Finals Live Stream

Without getting into any other thoughts about why this may or may not be feasible, it really has to be broached months earlier than this.

I totally get that, and I mainly start this thread now while many people are not in Indy, not going to Championships, and wishing there was a way we could still watch Finals live (and give DCI more $).

Of course, I can't believe DCI has never broached this topic before hand, and I write this more of a "we're more than a year out from next 2012 Finals: lets get this done for next year" (though that's not how my post blatantly comes across).

if it were multi cam i'd be right there with you.

but if it's high cam, forget it.

DCI said last year was the 4th most profitable Finals ever. Revenue (ticket sales) were down, but it looks like costs were down as well.

Mike

You can bet the only reason they're in LOS long-term is because it saves on expenses: from what I understand, it saves SUBSTANTIALLY due to the deal DCI cut.

I am sure the idea has been tossed around, especially with trying to get DCI finals in to the homes given the economic issues over the past few years. Is there say a licensing issue?

That I honestly don't know.

why would I, as a FN subscriber, pay $50 to watch Finals, when I can watch all of those 12 shows, plus 13 additional shows, the day before for zero additional costs?

I don't know why you personally would, I can only speak for myself.

Because all of the other shows of the summer are insignificant. Finals has ALWAYS been the big show: the entire point of the summer. That's like saying, "Why should I watch the Super Bowl when I've seen every game of the season plus playoffs so far?" Or, to put it more in context, "why should I pay for tickets to Finals when I'm already paying for tickets to Semifinals?" Or, "why should I even bother to go to Finals when I can see more corps at Semis?" Let's be honest: Finals typically have bigger crowds than Semis or Quarters.

I would pay extra for Finals, even if Semifinals was part of the FN package and I had to pay extra for Finals, because Finals is the big show of the season. Corps 'bring it' Saturday Night at Finals like they haven't most of the year: they're at their most confident, proficient, and have the most to gain/lose with that one performance than at any other performance all summer. Members/corps put everything on the field for their last show of the year. Crowd gives more back to the members because it's their last performance of the year. We crown a Champion (sometimes two :tongue: ). It's DCI's biggest show of the year, and people will be 'buzzing' online more Saturday night than probably every other weekend of the season combined, all wanting any scrap of info from finals they can get. Those of us who are alumni desperately want to be a part of the proceedings, even if it's via internet stream, because we remember how important that night is. Those of us with friends teaching, students marching, etc. want to watch them in their final performance: we want to physically feel like we're "with them," even from a distance, as they play their last note & march off the field for the last time (especially if they're age-outs). Plus, people (obviously) get sold on the hype of Finals (which DCI hypes year-long), and don't want to feel like we're missing out.

While, again, I'm speaking for myself, I would venture to guess there are PLENTY of other drum corps fans out there who would be willing to pay a premium, comparable to a ticket even, to watch a live stream of DCI Finals: even if we're seeing 25 corps Friday.

I totally get that, and I mainly start this thread now while many people are not in Indy, not going to Championships, and wishing there was a way we could still watch Finals live (and give DCI more $).

Of course, I can't believe DCI has never broached this topic before hand, and I write this more of a "we're more than a year out from next 2012 Finals: lets get this done for next year" (though that's not how my post blatantly comes across).

I encourage you then to contact Dan Acheson early and anyone else you think might be able to project the idea as one worth studying and implementing. The time to start would be soon after the World Championships are over. Good luck with your idea and try to get others on board with offering their opinions and support. The more people who support something and let it be known, the better chance an idea has of getting noticed.

• Like 1

DCI doesn't stream Finals because Finals is supposed to be a special event for those in attendance.

I understand this to an extent, and I know that NOTHING fully compares to being in the stadium live. But in this day and age, when I can watch a Spanish League soccer game on ESPN3, or watch ever single Cleveland Indians game on MLB's web package from Southern CA on my laptop, and even watch 'live' TV from my iPad, I think we're in an age where live streaming is a lot more acceptable to folks than it used to be. I still don't think DCI will lose a ton of revenue to Fan Network, as I think the vast majority of people who would go to finals will still want to go live vs hearing it from a computer.

I encourage you then to contact Dan Acheson early and anyone else you think might be able to project the idea as one worth studying and implementing. The time to start would be soon after the World Championships are over. Good luck with your idea and try to get others on board with offering their opinions and support. The more people who support something and let it be known, the better chance an idea has of getting noticed.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably re-send this to DCI again early September, as well as bump this thread and encourage others to contact DCI as well. I think at the very list the idea should be thoroughly explored, market researched (i.e. sending emails to FN members asking if they'd pay extra for Finals, asking Finals ticket buyers if they would NOT go to Finals for the sole reason of streaming it, etc), etc.