1999 Blue Devils is DCI.org Download of the Week

A wonderful show to hear. I never saw it live, but did catch the PBS live broadcast of the top 5, having just retired for the evening from my cousin's half-Catholic, half-Hindu wedding in a Wheeling hotel. I had seen the Cavaliers and their diamond-cutter (a name I didn't know until a decade had passed) live in Massillon, and at first look wasn't sure that BD and SCV were better. But watching the VHS recording I made, SCV quickly grew on me to become an all-time favorite, while I found BD to be better for listening -- at least as filmed. I would dearly love to see a high-camera video of their show. Does one exist?

... I had seen the Cavaliers and their diamond-cutter (a name I didn't know until a decade had passed)...

During the season, I asked corps director Jeff Fiedler if they had a name for the maneuver that "looked like a diamond cutter." He replied, "We call it the diamond cutter."

Okay, maybe you had to be there.

During the season, I asked corps director Jeff Fiedler if they had a name for the maneuver that "looked like a diamond cutter." He replied, "We call it the diamond cutter."

Okay, maybe you had to be there.

He tended to name moves what they looked like, or even how they sounded at times.... tongue.gif

He tended to name moves what they looked like, or even how they sounded at times.... tongue.gif

Like the Bug Zapper.

Watched this show on FN the other night. Isn't that young man at about the 10:45 mark to the end (working it from the podium), the current brass caption head of Cavaliers?

Yes.

Watched this show on FN the other night. Isn't that young man at about the 10:45 mark to the end (working it from the podium), the current brass caption head of Cavaliers?

No. The head drum major (the one you are referring to on the video) is named Jeff Christopherson. However, the backfield drum major was Scott Atchison--the current brass captionhead of the Cavaliers.