Too old to start DCI?

As a rook-out I have a few suggestions:

1) Do it. It will literally be the best decision you will ever make - no matter where you go.

2) You get out what you put in. If you push yourself you will surprise yourself on what you can do.

3) Start conditioning now - getting yourself to the gym and start getting your cardiovascular health better. This saved my body, before going to outside rehearsals I had lost 25 pounds..

4) Get a group of friends to go with you. Save on gas and have a fun time traveling. Some of my best memories were from the road trips to camps and rehearsals.

Best of luck - and keep us updated :)

Sage advise! But I would add just a couple more things. Visit a DCA open house near you to get the flavor of what they are all about, but most importantly, if you do nothing in DCI, you will reflect the rest of your life on what could have been so "Just do it!"

• Like 1

I was a rook-out way back when, but it was worth it.

I agree with Sam: It doesn't matter where you march....just MARCH!

Thank you guys for all of this awesome advice :)

I'm gonna go to the Jersey Surf Kickoff Weekend on Friday and take it from there.

I'm really excited!

Good for YOU. GOOD LUCK! Go for it.

Here's hoping it works out for YOU!

BUT,

Remember if that does not work out. Don't give up.

(seems like you are in Jersey. Here are 6 more.)

"Raiders' - "Spirit of NJ" - "Windsor Regiment" - "Fusion" - "Bushwackers" and "Cabs"

Some of which have a small, if not a Free Open House. (Aud/Try out fee)

I know for sure, ALL would welcome YOU.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys for all of this awesome advice :)

I'm gonna go to the Jersey Surf Kickoff Weekend on Friday and take it from there.

I'm really excited!

Well? How did it go?

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a little late, but for anyone asking the same question nowadays I decided to give an answer (: 19 is definitly not too old, infact the first year ill be able to participate in DCI is when im 19, ill be 18 when I graduate and then 19 when I start camps that fall and march the next summer. One year is better than nothing. (: sadly because my birthday isnt in a summer month I dont get that bonus year, so I can only march 3 years, make the best of it !

I don't regret not marching in drum corps because I had many fulfilling experiences in late high school and early college summers, and I went to shows all the time. However, I let a few things keep me from marching. One I was a woodwind player myself and assumed that the local corps I wanted to march with, two of who were DCI finalists multiple times, one that should have been, and one we all thought would make it eventually, didn't train rookies completely wet behind the ear for brass instruments. I later learned I was wrong. Even the beat corps in our area took untrained rookies the directors believed had what it took to be in the corps. There was also a bit of a lack of confidence on my part. The people who I knew who marched with these corps were season professionals as far as drum corps was concerned and I compared myself to them. These same people today claim I love drum corps more than they did and knew more about it than they did, not true, but I love hearing it.

Now I'm an adult and if I had to do it over again, I'd probably at least try. But we are not talking about me, we're talking about you, and as someone who professionally has to give advice all the time, including to people in your age bracket, I say audition. As a former marching band member, I also say audition. As a sax player, you're probably flexible and go with the flow, at least most sax players I know are, so you can handle the stress. You're only too old when you are no longer eligible. AUDITION!!!

Edited by Tim K