1980 Let It Be Me The Best Ending

OK so to test a point on The Net that nothing ever brings forth disagreement.

Is there anyone over the age of like 40 or anyone with parents or older siblings who would disagree that Spirit's Let It Be Me's tribute to Jim Ott was the best closer in Drum Corps history.

Anyone who was there knows the tears in the crowd. I was one of them I think my freeze frame and enlarge function on my computer DVD shows me at the point where some crowd member stands up and waves at the camera. But, I can't get the picture big enough without blurring.

Let's just have this be a bump and agree to prove my theory wrong.

Best closer??? It's certainly and deservedly up there with some of the greatest....but I could name a few equally as great:

SCV 87

Star 90

Sky Ryders 88

Crown 07

Cadets 84

BD 86

Great as LibM is as an arrangement, I wonder if it would hold the place in people's hearts if it weren't so closely identified with the death of Ott that year. The emotion in the piece, especially after the gun, comes through even on video.

Had the corps not been playing their hearts out for Jim...perhaps not.

• Like 1

Spirit's 1980 Let It Be Me - the melo soloist was so beautiful.....absolutely kick butt drum corps. You can hear 27th in the background, cheering and pumped us as we are about to take the field.

Yes - Spirit was awesome and Tom FLoat had them banging very well !!!

Edited by LancerLegend

No mention of BD's Dindi in 80? Some of the best solo work that year.

OK so to test a point on The Net that nothing ever brings forth disagreement.

Is there anyone over the age of like 40 or anyone with parents or older siblings who would disagree that Spirit's Let It Be Me's tribute to Jim Ott was the best closer in Drum Corps history.

Anyone who was there knows the tears in the crowd. I was one of them I think my freeze frame and enlarge function on my computer DVD shows me at the point where some crowd member stands up and waves at the camera. But, I can't get the picture big enough without blurring.

Let's just have this be a bump and agree to prove my theory wrong.

I loved that ending - I got to walk down the field in front of the hornline sampling every player in the company front and was beyond impressed - just a great ending.

Having said that to feel that no one with sense or taste could disagree is as whacky as me saying that anyone in their right mind knows that the end of Cadets 84 show is clearly the best in history - it's the best for me! But I could very easily buy 91 Star or any number of others.

Cherish how that made you feel, but realize that lots of people cried at the end of shows and for lots of reasons and lots of corps - hell - I cried my eyes out at the end of '92 VK because I could no longer laugh that hard.

That's why they make chocolate and that other stuff...

I loved that ending - I got to walk down the field in front of the hornline sampling every player in the company front and was beyond impressed - just a great ending.

Having said that to feel that no one with sense or taste could disagree is as whacky as me saying that anyone in their right mind knows that the end of Cadets 84 show is clearly the best in history - it's the best for me! But I could very easily buy 91 Star or any number of others.

Cherish how that made you feel, but realize that lots of people cried at the end of shows and for lots of reasons and lots of corps - hell - I cried my eyes out at the end of '92 VK because I could no longer laugh that hard.

That's why they make chocolate and that other stuff...

I must agree to disagree and while saying that agree to agree with Mr. Fallon on this. While taking into consideration the adoration any horn player of note could have for Mr. Ott and while Spirit's closer was great ... there remains one song, one player and one corps that stands out from any other closer, solo performance (show after show and year after year) that could just have me in stunned awe.

The year - 1984.

The song - I Have A Love

The Corps - Garfield Cadets.

The caveat - I to this day have absolutely no love for Garfield and except for a couple of George Zingali years and the peace sign No More War show, I have been underwhelmed for decades. Actually the only thing that impresses me about The Cadets (or whatever they are calling themselves nowadays) is their longevity. But Barbara ... Barbara is and was the player who could make me tear up - even when I knew it was coming - even on CD or DVD.

So like Ray says. Hold that thought for Mr. Ott and that performance ... and I'll just cuddle up with mine.

• Like 1

The year - 1984.

The song - I Have A Love

The Corps - Garfield Cadets.

Good call, Joe - For my $.02, one of the most beautiful, emotional moments ever on a drum corps field. I watched them from the track during their post-finals encore and literally got weak in the knees while listening to it; I sat in front of the pit for the rest of the show.

Best holiday wishes to all,

Fred O.

Good call, Joe - For my $.02, one of the most beautiful, emotional moments ever on a drum corps field. I watched them from the track during their post-finals encore and literally got weak in the knees while listening to it; I sat in front of the pit for the rest of the show.

Best holiday wishes to all,

Fred O.

Awesome chart, masterfully played by Barb....but "I Have a Love" was not the closer. "Tonight" followed "IHaL" and was the actual closer.

Awesome chart, masterfully played by Barb....but "I Have a Love" was not the closer. "Tonight" followed "IHaL" and was the actual closer.

Yeah, I know that the "Tonight/Quintet" production was the closer. I was responding to Puppet's post, which referenced IHaL.

regards,

Fred O.