Proposed DCI Reorganization

So, DCI is scaling back on the quest for Major League? DCI is contracting and downsizing to keep expenditures below revenue intake? DCI is eliminating multiple shows to keep tour costs at a minimum? DCI is limiting tour millage to keep corps from overextending their financial resources?

DCI is. Simple statement. It as an entity...exists.

This does work; and I have seen a few non-profits with for-profit subsidiaries. But where does an existing drum corps or DCI secure the close to a million dollars in up-front investment money to open up say a Subway Sandwich Franchise in which the profits will go into the non-profit corporation and not back to the investors?
You still have not supplied an answer to my post #356.

Do something with a lower barrier to entry.

You could not have answered that one for yourself???

Marshall, Will and Holly in this thread.

• Like 1

No offense taken; however I am now seeing a paradox created in this thread. a) We need judges training, therefore we need a centralized judging system for that training; b) but by analyzing centralized systems already in place within DCI, WGI, TOB, NJA, etc. people still complain about the quality of the judges training. Ergo the paradox.

as a wise old sage once told me, right here on DCP, you're worth as a judge is determined by the score you gave that night. Only problem issome will like it, some will not

:tongue:

So does USSBA. What I wonder is how the comments are focussed. Will a band that comes out doing a high "chair" step, swinging body, chest high drums, playing "On, Wisconsin" get feedback based on THAT type of show concept, or would the comments/ratings be based on TOB competitive sheet criteria?

if they perform in festival class, A class or Open Class, there is a system in place to judge every band, regardless of style on that classification. So Festival is more "hey we want your band to look and sound better and for thekids to get more into performing, so let's not be totally cheerleaders, but be helpful."

A Class is focused on developmental with some focus on the nitty gritty to be more competitively successful.

Open Class education is a focus yes, but these are the bands going for the gold, so they want and expect feedback to help them achieve that gold. It's very fun tojudge all 3 classes...I kinda look at it like indoor...novice, intermediate, A/above.

They should have for profit subsidiaries focused on specific activities.

that would make sense. Now I wonder where to get teh cash to start them. Because...if they fail, it will bleed over.

that would make sense. Now I wonder where to get teh cash to start them.

My whole point... like the whole point of the entire thread.... was that DCI already has these businesses. They already have the skill and infrastructure and capacity... they just need to start applying it to other areas where there is more money.

There is no need to make any significant new investments, just refocus efforts a bit to do pretty much exactly what they do internally, but for external clients (CORPORATE!!!!).

Once some cash is made there, use part of that cash to explore other opportunities for additional revenue streams.

Because...if they fail, it will bleed over.

Um... did you understand the one main point about restructuring?

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

My whole point... like the whole point of the entire thread.... was that DCI already has these businesses. They already have the skill and infrastructure and capacity... they just need to start applying it to other areas where there is more money.

There is no need to make any significant new investments, just refocus efforts a bit to do pretty much exactly what they do internally, but for external clients (CORPORATE!!!!).

Once some cash is made there, use part of that cash to explore other opportunities for additional revenue streams.

there's got to some cash outlayed Dan. more employees as business will increase, probably more than DCi has capacity for. Possible systems upgrades. Possible more office space.

you seem to think DCI has all these people laying around for 9 months of the year doing nothing, and they have web people playing games all year waiting to do something til they put up ticket info for next year. DCi runs a tight ship already with not a lot of people. If they are going to pick up external customers, you're going to have to add people and equipment, and possibly get more space. That aint cheap.

• Like 1

there's got to some cash outlayed Dan. more employees as business will increase, probably more than DCi has capacity for. Possible systems upgrades. Possible more office space.

So business increases, yet revenues stay the same???

you seem to think DCI has all these people laying around for 9 months of the year doing nothing, and they have web people playing games all year waiting to do something til they put up ticket info for next year. DCi runs a tight ship already with not a lot of people. If they are going to pick up external customers, you're going to have to add people and equipment, and possibly get more space. That aint cheap.

80% of what DCI does should currently be outsourced. Good thing is that they can outsource to themselves.

Spin out the internal groups and outsource 80% of these activities to the newly formed subsidiary companies, who will also take on work for other clients.

As you add new clients, new projects, you new resources, supported by increased revenues.

This isn't ####### rocket science. This is pretty basic stuff.

• Like 1

This does work; and I have seen a few non-profits with for-profit subsidiaries. But where does an existing drum corps or DCI secure the close to a million dollars in up-front investment money to open up say a Subway Sandwich Franchise in which the profits will go into the non-profit corporation and not back to the investors?

Now, Stu...you're being a little apoplectic aren't you?

The point is to focus on what assets DCI already has that can be leveraged into another business not related to corps. Running the tour scheduling for marching band competitions (under the name of the circuit sponsor, like BOA), is an example.

Building a central repository for judges for all circuits is another.

The object is to think outside the box and think of other jobs that DCI can lever up.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1