1999 Blue Devils is DCI.org Download of the Week

Definately one of their best color guards. I loved how they all spun rifle and sabre that year. Adios Nonino was just so cool!

Later,

Mike

Powerhouse - Rhumba for Orchestra (the 2nd piece) is on my all-time favorites list, without question.

I did an experiment in 2000 - I showed my Father in Law the two tied shows from '96 and '99 on the same afternoon and asked him to pick a winner. He'd never seen DCI before - he's very much a hunting and fishing, beer and cigarettes sort of guy. He was a good sport and went along.

For the '99 shows, he felt that, to him, the Blue Devils blew SCV out of the water. He thought the whole show just had the look and feel of a champion - very much a swagger to it.

Hardly scientific, but interesting nonetheless.

Mike

What's that?

Please tell me you're joking, Mike...

But just in case you aren't...go to the site-that-must-not-be-named and put in "Blue Devils 1999 Concord Show - Lights Out"

The fun starts at around the 0:55 mark and does...not...stop.

The truly scary thing is (from one of the baris), they only learned the closer drill that day.

Edited by 84BDsop

Please tell me you're joking, Mike...

But just in case you aren't...go to the site-that-must-not-be-named and put in "Blue Devils 1999 Concord Show - Lights Out"

The fun starts at around the 0:55 mark and does...not...stop.

The truly scary thing is (from one of the baris), they only learned the closer drill that day.

I was not aware of that. It appears some lights came on as the show progressed. Did they have vehicle lights turned on to be able to cast a little light?

I imagine that was a remarkable hype, and certainly something no one there would ever forget.

Edited by Michael Boo

I was not aware of that. It appears some lights came on as the show progressed. Did they have vehicle lights turned on to be able to cast a little light?

I think that did start happening, but I think it caused more of a distraction to the members, with the light being more or less directly IN their eyes instead of lighting the general area.

I imagine that was a remarkable hype, and certainly something no one there would ever forget.

Some alums have said it was that specific performance that bonded them in the way necessary to win.

Honestly, I don't know what the 84 corps would've done had the city power gone out on US...we never discussed that kind of thing.