1982 Genneseo Knights

Just downloaded this show from the Genneseo Knights alumni webpage http://www.knightscorps.org . What a great show. It was a sad day when DCI lost this corps. Just another of the non elite corps that fell to the wayside. It seems to me that there are so many great corps from the eighties that were just almost there that many kids in the activity today have never heard of. Just to name a few...

Genneseo Knights

Marauders

Argonauts

Florida Wave

Guardsmen

The eighties were such a great decade to be a competitor in.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having competed against them head to head, I'd have to agree with all of the above statements. I liked their '83 show as well.

A list of top 25 corps we lost in the 80's (showing the last top 25 showing and placement)...

Long Island Kingsmen (80, 16th place)

Royal Brigade (80, 21st)

Royal Crusaders (80, 24th)

Guardsmen (81, 15th)

St. Croix Rivermen (81, 23rd)

Defenders (82, 20th)

Memphis Blues Brass Band (82, 19th)

North Star (82, 16th)

San Jose Raiders (82, 23rd)

Seattle Imperials (82, 25th)

S-H Alliance (83, 14th)

Bridgemen (84, 14th)

Pride of Cincinnati (84, 24th)

Valley Fever (84, 21st)

Argonauts (85, 22nd)

Avant Garde (85, 18th)

CA Dons (85, 23rd)

27th Lancers (86, 13th)

Canadian Knights (86, 24th)

Les Eclipses (86, 14th)

Connexion Quebec (87, 21)

Geneseo Knights (87, 25th)

Spartans (87, 23rd)

Quad City Knights (88, 23rd)

Suncoast Sound (89, 9th)

Florida Wave (89, 18th)

Limited Edition (89, 24th)

River City Railmen (89, 25th)

28 top 25 corps (including three former finalists) lost in 10 years. :(

The Marauders made the top 25 up until 1994, 20th).

Thanks to Corpsreps.com B)

Edited by skajerk

1982 Geneso Knights was one of my favorite al time shows. Their brass line was powerful, mature, and dynamic..as good as many top lines, and they beat quite a few. Marching, many compared their style tto SCV.....broad, wide open, sweeping drill that covered the field with solid interval and execution.

82 Knights was a powerful show, beating Cavaliers early......they were a top 12 contender but DCI thought otherwise (yes, conspircay theory, only to be elaborated on in 1983) Casals suite, was absolutely excellent, as was Eleanor Rigby.......A true gem, often overlooked.......

~G~

Having marched both 82 & 83 Knights, thanks for remembering and bringing back fond memories. The strength of the corps was definitely the horn line but was strong all around (even if the scores didn't always reflect it)

Don't know how many times I've told someone that I marched in drum corps and get asked: Who With? When I reply: Geneseo Knights, I get this blank look like that must be some Div III corps. All I can do is give them this sad look because if they don't already know I can't explain it to them.

BamRam

I hear ya, Bam. I get the same thing. Although I think more people have heard of Valley Fever than they have the Dons.

I believe you left suncoast sound off your list of corps we've lost 1989-9th (i think it was 9th)

Wow--thanks for the nice comments. I marched in the Geneseo Knights from 1979 to 1983. I marched vibraphone in '82. I had such a great time performing that show, in particular. I especially liked being the set point for the opening rotation, but that was little intimidating at first! I miss those days a lot--I marched with some truly great people. I go to Geneseo once in awhile and look at the empty practice field and think about the good old days.

On the topic of corps that are gone, I looked at my DCM prelims recap sheet from 1981. On the first page there were 20-some corps, 2 of which are still around. Sad. But, let's be glad that others have survived!! I'll just keep wearing my Knights jacket, making people wonder if I'm from the Knights of Columbus, or some other place.

Bob Blomberg

Knights, '79-'83

I believe you left suncoast sound off your list of corps we've lost 1989-9th (i think it was 9th)

Oh man! How could I leave them off the list? Thanks for the correction. It's fixed.

Oh man! How could I leave them off the list? Thanks for the correction. It's fixed.

well probably cause they did come back as a divII/III corps in the mid 90's. But I think for the purpose of your post they still fit the bill.