Staff or Talent?

This is relevant to DCI how? You could've talked about Open Class but instead you went back to the fact that you march(ed) DCA. We get it.

If you think I did something that bad, then report me.....

And FYI, just added you to my ignore list.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

LOL, what the Hell did I do... scare everyone of????

Trying to compare todays build up scoring system with the tic system back in my day and wondering which would make more of a difference with a less talented corps:

Today: Designing a total show that is "right" for the talent level of a corps.

BITD: "Watering down" (I'm from that era I can say it :tongue: ) anything that would produce a lot of execution tics. And for the younger set execution was judged in drill, drums and horns.

Edit: IMO, this is a subject that affects all groups within Drum Corps (DCI, DCA, Alumni-type, Mini, etc). Made my "Class A" post so people not in the know might find out that this isn't something only hitting DCI.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I marched 2002 Madison Scouts, we had some of the most talented veteran members, most of whom started marching in the 20th century ('97-'99, lol)! In 2003, we hired a new visual and design team, as well as management and colorguard staff. Another change this year, the musical talent dropped definitely, with the loss of an incredible group of ageouts the year before, and the incoming group of kids weren't exactly as talented as the average talent pool that came to Madison. The average member age in '03 was 17 1/2.

2002 - Semifinals placement of 14th. Did not make Finals.

2003 - 8th place Finals.

Something to think about when it comes to the power behind the design of a show.

• Like 1

Staff or Talent ? This is an invalid question.

Both are merely factors that contribute to the total equation. Madbass gave a good example, but here's some more points to think about.

Higher-placing corps generally have larger talent draws, both for staff and members.

When you get an incoming member class of a fairly predictable talent level, or you know from years of experience that your staff can bring any group up to a certain level, you can design to those criteria.

Contrarily, If you have to compromise every season between marching a full hornline and marching a capable hornline, you don't know how well your group can handle certain challenges, and so you can't write or design to suit as well.

Due to the nature of the drum corps beast, the later in the season you change something the less time you have to clean it. This means that staffs have to make judgement calls early on about whether the ballad is working or if that staging is broken. Having the stability of a predictable staff and member talent level means those calls are going to be right more often, and less likely to need making in the first place.