Thoughts on jazz. . .

http://nicholaspayton.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/on-why-jazz-isnt-cool-anymore/

Read it a couple of times before knee-jerking.

And then think.

Now. . . drum corps. . .

Chuck Naffier

Melody Fan

Rarely do I agree with something posted on the internet more than I agree with this statement in that article:

The number one Jazz record is Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue.

Payton clarifies his position in another open letter: http://nicholaspayton.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/1319/

He apparently is not against the instrumentation, chord structures, nor the evolving of the music which was birthed in New Orleans; but against the term "Jazz" being applied to anything past 1959, as well as believing the term is equal to a racist term. Although I respect his right to hold an opinion, I also disagree with his rantings.

http://nicholaspayton.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/on-why-jazz-isnt-cool-anymore/

Read it a couple of times before knee-jerking.

And then think.

Now. . . drum corps. . .

Chuck Naffier

Melody Fan

Also, this is a GREAT article. Mr. Payton completely nails his point, and I truly believe you can substitute the word "jazz" with just about anything and it'll ring true.

Thanks for sharing!!

Payton clarifies his position in another open letter: http://nicholaspayton.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/1319/

He apparently is not against the instrumentation, chord structures, nor the evolving of the music which was birthed in New Orleans; but against the term "Jazz" being applied to anything past 1959, as well as believing the term is equal to a racist term. Although I respect his right to hold an opinion, I also disagree with his rantings.

I think you can take away from his 'rantings' that you don't need to worry about labeling music (or anything, really). I took away that you don't need to try to cram an artist's style into any narrow/broad/generic sense. Mr. Payton considers himself a musician in the stylings of "Postmodern New Orleans music" which is a FAR better and more apt description of his playing style than just "jazz." I honestly don't know what to make of his equating of jazz with a racist slur, born in post-slavery: I haven't studied the history of jazz enough to make an educated opinion on that aspect of the medium. I do agree that 'jazz,' in the form it was originally born of, has been dead for a LONG time: maybe dead isn't quite the right word, more evolved into new, beautiful, equally great forms. I know several musicians who play what my naive parents might call "a type of jazz," and they would NEVER seriously say their jazz musicians (because they all also agree that jazz has long evolved into something else entirely).

Like I said, you could substitute what Mr. Payton says about jazz with any other medium. Similarly, I have thought the same thing about "rock" music, and I think rock as it was when it was first 'born' (coincidentally or not, around the same time Mr. Payton maintains that jazz died I think rock 'n' roll was born, at least in the mainstream sense) died decades ago and now exists in another form. Many could say the same thing about drum corps, I suppose (which might've been Mr. Naffier might've been implying/suggesting when he posted this).

Jazz is one style of music that's uniquely American in its origin. Sometimes we think that we have these great debates over electronics or amplification in Drum Corps, but I've met Jazz musicians who would go to war over an issue like that.

I have never understood the fixation on labels in the first place. So many people afraid to be "mis-labeled" as something or another.

Your average person, for example, calls basically anything written pre-1900 "Classical", regardless of whether or not it was actually written in the "Classical" era, as opposed to the Baroque, Romantic, Neo-Romantic, etc.

There is little point in making it all convoluted. And as soccerguy said, above, the term "Postmodern" is patently ridiculous to begin with. From what "modern" is it "post"? Every single day is the new "Modern".