Taking A Break?

BD9

quote]

Edited by Piper

I like Chuck's advice. He's not telling the kid not to march his dream corps, he's just recognizing what he said, which was that he had every intention going to BD the following year, and his only real concern about staying with his current corps is basically just concern for his own chops.

Certainly no corps should deny any member their ambitions, but it IS fair to ask every member to be 100% on board and committed to the corps they're with in the current season, without the thought process being "I'm just getting better so I can move on. That kind of mentality does the current program no favors, and is likely to create an attitude in the member that may distance him from his fellow corps members.

Of course every corps tries to create the best possible experience they can. That is a no brainer, but a member that isn't totally invested in the program and is just killing time to prepare for the next move is already setting themselves up for a less than quality experience from the get go. Creating the ultimate experience is a symbiotic effort that requires involvement from administration, staff, and members alike to make it happen.

• Like 2

Im not planning on staying with my current corps just to keep my chops up. I was worried more about being prepared in the lifestyle sense. The reasons I want to march BD are because they were the first corps I ever saw live, and their hornline was what made me want to be involved with the activity. I never intended Academy to be a step, I just wanted to march anywhere. Now that I am able to understand just how close to perfection a group can get...I want to get to that level. The main reason I want to march Academy again for 2012 is because of the great group of people there.

• Like 1

Im not planning on staying with my current corps just to keep my chops up. I was worried more about being prepared in the lifestyle sense. The reasons I want to march BD are because they were the first corps I ever saw live, and their hornline was what made me want to be involved with the activity. I never intended Academy to be a step, I just wanted to march anywhere. Now that I am able to understand just how close to perfection a group can get...I want to get to that level. The main reason I want to march Academy again for 2012 is because of the great group of people there.

There is nothing you can do in the summer that will prepare you for the college lifestyle. In fact, drum corps prepared me for being better at the college lifestyle. Mostly. :tongue:

I don't think that you'll find too many people on DCP who would claim that BD does not have an outstanding orginization because they have the record to prove otherwise. They have been absolutely remarkable over the years. If that's what you want to shoot for then nobody can stop you but yourself, however if you're happy where you are then I would think twice about it. If there's one thing that Drum Corps has taught me it's that winning is like kissing your sister on Christmas Eve - it's nice but it's no big deal.

• Like 1

No college prep takes an entire summer. Not before freshman year as an undergrad. Truth.

If you moving, and/or needing to get a job for the start of school, and school starts pretty close to DCI Finals, and you want to be in the college marching band that has auditions before DCI Finals: college prep takes up enough of the summer to preclude someone from marching drum corps.

You don't know everything about every college or about every individual's personal situation. Truth :rolleyes:

NO matter what you decide, good luck this year/this summer/next school year!!

The people in drum corps are teachers. They completely understand if you need to leave for a few days during tour to go take care of a few college stuff. The only downside is the extra money in plane tickets you'd have to pay.