Phantom Regiment's "A Defiant Heart" and my take on the sa

Phantom Regiment's "A Defiant Heart" and my take on the same music.

cover_med.png

I marched with Crown in 96, but the show that changed my life that year was Phantom Regiment's A Defiant Heart. Poetry in motion. I've been in to music production for some years and I recently finished a huge body of work based on Shostakovich's 4th Ballet Suite (1st mov) in the form of an electronic music album. I would be thrilled if some members from that year (and any fans of that year) had a listen to it.

I give you Defiant Heart. This is my electronic tribute to a personal hero of artistic creation, Dmitri Shostakovich, whose compositions have always had the ability to move me. The eight pieces below are meant to be heard in succession from start to finish, as one piece builds in to the next. I like to think of the album as one complete sum of parts, divided in to movements -- each exploring its own variation on a theme that is prominent throughout. The music takes the listener on a journey, as it builds and builds to a final epic and billowing climax. You will hear layer upon layer of orchestra recording, thoughtfully sliced apart, deconstructed, and re-imagined, alongside hundreds of homegrown samples, all personally sequenced and presented here. If you're looking for songs built with pre-recorded loops, samples pulled from someone else's drum machine, or thoughtless repetition, then this album is not for you.

01. First Movement: Podolskaya Ulitsa [5:20]

02. Second Movement: To October [4:46]

03. Third Movement: First Denunciation [5:06]

04. Fourth Movement: Second Denunciation [4:54]

05. Fifth Movement: The Zhdanov Decree [4:45]

06. Sixth Movement: Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District [4:46]

07. Seventh Movement: War [15:28]

08. Eighth Movement: Legacy [9:31]

Here's the complete zip:

http://dep.fm/music/...fiant_heart.zip

There was a nice write-up about this album in our local paper:

www.mountainx.com/ae/2011/081711of-synthesizers-and-symphonies

More about me and much more music by me: http://dep.fm/

hope you like. :) I know you all appreciate the important subtleties around percussive elements, and if you like electronic music (or Shostakovich, really) in any form, then I think you should :)

dep

Edited by dep
  • Like 1

Phantom Regiment's "A Defiant Heart" and my take on the same music.

cover_med.png

I marched with Crown in 96, but the show that changed my life that year was Phantom Regiment's A Defiant Heart. Poetry in motion. I've been in to music production for some years and I recently finished a huge body of work based on Shostakovich's 4th Ballet Suite (1st mov) in the form of an electronic music album. I would be thrilled if some members from that year (and any fans of that year) had a listen to it.

I give you Defiant Heart. This is my electronic tribute to a personal hero of artistic creation, Dmitri Shostakovich, whose compositions have always had the ability to move me. The eight pieces below are meant to be heard in succession from start to finish, as one piece builds in to the next. I like to think of the album as one complete sum of parts, divided in to movements -- each exploring its own variation on a theme that is prominent throughout. The music takes the listener on a journey, as it builds and builds to a final epic and billowing climax. You will hear layer upon layer of orchestra recording, thoughtfully sliced apart, deconstructed, and re-imagined, alongside hundreds of homegrown samples, all personally sequenced and presented here. If you're looking for songs built with pre-recorded loops, samples pulled from someone else's drum machine, or thoughtless repetition, then this album is not for you.

01. First Movement: Podolskaya Ulitsa [5:20]

02. Second Movement: To October [4:46]

03. Third Movement: First Denunciation [5:06]

04. Fourth Movement: Second Denunciation [4:54]

05. Fifth Movement: The Zhdanov Decree [4:45]

06. Sixth Movement: Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District [4:46]

07. Seventh Movement: War [15:28]

08. Eighth Movement: Legacy [9:31]

Here's the complete zip:

http://dep.fm/music/...fiant_heart.zip

There was a nice write-up about this album in our local paper:

www.mountainx.com/ae/2011/081711of-synthesizers-and-symphonies

More about me and much more music by me: http://dep.fm/

hope you like. :) I know you all appreciate the important subtleties around percussive elements, and if you like electronic music (or Shostakovich, really) in any form, then I think you should :)

dep

Thanks will definitely be checking this out!

Very nice, I'll have to give some of that a listen.

I'll admit that the first time I ever saw the 1996 show, I thought it didn't seem like a 1st place show.

But man, after seeing it a few more times and familiarizing myself with it, it's one of my all-time favorites.

Admittedly, I wasn't all too familiar with a whole lot of Shostakovich before seeing A Defiant Heart, and I think that had a lot to do with my initial reaction. I've gladly remedied that problem as well.

Thanks for listening! Agree about the 96 show. I was fortunate enough to see it several times throughout the summer while I was marching. Beautiful show, truly. I was a fan of Shostakovich before that 1996 show, but I wasn't familiar at all with some of the music that they pulled in to it. love!

dep

Phantom 96 was a great show. I loved the music they used that year, probably one of top 3 musical shows from them of all time. It probably shouldn't have tied for the championship, as Blue Devils were better, but they definitely pulled some emotion out for that show. Looking forward to checking out the link posted here.

This is amazing. Simply amazing.

Hey thanks! Yeah, it's not for everyone. For me, mostly.

Sorry Dep. I imagine a lot went into your production and your talent shows, but I'll stick with the original Defiant Heart.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Qjsqk3THk4A

Don't apologize to me. To each his own.