Computer-generated Drill Design

Also there are things out like this: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html where you could monitor for different frequencies and have an idea on what the music is trying to get across. wouldn't really be that hard to code, in something like C/C++.

Also there are things out like this: http://www.phy.mtu.e.../notefreqs.html where you could monitor for different frequencies and have an idea on what the music is trying to get across. wouldn't really be that hard to code, in something like C/C++.

Interesting. I was thinking you'd just use midi files for the music.

Might suggest coding in C# instead of C++... keep presentation layer completely disconnected from logical so you have more flexibility (example... web app on ipad).

• Like 1

Interesting. I was thinking you'd just use midi files for the music.

Might suggest coding in C# instead of C++... keep presentation layer completely disconnected from logical so you have more flexibility (example... web app on ipad).

Well midi files could work, but that eliminates the opportunity to write some charts to pre-recorded songs. Which is good and bad, especially when it comes to rights... I would have to work back to C#, I've been doing a lot of programs in Assembly Language recently. Biggest pain of a language to write to ever.

That's sort of like being really into Gregorian chant.

Lol, it's for class, unfortunately.

Well midi files could work, but that eliminates the opportunity to write some charts to pre-recorded songs.

In this day and age would be rare when a midi file would not be available (usually more available than a recording). Midi is really the best way to effectively do this.

• Like 1

I stood on a field at Boston University in 1991 between 10PM and 2AM, and I not only participated, I watched George Zingali create the Cross to Cross in 4 hours, no pencil, no paper. Go back and check out the last 30 seconds of that show.... Put that in your computer... and watch it blow up !!!!!

• Like 1

Computer will have to know how to do effective voice staging (often forgot, even among drill designers) and guard staging (an art). Come up with creative guard transitions that are not forced. Effectively be able to move the eye to where it needs to go. Pick up on musical motifs and be able to exploit it visually. Use all elements of the band/corps in a coordinated fashion.

I could go on more but you will have to design a program to write like only a handful of writers do well.

Sorry, drill is far more then morphing squiggly lines and rotating blocks. Might as well make a program that designs guard choreography.

Edited by CloudHype
  • Like 1

Homework assignment?

Apart from the fact I don't really code anymore (I write sloppy code anyway), the software aspects of it would not really be all that useful "out of the box". It needs to be loaded with reference sources and needs to be "trained". This is a sort of thing that would get smarter and more effective the more it was used.

What I described is actually pretty remedial and not really all that complicated from a code perspective. The real thought that needs to go into is really on the math side of things... and creating an effective taxonomy for tags (some should be selected from a set of common system tags - without this, you could have very similar things not recognized as similar because of poorly formed tags), while a limited number could be freeform (but only for specific attributes like designer, composer, etc.).

Again, perfect sort of project for a grad level CS student.

If they created something interesting, it could be a nice core for a Pyware replacement, which is not only ancient, but pretty poorly written.

This wouldn't be a trivial exercise. It would probably be beyond the scope of one person's work and would require knowledge from several different areas. I know I wouldn't want to take it on as a CS grad student. I could see a team taking it on, but where would the money be in it? It's still a cool idea, I believe you don't know the complexity of the problem.

This wouldn't be a trivial exercise. It would probably be beyond the scope of one person's work and would require knowledge from several different areas. I know I wouldn't want to take it on as a CS grad student. I could see a team taking it on, but where would the money be in it? It's still a cool idea, I believe you don't know the complexity of the problem.

I'm a dual CS/Math.