Proposed DCI Reorganization

Seems you know much more on this topic than I do, as I was not able to see exactly how it wouldn't work. Bummer.

I think maybe you're starting to get the point. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Seems you know much more on this topic than I do, as I was not able to see exactly how it wouldn't work. Bummer.

I dont know, maybe it's something to do with understanding how businesses work, and where the cash comes from to start new ideas.

I mean, hey, I'll gladly be logical if it means i get insulted

• Like 1

Seven Ways To Light a Fire Without a Match

spark > tinder > kindling > log > coal

I don't see lack of funds up there.

I don't see lack of funds up there.

Capital is a barrier to establishing a new revenue stream only for the unconfident, unskilled and unimaginative.

If your ultimate idea needs significant capital in order to execute, start with a different, smaller idea... one that generates smaller revenues and work up to it... create the ability to self-finance.

If you're lost in the wilderness, freezing your ### off... you don't wait for someone to come along with a zippo and a bag of charcoal briquettes. You get creative, find things around you, things either easily available or that you already possess, to create a small spark... catch that spark to light a tiny bit of tinder... and work your way up, step by step to a bonfire.

Using lack of capital as an excuse to starting a business is the same as a guy using the lack of a gym membership as the excuse for his fat ###.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

Capital is a barrier to establishing a new revenue stream only for the unconfident, unskilled and unimaginative.

If your ultimate idea needs significant capital in order to execute, start with a different, smaller idea... one that generates smaller revenues and work up to it... create the ability to self-finance.

If you're lost in the wilderness, freezing your ### off... you don't wait for someone to come along with a zippo and a bag of charcoal briquettes. You get creative, find things around you, things either easily available or that you already possess, to create a small spark... catch that spark to light a tiny bit of tinder... and work your way up, step by step to a bonfire.

Using lack of capital as an excuse to starting a business is the same as a guy using the lack of a gym membership as the excuse for his fat ###.

And that's all good in the world that lives in your head. You are better off starting something new...without capital...than you are with an idea to alter the course of a 40 year old business model.

And it's more than just capital, so I'll grant you that. I could come to DCI with $250M and buy the whole thing, but I don't believe it would be a wise expendature on my part. And neither did Bill Cook after he walked away from DCI. So, I think two guys in a garage have a better shot at developing something new and big than reforming a not for profit or a series of not-for profit. Too many stakeholders to appease. Much of the effort will be fighting intangibles and political/emotional objections rather than those formed from logic. In short, too many people to please or move out of the way.

What you suggest is not impossible, but the core (all puns intended) has to be rigid, solid, set in stone, unwavering in order to build. New Co. has to have the blessing of 4-5 current organizations' hierarchy to work. Jettison one...perhaps, but if two move out...decide their cost to benefit ratio isn't exciting enough and the house starts to collapse.

Then, the whole thing could end up worse than the early 1990s of DCI...its toughest era to date.

I get it. You have time to dream and be creative. That's terrific. And if you have the ear of the DMs near the center of this entity...good for you.

I just haven't seen your ideas in any format where I go, "Eureka!" And without that...without the "It's made of stars!" moment...I'll pass.

But keep formulating. There may be that golden nugget in there...in all of this. So far, not seeing it.

And New Co. could be "The City of Indianapolis." They have as much large convention, special events, etc. experience than most cities their size. Most likely tons of expertise to leverage with them.

• Like 2

And that's all good in the world that lives in your head. You are better off starting something new...without capital...than you are with an idea to alter the course of a 40 year old business model.

I do think IBM should have just stuck with typewriters.

I could come to DCI with $250M and buy the whole thing, but I don't believe it would be a wise expendature on my part.

An interesting valuation.

And neither did Bill Cook after he walked away from DCI. So, I think two guys in a garage have a better shot at developing something new and big than reforming a not for profit or a series of not-for profit. Too many stakeholders to appease. Much of the effort will be fighting intangibles and political/emotional objections rather than those formed from logic. In short, too many people to please or move out of the way.

Seems you don't really get what I am saying at all. How does offering in-house skills and services to external clients get into something that is political or emotional?

BTW - The Fighting Intangibles... absolute perfect name for the mascot of a math/science magnet school.

What you suggest is not impossible, but the core (all puns intended) has to be rigid, solid, set in stone, unwavering in order to build. New Co. has to have the blessing of 4-5 current organizations' hierarchy to work. Jettison one...perhaps, but if two move out...decide their cost to benefit ratio isn't exciting enough and the house starts to collapse.

I recognize the words.. but no idea really what you are trying to say.

Then, the whole thing could end up worse than the early 1990s of DCI...its toughest era to date.

I get it. You have time to dream and be creative. That's terrific. And if you have the ear of the DMs near the center of this entity...good for you.

I just haven't seen your ideas in any format where I go, "Eureka!" And without that...without the "It's made of stars!" moment...I'll pass.

But keep formulating. There may be that golden nugget in there...in all of this. So far, not seeing it.

Well, this certainly wouldn't work without your approval. I'm not that naive.

And New Co. could be "The City of Indianapolis." They have as much large convention, special events, etc. experience than most cities their size. Most likely tons of expertise to leverage with them.

Now there is a novel idea, DCI creates the city of Indianapolis as a subsidiary in order to easily generate revenue from sources outside the activity. This is a possibility I really hadn't considered.

A few questions...

Would this be a clone of the current city, just put someplace else... like say, Gary? or...

Would you just tear down the old one and build the new one on the same site?

What would you do with all the people living there?

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

Excellent snark, sir. You should be congratulated.

Hats off to you, sir. Keep pitching. Fall camps haven't started yet.

I do think IBM should have just stuck with typewriters.

An interesting valuation.

Seems you don't really get what I am saying at all. How does offering in-house skills and services to external clients get into something that is political or emotional?

BTW - The Fighting Intangibles... absolute perfect name for the mascot of a math/science magnet school.

I recognize the words.. but no idea really what you are trying to say.

Well, this certainly wouldn't work without your approval. I'm not that naive.

Now there is a novel idea, DCI creates the city of Indianapolis as a subsidiary in order to easily generate revenue from sources outside the activity. This is a possibility I really hadn't considered.

A few questions...

Would this be a clone of the current city, just put someplace else... like say, Gary? or...

Would you just tear down the old one and build the new one on the same site?

What would you do with all the people living there?