Bobby Adair

Just so no one misses this... it was posted on the Alumni section, Bobby Adair famed soloist for Reilly Raiders back when, well respected instructor and judge and a member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame has passed on.

It was an honor to know Bobby. As a kid, he was definitely one of my idols. could he play a horn.

in the early 80's, I was judging a PA band show and in the judges room before the show, he walked up and introduced himself as our paths had not crossed prior. It was a memorable night for me - I was quite literally speechless (can you believe that?) to have him standing next to me and offering his hand. We met many times after - what a wonderful man and true drum corps giant. It was a thrill to have him welcome me into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame as a fellow member.

RIP Bobby.

Down thru the years I have worn out that Fleetwood record of Bob Adair's solo of Stardust. But I still listen to it and marvel to this day at the magnificent sound coming out of his single valve horn. RIP Bobby!

Just received this from Dr. Mark. Had no idea about Bobby winning nationals on both soprano and snare... wow

It saddens me to have to relay the news of the passing of Bob Adair. The following will also be posted on our website. Archer-Epler joins the Reilly Raiders and the rest of the drum corps world in mourning the passing of Bob Adair. He was the longtime horn instructor of the Reilly Raiders and Liberty Bell, as well as many other corps throughout the Philadelphia area and elsewhere in Pennsylvania. Among one of his phenomenal accomplishments was winning individual national championships both as a soprano horn and a snare drummer. Bob assisted Archie briefly in 1981 when the corps was returning to competition, while his son Dale taught percussion for us over several years. He was well-known throughout the drum corps world and received just about ever conceivable honor and award, but remained a humble, approachable individual that we enjoyed and appreciated. Along with his first instructor at Osmond, Lee Wolf, Bob will be honored at next week's Brass Reunion. The funeral arrangements for Bob appear below. Viewing Tuesday 7 - 9 p.m.

Viewing Wednesday 9 - 11 a.m.

Givinish Funeral Home

10975 Academy Road

Philadelphia, PA

(215) 281-0100

Mark Fulcomer, Director, Archer-Epler "Musketeers"

For Bobby

RIP

Clip produced by Gail Langan for The Buglers Hall of Fame

Edited by Mellofello01

For Bobby

RIP

Clip produced by Gail Langan for The Buglers Hall of Fame

Wow... what a great sound from that horn. May he rest in peace.

the memories are flowing... sweet isn't the word for it... that sound from what looks like a WFL soprano (maybe a conn or leedy) in the 50's? wow... just wow...

the memories are flowing... sweet isn't the word for it... that sound from what looks like a WFL soprano (maybe a conn or leedy) in the 50's? wow... just wow...

Totally agree. To put out that kind of sound and tone on what basically was a tinker-toy instrument... amazing.

Got to hear Bobby Adair play his horn on a weekly basis from '66 thru '67, as he wrote for, and instructed our hornline (Pennsylvania Brigadiers and the Earls of Bucks)- a real treat! What a great guy. He gave me my first solos at the age of 14 in "My Funny Valentine", and "Phantom Trumpet" with the Earls (It didn't sit well with some of the 17 and 18 year old's I beat out for the part). He was truly an inspiration to me.

Bob Cook

Got to hear Bobby Adair play his horn on a weekly basis from '66 thru '67, as he wrote for, and instructed our hornline (Pennsylvania Brigadiers and the Earls of Bucks)- a real treat! What a great guy. He gave me my first solos at the age of 14 in "My Funny Valentine", and "Phantom Trumpet" with the Earls (It didn't sit well with some of the 17 and 18 year old's I beat out for the part). He was truly an inspiration to me.

Bob Cook

Amazing player - amazing legacy, especially in Pennsylvania.

How many of the giants remain?

Never say "never", but I doubt anyone will ever again win I&E on both soprano and snare.

A few years ago, I was looking for a piece to play at DCA I&E on my old-school slip-slide horn. "Stardust" seemed ideal, but Bobby Adair virtually owned that solo, so I called him to get his blessing. After introducing myself, I asked if I could play it for him on speaker phone to get his input.

He laughed. "Hey, man. Play it just like that", he said. "You'll do fine." I did, and I won.

The way I figure it, that medal belongs to him. I was just passing along his mojo.

God bless Bobby Adair. We won't see the likes of him again.

• Like 2