In Season Corps Fundraiser Idea

Was making dinner tonight and had this thought. Would it work or even be possible for corps to fund raise at shows by utilizing their cook truck as the mobile kitchen and restaurant it really is? I realize some shows would never allow it as it would take greatly from concession sales, but what if corps could instead sell food from their trucks to spectators? Corps could decide for themselves if they want to participate and to what extent. Even set their own prices. Many corps eat VERY well, why not capitalize on this? Would it just be the shows preventing it so they can try and make money? Anyone else think that people would pay maybe even an extra dollar or two to grab that burger or philly steak and cheese from a corps truck versus a concession stand?

Just trying to think outside the box for some fund raising ideas for corps. Plus it's the offseason and somehow these are the thoughts that ended up in my head. Anyone else have a thought on this or maybe some other way corps can make some money on the road using resources they already have?

When you say an extra dollar or two, exactly what do you mean ?

While I think it sure is alot to ask of the cook crew, if it was a corps I wanted to support, I'd pay say $15 or so for a meal.

I could see some corps doing it once or twice a year but to ask the crews to do it often would be too much.

Maybe if each corps would do a meal they are well known for at their home show ?

• Like 1

I kind of just threw the idea out there. It could be a lot to ask of a cook crew. I can't see it being at every show. But maybe big shows, like San Antonio you have all the cook trucks parked off site just a little walking distance. Then it's almost like a food truck that many businesses have outside of an office for lunch time. It'd obviously be up to the corps in the end to what degree they wanna participate (just heat up some chicken nuggets, or put on a 30$ 4 course meal) whatever they'd think would actually make them some money.

Was making dinner tonight and had this thought. Would it work or even be possible for corps to fund raise at shows by utilizing their cook truck as the mobile kitchen and restaurant it really is? I realize some shows would never allow it as it would take greatly from concession sales, but what if corps could instead sell food from their trucks to spectators? Corps could decide for themselves if they want to participate and to what extent. Even set their own prices. Many corps eat VERY well, why not capitalize on this? Would it just be the shows preventing it so they can try and make money? Anyone else think that people would pay maybe even an extra dollar or two to grab that burger or philly steak and cheese from a corps truck versus a concession stand?

Just trying to think outside the box for some fund raising ideas for corps. Plus it's the offseason and somehow these are the thoughts that ended up in my head. Anyone else have a thought on this or maybe some other way corps can make some money on the road using resources they already have?

It is good to think outside the box; and while this sounds interesting here are things to think about:

The cooking crew is made up of mostly volunteers and they already sleep less than the corps members and corps staff. They arise each morning while the corps and staff (anywhere from 100 - 180 people) are sleeping in the gymnasium; they prepare breakfast; once the corps and staff are awake they serve breakfast; while the corps rehearses they clean-up; they prepare lunch/dinner; the corps and staff finish rehearsal and the volunteers serve lunch/dinner; while the corps showers and packs the volunteers clean-up; they pack-up the trailer and take it to the show site; while the corps performs they prepare snacks; when the corps gets back to the buses they serve snacks; they clean-up; they pack-up and travel to the next housing site (and usually only get to sleep during this travel time). Then once they arrive at the next housing site they unpack and once again prepare breakfast. So, how are these wonderful volunteers supposed to also cook and serve for thousands of spectators?

A change on that idea, offer it at rehearsal site. Sometimes those of us who like to stop by and watch get hungry and don't want to miss out on a large chunk. Make a couple extra sandwiches and leave them out for a couple bucks. I'd be happy to leave a few dollars with my favorite corps.

A change on that idea, offer it at rehearsal site. Sometimes those of us who like to stop by and watch get hungry and don't want to miss out on a large chunk. Make a couple extra sandwiches and leave them out for a couple bucks. I'd be happy to leave a few dollars with my favorite corps.

Toby and Iplaytimpani: Might I suggest both of you volunteer on a cooking crew for two weeks out on the road; and then get back to us on your ideas. I have a strong suspicion that you will change your minds once you realize that the cooking crew actually works much harder, and puts in much more hours of work, than any other staff on any corps.

This is why I think it could be an idea that would work for SOME corps. Some corps have days when they have enough hands to pull this off. Other times, they're thin as can be and wouldn't want to participate. I'm talking about giving the corps the ability to do this. In some ways it's not MUCH different than having the souvie booth which is also manned by a volunteer putting in the same long hours and often cooking as well.

Putting aside potential issues with health and other regulations, the logistics don't favor any such opportunity.

Mike is right about over-taxing food crews who often struggle just to meet the corps' needs. That includes very tight schedules for moving from housing to show sites (where typically there are no water hook-ups and thus no way to clean properly). At most sites there is hardly enough.room for souvies much less a big semi. And then the truck would be far from the corps when it's time for snack.

Can't see this happening.

HH

• Like 1