewhere.

This show is intended to be creepy, and it certainly is creepy. The boxes all over the field work very well for the show, and I’m not a huge fan of props, so I don’t just hand that compliment out.

The new uniforms are fantastic, and work especially well for this show. The uniforms are “out there,” and the show is “out there.”

Overall, it was a good performance by the Cascades.

10th Place- Jersey Surf- 74.700

"Petal Tones"

I had never seen Jersey Surf until last year, and they were surprisingly good. I wasn’t prepared to be as impressed as I was that day.

Jersey Surf impresses me still with “Petal Tones.” I noticed a lot of selections from “Carmen,” which always makes for a nice repertoire. I’ll be interested to see where they end up in Indy. They might have a little fight in them, still.

9th Place- Teal Sound- 76.450

"Sinvitation 7"

You were all warned that this review would be very opinionated, and that no offense was intended. However, I can’t in good conscience review Teal Sound’s show without the likelihood that it will greatly offend Teal Sound’s members and alumni. Therefore, I will not be reviewing Teal Sound.

8th Place- Mandarins- 77.500

"The Forty Thieves"

Maybe I’m just an idiot, but in no way am I getting “The Forty Thieves” at all from this show. It seems like they just slapped a title on this show to intrigue the audience. The title intrigued me, only to confuse me when they started playing.

That being said, the Mandarins are performing at a higher level than I’ve ever seen them perform before. I’m very impressed. I’m not expert when it comes to percussion, but I’d say that the percussion is their Achilles heel.

7th Place- Pacific Crest- 78.950

“Push, Pull, Twist, and Turn”

I hate the fact that I have to tell you all what I’m about to tell you, but here’s the deal: we all have to pee sometime, and I was trying to hold it. Unfortunately, it grew too unbearable for me to wait another second. I didn’t want to miss Pacific Crest, as I haven’t seen their show yet. Sorry, everyone.

6th Place- Crossmen- 81.850

"Renewal"

I heard a lot of great things about this show. I was both let down a bit, and pleasantly surprised. It’s a strange feeling to be both disappointed and overjoyed at the same time, but that’s what I felt after the Crossmen took the field.

The Crossmen disappointed me with their visuals. I suppose I shouldn’t say “disappointed,” but rather “underwhelmed.”

The music, on the other hand, was exceptional. I’m so glad to hear Bones playing this kind of music again.

By the way, the white aussies look much better than the black ones. I think Bones is back, and not a minute too soon.

5th Place- Colts- 82.050

"DECEPTION: The Jagged Edge"

What happened to the Colts? They aren’t near as good as they were last year. “True Colors” was a great show, and performed very well.

“DECEPTION: The Jagged Edge” is a great show, too, but it’s hard to enjoy when it seems like every section is kind of weak, especially when compared to last year. Are the Colts full of a bunch of rookies this year or something?

I really like the Colts, but they seem a little off this year.

4th Place- Troopers- 83.500

"The Road Home"

I’ve never been an avid Troopers fan, but I usually enjoy them. “Wanted” was not one of those instances. “The Road Home,” on the other hand, is probably one of my favorite Troopers shows.

The brass section is probably the best part about the Troopers this year, and they all move very well while playing some outstanding music.

By the way, the new uniforms are great. They took everything that was wrong with the 2010 uniforms and did the opposite. Good move, Troopers.

2nd Place- The Academy- 84.250 (tie)

"(RE)"

Where in the world did these guys come from? These guys are tearing it up this year, and they definitely have a shot at finals.

It never occurred to me that Bach’s “Little Fugue in G Minor” would work well in a drum corps setting, but it works extremely well. The Cavaliers are using it too, and both of them play it very well.

This show is very entertaining, and I had no idea that The Academy could bring it like this.

By the way, the new uniforms are one of the snazziest uniforms ever donned by a DCI corps.

2nd Place- Spirit of Atlanta- 84.250 (tie)

"ATL Confidential: A Tribute to Film Noir"

This show is extremely cool. It’s very clean, the brass and percussion are exceptional, perhaps not in terms of proficiency, but in terms of entertainment value. I had a lot of fun watching this show.

Spirit of Atlanta is probably going to see a return to Finals, and they certainly deserve it.

1st Place- Glassmen- 85.250

"My Mortal Beloved"

Of all the shows in DCI this year, this show’s title alone provided the most intrigue. And, it is indeed an intriguing show. It’s kind of creepy and depressing, but still enjoyable. I’ve never seen a show like that before.

Unfortunately, that bizarre show concept may keep them out of Finals this year. It’s too bad, because I’ve always rather liked the Glassmen, and I’d hate to see them get knocked out of Finals. Just because I enjoyed the show doesn’t mean everyone else did. A lot of the people around me didn’t quite know what to make of it.

The Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, and Madison Scouts were unable to perform due to rain. But if you've been journeying through the bowels of DCP, you probably know that the general consensus is that the Blue Knights are playing "real" music this year, to the delight of everyone, the Boston Crusaders move well, but have a weird musical selection, and the Madison Scouts' show...well..."Empire State of Mind." That's about it.

Thank you for your fine review

By "in good conscience" not reviewing Teal you actually did more disservice than you intended. I promise you that through all the adversity we have had this season our kids are thick skinned enough to take it. We are a very young corps with an ambitious program that has grown tremendously this season. We are proud of our progress. So take your best shot. As you said, it's just an opinion. So you can get off your high horse if you prefer or leave this be. Rest assured, your conscience is the least of our concerns.

• Like 2

when the rain delay hit,.........Colts were getting ready to go on,.............they eventually went on with their electronics and got their show in,............then Academy came on and get their show in sans the electronics,...............it did rain lightly on their performance,............then the rest on the contest was cancelled, and the remaining three corps played some non show material,............IMO the last three could have gotten their shows in, I spoke at length to one of the DCI folks onsite who just came over from Allentown the night before, and said the weather there was far, far worse,................ :blink:

Let me start by saying I am NOT going to argue the electronics issue. That ship has sailed. Nor am I banging on the kids.

However, I found Teal's use of the electric bass, violin and EWI MORE than a bit distracting and somewhat overbearing. While some may find it innovative, creative, even "cutting edge", I did not.

The corps has a wonderful horn line and some nice visuals. The front ensemble took me out of the show for a large segment. I appreciate everything the corps has gone through to make the field and applaud the membership for their hard work, dedication and perseverance. Best of luck this week!

I agree with you on Teal Sound and the Glassman in your review and would like to add from a color guard standpoint............

For Teal Sound, I am not quite sure what the kids were working on this summer but they were not well trained or executing it at all -- including in Orlando when they were in front of the "home crowd." It's very sad too because people pay a lot of money to see DCI shows and many of the "kids" in the stands were from marching bands who scrimped and saved to attend the shows and they were expecting to see color guard at a higher level -- or a least well written to the music and looking more advanced than a marching band show in September. Unfortunately, neither was the case. So sad for them. Poor kids!

For Glassman, I am sure they are not going to make finals for the reasons you said. It was just a TRANNYsylvanian mess -- way too much for the judge's and the audience to endure. Most everyone was relieved when they left the field. Of course, if it were a nightclub in New York it would work really well but it's in a stadium and just way, way too over the top. The posing and facials, the costume, the gimicks and the tricks were bordering on creepy and not in a good way. The writing was so "unmusical" that it was like the guard was flipping the finger at the crowd by saying "we're going to do whatever we want no matter what you think and hold you hostage while you watch us spin." I am sure the Glassman will be very relieved when their tour is over -- I can only imagine what a difficult year it was!

• Like 1

I agree with you on Teal Sound and the Glassman in your review and would like to add from a color guard standpoint............

For Teal Sound, I am not quite sure what the kids were working on this summer but they were not well trained or executing it at all -- including in Orlando when they were in front of the "home crowd." It's very sad too because people pay a lot of money to see DCI shows and many of the "kids" in the stands were from marching bands who scrimped and saved to attend the shows and they were expecting to see color guard at a higher level -- or a least well written to the music and looking more advanced than a marching band show in September. Unfortunately, neither was the case. So sad for them. Poor kids!

For Glassman, I am sure they are not going to make finals for the reasons you said. It was just a TRANNYsylvanian mess -- way too much for the judge's and the audience to endure. Most everyone was relieved when they left the field. Of course, if it were a nightclub in New York it would work really well but it's in a stadium and just way, way too over the top. The posing and facials, the costume, the gimicks and the tricks were bordering on creepy and not in a good way. The writing was so "unmusical" that it was like the guard was flipping the finger at the crowd by saying "we're going to do whatever we want no matter what you think and hold you hostage while you watch us spin." I am sure the Glassman will be very relieved when their tour is over -- I can only imagine what a difficult year it was!

This will be the last time I respond. In my 20 plus years in this activity I have never responded to inane posts like yours however here we go:

Perhaps you didn't know about the stomach virus that hit our corps extremely hard in Prior to Atlanta. The virus that caused 16 holes in the brass line just a few shows prior to Orlando. This doesn't include many of the guard/drum holes we had either. Perhaps you were unaware of the housing switch in Atlanta where we had 140 kids piled into a small non-air conditioned gymnasium without a practice field. Perhaps you didn't see the guard member running off to puke in a trash can during the Orlando show bc she was sick but still out there giving it her all. Perhaps you didn't know about he 1200 plus miles we traveled in 3 days to get to Orlando virtually negating any practice time the week leading up to it.

Despite all this, our kids went out there sick, tired and gave the crowd in Orlando everything they had and the crowd responded. Your post reeks of sophomoric sarcasm and warrants no reply. However, I assume I am lecturing a child and as a teacher, such is my job. Say what you will about the design, use of amps, etc. To insinuate it is sad for our children to go out there busting their butt to get better is neither worthy of their efforts or those of my friends on the instructional staff. I suggest you restrict your reviews to show and performance but to question training is an insult unless you come to a practice and observe for yourself.

We were proud of our kids' effort that evening because frankly they were running on fumes. As for the high school kids that scrimped and saved they seemed to enjoy the show immensely. If you have an issue with the training then perhaps you can submit YOUR resume for perusal. I leave MY experience below as to assure you we know what we are doing.

Evan Rogovin

brass caption head Teal Sound 2011

Boston crusaders brass tech. 2008

crossmen brass staff/asst caption head 2000-2003

Spirit of Atlanta brass staff 1997-1998

Director of Bands

AW Dreyfoos School of the Arts 2010 - present

Director of Bands

Santaluces HS 1994 - 2010

(2003 WGI SCHOLASTIC A WORLD CHAMPIONS

5 TIME WGI OPEN CLASS FINALISTS

3Time FMBC 4A Florida State Champions

3 time FMBC State runners-up

• Like 3

This will be the last time I respond. In my 20 plus years in this activity I have never responded to inane posts like yours however here we go:

Perhaps you didn't know about the stomach virus that hit our corps extremely hard in Prior to Atlanta. The virus that caused 16 holes in the brass line just a few shows prior to Orlando. This doesn't include many of the guard/drum holes we had either. Perhaps you were unaware of the housing switch in Atlanta where we had 140 kids piled into a small non-air conditioned gymnasium without a practice field. Perhaps you didn't see the guard member running off to puke in a trash can during the Orlando show bc she was sick but still out there giving it her all. Perhaps you didn't know about he 1200 plus miles we traveled in 3 days to get to Orlando virtually negating any practice time the week leading up to it.

Despite all this, our kids went out there sick, tired and gave the crowd in Orlando everything they had and the crowd responded. Your post reeks of sophomoric sarcasm and warrants no reply. However, I assume I am lecturing a child and as a teacher, such is my job. Say what you will about the design, use of amps, etc. To insinuate it is sad for our children to go out there busting their butt to get better is neither worthy of their efforts or those of my friends on the instructional staff. I suggest you restrict your reviews to show and performance but to question training is an insult unless you come to a practice and observe for yourself.

We were proud of our kids' effort that evening because frankly they were running on fumes. As for the high school kids that scrimped and saved they seemed to enjoy the show immensely. If you have an issue with the training then perhaps you can submit YOUR resume for perusal. I leave MY experience below as to assure you we know what we are doing.

Evan Rogovin

brass caption head Teal Sound 2011

Boston crusaders brass tech. 2008

crossmen brass staff/asst caption head 2000-2003

Spirit of Atlanta brass staff 1997-1998

Director of Bands

AW Dreyfoos School of the Arts 2010 - present

Director of Bands

Santaluces HS 1994 - 2010

(2003 WGI SCHOLASTIC A WORLD CHAMPIONS

5 TIME WGI OPEN CLASS FINALISTS

3Time FMBC 4A Florida State Champions

3 time FMBC State runners-up

You are right. Some people do not understand. All the kids have been through hell this year in the hot heat in the midwest and southwest. They are all very talented young people that bring enjoyment to all. Have a great day. Good luck BAC.

Re: Glassmen, the judges seem to disagree with you, as they scored first last night with a 17.00. Maybe the rain was just too much for them to endure? I haven't seen them live this year, but I usually like their work, and regarding the "tranny" comment, which I'm assuming you mean their costumes, you obviously haven't seen last year's uniforms.

Edited by c.l.

Re: Glassmen, the judges seem to disagree with you, as they scored first last night with a 17.00. Maybe the rain was just too much for them to endure? I haven't seen them live this year, but I usually like their work, and regarding the "tranny" comment, which I'm assuming you mean their costumes, you obviously haven't seen last year's uniforms.

Yeah, well, they were definitely trying to prove SOMETHING out there -- maybe it was that they do not need a corp's music to spin with because for a minute, I thought they were trying to do a Born this Way or Gaga Monster Ball tour tribute show -- they were so cool, I guess, but spending half of their "tuition" and "dues" on eyeliner and make-up does not a guard make!

And I wouldn't hold too much stock in the Erie number -- bad panel and no corps in finalist position at the show and this caused a huge inflation -- no way that 17.0 holds up in Indy!