Here...let's try again...Open Class Corps...

True; but a non-profit extending a line of credit is far more risky than a for-profit business doing the same extension. For-profits are not restricted with over-bearing draconian rules and regulations on how they can procure income like non-profits. I mean I completely understand the need of governmental oversight on non-profits to make sure their capital is going for the mission of the organization, but many of these extremely severe rules and regulations are what causes directors to just rely on projected income from the dues of performers. Allow non-profits more ways to procure capital through the free market and many problems would be solved.

Your comments bring up two points. 1. Have a loose mission statement. That's key. To provide young people an education in the music and pagentry of drum and bugle corps can be accomplished by many different sized not-fors. I can rent a van and take 12 kids to a local show. Mission accomplished. I can also tour the country with 200 people. Mission again, accomplished.

2. Drum corps will die if the tax code changes to eliminate tax deductions on charitible contributions. Die. End. Over.

Edited by Tom Brace

Your comments bring up too points. 1. Have a loose mission statement. That's key. To provide young people an education in the music and pagentry of drum and bugle corps can be accomplished by many different sized not-fors. I can rent a van and take 12 kids to a local show. Mission accomplished. I can also tour the country with 200 people. Mission again, accomplished.

2. Drum corps will die if the tax code changes to eliminate tax deductions on charitible contributions. Die. End. Over.

I agree with your point 1. In hindsight our mission statement was too specific decades ago. It should have included keywords like education, music, arts, sports, health, travel, youth, adults, culture, competition, entertainment and so on.

With respect to item 2, I have a hypothetical question ;) I'm Canadian and donate to charities in my country. Once a year, I receive a tax deduction slip in the mail. If I donate to a Drum Corps that is not in my country, do I also receive a tax deduction slip? How do international donations work? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks in advance Tom :)

I agree with your point 1. In hindsight our mission statement was too specific decades ago. It should have included keywords like education, music, arts, sports, health, travel, youth, adults, culture, competition, entertainment and so on.

With respect to item 2, I have a hypothetical question ;) I'm Canadian and donate to charities in my country. Once a year, I receive a tax deduction slip in the mail. If I donate to a Drum Corps that is not in my country, do I also receive a tax deduction slip? How do international donations work? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks in advance Tom :)

I believe if the gift was of a potentially tax deductible nature, you would be sent a notice (usually on letterhead) with information regarding your donation. If I give to a worldwide charity like UMCOR for instance, I still receive a potential tax deduction, depending if I have reached the maximum I can deduct....etc.

Does Canada have similar tax policies? I would think so. Trust me, if you would like to give some money to the Arizona Academy...I can make sure you get a letter really quickly. Promise.

Ok, everyone. I think I know how to get a topic removed from the Open Class discussion forum. Let's try this.

Which Open Class corps have their act together from a management aspect. I marvel at how BDB can go from California to Indianapolis each year. Also, the Oregon Crusaders seem to have put things back together after their hiatus. How about those Spartans? Everything seems to be fixed there. That's a very good thing.

Who else. And...let's stay positive, ok folks?

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets - Always a well thought out/strategic plan for what their season will entail (i.e. regional tour vs. touring to the World Championships).

Colt Cadets - An incredible, sustained model of a corps that is truly in service to the community.

Your comments bring up two points. 1. Have a loose mission statement. That's key. To provide young people an education in the music and pagentry of drum and bugle corps can be accomplished by many different sized not-fors. I can rent a van and take 12 kids to a local show. Mission accomplished. I can also tour the country with 200 people. Mission again, accomplished.

I disagree with #2 completely. If we can get a flat tax that eliminates all of the stupid deductions that create only loopholes, it will ultimately create more expendable income for the people that donate a sizable amount already. They would still donate.

I disagree with #2 completely. If we can get a flat tax that eliminates all of the stupid deductions that create only loopholes, it will ultimately create more expendable income for the people that donate a sizable amount already. They would still donate.

People will always continue to help out with charitable things they are "directly" associated with like their own church activities, or their own drum corps, that is true. And while this is the wrong forum to evaluate the merits of a flat tax, I highly, and I mean highly, disagree with you on the donations issue if charitable deductions were eliminated. Why? Because the deduction system has a huge psychological effect as well as an actual effect. Most upper-income people with the "real" capital donate to various non-profits outside of their own sphere of interest (not) out of altruism, (not) out of love, (not) out of charity, (not) out of it is the right thing to do, but because it is best for their financial bottom-line; period. We are not talking about increasing expendable income here which is used for personal interest and pleasure such as travel, boats, collector cars, fine wine, etc, but income that would have been taxed if not donated for a deduction. Take away those deductions incentives and you take away all, and I mean all, psychological and actual incentive for the wealthy to write out their $5k, $10k, $100k, $1M checks to multiple non-profits outside their own personal interests; which is, by the way, the main contribution life-blood of most non-profit existence.

Edited by Stu

You bring up a couple of examples of corps on the rebound. Does that automatically indicate outstanding management? What's your take?

No, sorry if it caused confusion - I merely pointed those two rebounding corps as an example of, "If they have outstanding admin" they hopefully won't become inactive again. It's kind of a real life experiment for this thread. I'm curious to see how the season pans out for those two corps- hopefully for the best :)

I continue to be amazed by the BDB organization. Professional and Efficient. In my opinion, Rick Odello and Staff

are THE best of the best.

Cali.

• Like 1

You bring up a couple of examples of corps on the rebound. Does that automatically indicate outstanding management? What's your take?

Thought I'd throw my $0.02 in. It takes great management regardless to run a corps well, but it's my opinion it takes a special kind of person/people to either start up or resurrect a corps. A corps that is up and running benefits from it's previous success. A corps like BDB doesn't have to worry about recruiting, uniforms, equipment, staff, and the other million things as much as Brand New Corps does because BDB has a large base of support.

I have never seen anything less than class from DCI corps and members, but in the OC realm, BDB, SCVC, OC, Spartans, Music City are standout corps.

• Like 1

While not competitive at a high level, on a management evaluation, les Stentors would look like a champion.

Run in the black for the last 5 years, living in their means, even insvesting money towards other corps.

Plenty of volunteers (all parents are require to volunteer 25 hours - or pay an extra 150$).

Maintaining one of the lowest tuition I know (850$ if you do NOT volunteer). Even offering an extra deduction of 400$ for a parent doing at least 10 days on the DCI tour.

Great food: cook by... a professional cook!!

--------

Other side:

Yes they still play with G bugle

Yes they travel in school bus (but they own it)

Yes they have a younger membership (average 14,5)

Yes they have problem finding full time staff in a french province with no other drum corps, and not a single marching band around!

-------

Management wise; a really good organisation

• Like 1