Cavaliers remain undefeated in NJ.

On a night where the oppresive heat finally broke here in the Garden state, the competition remained hot as the Undefeated, defending world champion Cavaliers came into town and stayed perfect.

First off, I must say..I hate, absolutely hate the Meadowlands/Giants stadium for a competition. Clifton serves this poster well and I wish they would stay there....too cavernous, too much money (Parking, food) and just an unpleasant all around experience.

Picked up my tickets at the will call window, trouble free...thank you YEA !!

I sat section 111, row 39, seat 29....45 yard line......

First off, I have to say...yech !!! So, YEA is now "forcing" us to pay attention to bands as they dragged one out on the field to play the "Yea anthem" as it was introduced "Cadillac in the sky" I'm sorry, It bothered me..I didnt come here to hear flutes and Clarinets.....I didn't have a choice..but I digress.

First corps up tonight in Division III, New Jerseys' very own Raiders, from Wayne.

Their show is "Carmina Burana" . I think this might have been their first show..and it showed it. Now, that's not a bad thing. The corps itself looks rather mature than in the past, the book, music wise is a bit over them right now, but they are doing their best to master it and entertain the crowd. The music is fun...very dark, and dramatic...I would like to see the guard enhance that...maybe in time. Usual June problems but I see this show advancing rapidly.......good job (Penguin, and Regimentpit...good job guys)

Carolina Crown was next. What a refreshing change of pace to see uniforms that are not "black" or "white". Guys, I love these uniforms, they are so commanding on the field,,you have to notice. The guard ? Fagedhaboutit !! This is the Carolina Crown guard of old (2000) consider the togas a myth....forget about the wood, paper, rock, scissors..whatever it was..Crown is back ! and I mean back !! The opener is such a fanfare...they are almost saying "We want finals again" ...Guard uniforms are outstanding..best they ever had. The opener starts as individuals, slowly building to a triumphant company front...and wow !! what sound !! The guard uses colorful flags with powder blue poles..the effect is magnificent..I can't say enough. The whole show is pleasing to both the eye and ear.....I will say this..and in reality it is a good thing: They are dirty as heck !! I mean...really dirty.....once this show is cleaned..watch out, it is a GE rollercoaster ride, In my opinion.....at one point guard uses flags the same colors as the uniform for a real visual treat. Drill itself is rather difficult and you can tell they are still learning it. Brass sounds fine and percussion is strong..this is a corps to watch...Thank you for coming back Crown !!

The Bluecoats were next...again, a very solid, colorful show.......the guard is in Burgundy/Gold..rather appealing outfits I must say. The corps is polished and somewhat commanding of their musical and visual book at this point. Some minor ensemble issues, but execution wise and design wise they are pretty much ahead of Crossmen...at this point. Music is very pleasing and friendly to the average ear. This show reminded me not of the Bluecoats of last year, but Bluecoats of the mid-nineties......A very good show. Many references drill wise to the "capture" and "Release" ideas....very clever. Oh, yeah..Wow !! Theres this dance segment, reminded me of 2001, ther guard, and the corps does some type of tango style movement...very dramatic, very pleasing !!

Next up, intermission........yuk !!

Crossmen were next. I don't know what to write about Crossmen anymore. Every time I go ga-ga over them, they seem to lose steam...It seems like every year I jinx them. I will tell you this,looking back in my 21 years as a marcher/spectator...the Crossmen have NEVER disappointed me !! This year continues that streak. "Over the rainbow" opend the show, somewhat simplistic...and predictable..the guard uses rainblw color "blankets" ala' 2000 Blue Devils. I was waiting for some punch both aurally and visually, it wasnt there at this point....It left me a little flat, however, the rest of the show is awesome, fun, and entertaining....the Crossmen again, have a difficult visual book, it matches up with the music great but is not being sold at this point..its early. "Blue Rondo..." was excellent....reminded me of 27th a lot....the corps goes back right and does a re-hash of the 2002 OTL drill...to the delite of the crowd. They also got the crowd pupmed when they used these three giant "window-pane" racks of drums...it was a great effect...with the brass and guard adding to it all visually. This show was very entertaining, I can see it doing well, right now, a little something was missing...dont know what, but again, they never disappoint me..I thought Bluecoats had a wider gap between them and Crossmen, but I think Ensemble scores of the Crossmen is what kept them close.

Cavaliers. Simply the best of the night. The drill is again very intricate. it fits the theme well. Execution wise, they are on another plane..above all there tonight. This show to me is a better offering than last year but I find it emotionless...it needs some "oomph" . The brass has a full, symphonic sound, it is blended well and the arrangements have much depth. Percussion didnt stand out as much as I thought it was going to. Again...the drill fits the "spin" very well.

Ok...here it is. the Colorguard. The Cavaliers, based on everything I saw last year and tonight are taking the "artform" of colorguard and turning it into a new idiom..more like a sport than colorguard. They are doing very demanding things with their bodies and their equipment...The need for knee pads is quite evident as the knees are on the ground constantly...constant motion. The work they have is very effective, and the flags themselves are very pleasing to the eye..three arrows in different colors....very appealing, and some very intricate silk work. Major, major ensemle problems tonight, Im sure they wil fix it...but right now it almost seems like the physical demands are too much to handle right now. With that being said, I have to reveal...in my opinion....the colorguard outfits ,are actualy taking away from what could be a solid product..they are truly(sorry) an eyesore..they dont enhance the visual program...the flags are spectacular enough to do that. The numbers, the word "cycle" ..all effects that aren't needed to sell this show. If Liberace' funded, fielded, and ran a major league baseball team...this is exactly what they would wear. Not visualy stimulating at all..I found myself shaking my head after something spectacular and wondering "If only they had something more classier on ..this would be so much more dramatic" ......but, thats my opinion.

Theres a part in the show where the corps literlay spins into sitting position, the guard..as individuals do a move and finsish the move is sitting position....the rest is like "popcorn popping" best way to describe it..you have to see it...best part of the whole night !!..then huh ????? A company front and the show just ends.....out of nowhere..just ends. Ok. This show to me, is more appealing to my ear than last year...it needs major emotion and there needs to be an ending...I guess the uniforms in the guard are here to stay so ....will this win DCI ???? I dont know....I think they can be caught...right now ?? untochable.

Cadets came on..the crowd went wild, then they started their warm-up, show.....I happen to like this, its cool, fun...done well, and exciting. The colorguard is in red with a royal purple waist sash.....I like these guard uniforms...sorry, I really do !!

OK, heres the shock: I love Cadets this year..my favorite Cadets show since 1998. The drill is demanding, fast paced, almost constantly evolving, written very well in cordination of the music...some repeat moves...but all in all, a demanding visual book. Somewhat dirty...very GE effective. "Fanfare" was really good....Malaguena...was LOUD....a few park & barks....the crowd ate it up...The drum line again is capable, probably going to win it all based on how they sounded compared to last year. Guard has a lot of work...alot of work, more so than the last few years....Thank you April....the guard book is exciting, dramatic and highly enjoyable..a little dirty, but hey !!! they are doing quite a bit...some effective couple dancing in the beginning of "Malaguena" .

"Rocky point holiday" Was awesome..it gave me goosebumps. I remember hearing that song live in that very same stadium. The arrangement is fine, not too much variation from the original they presented......Drill well written and yes !! a "z" pull that turns into an "S"...

I think this show has alot of potential.....unlike 2001, this show is seamless, it fits together very well. If it is cleaned, and some "fire" is added...they will top Cavaliers...tonght, the spread was deseved..many individual breakdowns.

Well, thats it...Allentown tomorrow..cant wait...the crowd tonight was pathetic...they didnt shut up, cell phones ringing...people coming up and down the aisles and actually STOPPING during performances...it was very annoying........

Goodnight

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Thanks ~G~ for your great and INFORMED opinion. Now you actually have something to go off of.

GREAT review!!!

<from Kansas City....will be in Seattle tomorrow night>

Nice review G.You like the Cadets???lol :P