Your Instrument(s)

mosthumbleone

I'm a horn player with a Conn 8DRS--plays like a dream, though it lacks the "oomph" of my older nickel 8D. Sweet, sweet tone in all ranges!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a used Dynasty G baritone bugle (1997 model) from Carolina Crown in the winter. Similar to the bari model I played on in Glassmen and Statesmen, but the 2nd valve slide is bent closer to the valve casing, which is very nice since it doesn't dig into my stomach as much as those other models did (left hand hold at Statesmen, so the horn is held with valve slides on the midsection when at parade rest).

I play a Shilke 51D when I play 2nd-3rd bari parts and a Shilke 50 for 1st bari parts.

I have two sopranos - both Kanstul, one Powerbore, one standard.

Trumpet - Holton Admiral - MF Horn

Mouthpiece - Soprano I use a Callet 17s Magnum, Trumpet, Schilke 15A4a

Larry

Since I was noticing many Corps going to Bb instruments ( and I hadn't played at all since I marched I picked up a:

DEG Dynasty Baritone Bugle (3-valve)

from the Crossmen sale after Finals last year. It's a bit beat up but it works! I even play it on occasion.

:blink:

When I marched we had the DEG Dynasty II's

I play on a Kanstul Mellophone. The corps owns the horn, and it plays nice.

I want a Kanstul of my own, but they're hard to find, and I refuse to play a DEG again.

Well...

I own 2 trumpets

1. Yamaha Brass Trumpet Student Model which i on a Schilke 13B.

2. Kanstul K700 Trumpet, which is the equivalent of a Bach 37, same mouthpiece

Kanstul Model 925 Flugelhorn in Bb.

In 2002, I borrowed a mellophone from a good buddy of mine, it was a Dynasty 3-valve mellophone from the Kiwanis Kavaliers, which is in great shape. Thanks Paul Olsen!

Last year, i switched Mellos and played on a DEG from Pacific Crest.

As of 2004, I now own a Kanstul K180 Mellophone, in G, and it plays like a beauty!

Thats me!

Edited by batmanrenegade

• 2 weeks later...

I am a tuba/bass trombone player. However, I have never owned my own horn. I haven't played in a while because I am in the military. I am looking to get back into playing shape, anybody recommend a horn I can start with (either tuba, euphonium, or bass bone)? :)

Back when I marched it was 2 years on a DEG 2-valve french horn and 1 year on a Kanstul 3-valve (with the upturned leadpipe). The Kanstuls were big improvements over the DEGs. You could actually find a high F on a Kanstul. The note just wasn't in the DEG anywhere.

I now play on a Yamaha 862 and an Alexander 103. In the closet I also have two old E-flat horns (one single horn and one alto mellophone) given to me out of the attic of the high school where my brother-in-law directed the band.

I have a year old silver compensating euphonium.

Its gorgeous.

Ohhhhh I left out that its a Willson euphonium. How could I forget?

Is it mine? :lol: no, its the school's.