OT: Indianapolis stage collapse

I went out at the break before SCV to get a drink, and didn't make it back into my seats in time for SCV. I was watching their show on the monitors in the club-level lobby and watched that storm front move in. It came in fast, and after SCV, Brant Crocker warned fans that there was a severe storm going on and management had asked fans to stay away from the exits. That was around the time of the collapse at the fairgrounds.

Triumph and tragedy hand-in-hand in Indianapolis tonight. As much as having finals inside is a bit of a wet blanket, it's clear the roofed stadium has its advantages.

The death toll, sadly, has now risen to 5 individuals:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1109810230001/stage-collapse-at-indiana-state-fair-kills-5

I have been one of the most vocal critics of DCI's decision to perform indoors. After seeing this tonight, I am starting to change my position on this topic. Imagine if this had occured to the performers at DCI last night.

If DCI is going to hold Finals or Super-Regionals, in places that can have these types of storms, then maybe they should be held indoors. (I still believe that the roof should be retracted, if the event is being held in a stadium whose roof retracts.)

The death toll, sadly, has now risen to 5 individuals:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1109810230001/stage-collapse-at-indiana-state-fair-kills-5

I have been one of the most vocal critics of DCI's decision to perform indoors. After seeing this tonight, I am starting to change my position on this topic. Imagine if this had occured to the performers at DCI last night.

If DCI is going to hold Finals or Super-Regionals, in places that can have these types of storms, then maybe they should be held indoors. (I still believe that the roof should be retracted, if the event is being held in a stadium whose roof retracts.)

I still advocate that whenever possible, drum corps should be outdoors. I definitely see your point and I was thinking last night as I read comments on Twitter about the storms in Indy, that that was the first being inside as a good thing. I oppose indoor drum corps because of the sound quality. I go to the Southeastern regional in the Georgia Dome every year and went to Indy two years ago and the acoustics ,especially in Atlanta, are terrible. Personally, I prefer college football stadium to pro facilities in general (I am a die hard college football guy who doesn't care much about the NFL so that is where that comes from). I was at Finals in 93 when there was some heavy rain that night and it was not fun. I seem to recall someone from Cavies slipping and falling on the rain-slick field. But, similar to you, I do see the advantage of a facility like Lucas Oil Stadium with a retractable roof. Except when there is rain, they should keep the roof open at all times but, should storms roll in, they can opt to go with an indoor show.