"Empie State of Mind" is the Best Closer in Drum Corps, To Dat

Insult? EXCUSE ME? INSULT! I will tell what is "insulting". The 2 and a half pages of people like you who have made CRUEL comments about 2011 Madison's closer such as "in the double digits but closer to 100 than 10". You people need to understand something. There are KIDS underneath those 2011 Madison uniforms who read this board....and WANT TO BELIEVE that they are HOLDING STRONG TO THAT "storied history" and leaving the same legacy as those who past. It's not an insult to the corps of the past to name Empire State Of Mind with the other great Madison hits like Malaguena, Malaga, Cats and Strawberry Soup. It IS however an insult to the CURRENT corps to treat them and talk about their package like it is inferior to their past heritage. You people are just cruel and you know what I think? I think MOST of the people on this thread who are down playing this piece are doing so out of selfish bias. You people are obviously affiliated with or have a vested interest with one of Madison's competitors (like they care) and want to step all over them in an effort to build your own up.

Dude...seriously, as a Madison Alum, please stop posting things like this on behalf of our corps. You are undercutting whatever thin point you're trying to make by being so beligerent with people. So you have an opinion. No one else was tearing you down about your opinion. They were simply stating that you are in the incredibly small minority that might think Empire was the best closer of all time. In the process people were giving you examples of closers they thought were clearly better. Those who have been around the activity for years can state with certainty that it's not the best closer of all time. It's called perspective. When you have been around the activity for a long time you will also have perspective. I dare say that your opinion will change about this. But even if it doesn't change, you may be the only one who would feel that this is the pinacle of DCI closers. Me? I liked the song. But I saw Madison live in '88, '92, '94, '95, '97, and '99 and my opinion is that they were all more enjoyable closers than Empire. Does that under cut the 2011 corps? NO! The men have worked their tails off to resurrect our corps. So to all of the guys that proudly wear the Madison uniform and read these posts, know that the alumni couldn't be prouder of you. I stood tall when I saw you live this year!

But dude, stop posting crap like this.

• Like 9

Dear OP,

When you toss out a pronouncement such as "Best Closer in DC...to Date" (a completely unmeasurable metric) you should be ready to hear different viewpoints. Yes, some on here are very open about criticising certain corps and their shows and some are a bit crude. I myself have been in debates about descriptions used on here and the fact that if you aren't prepared to say it directly to the faces of the kids on field...then shut....up!

But having said that...you need to take heart in that so many "love" madison (particularly the new "retro madison"). And to that end, their applause (just like Troopers 09 and PR08) may have just as much to do with their presence as their performance.

signed,

"you people"

I believe I used the word "you people" recently so I just want to be clear again.....I am NOT the OP and have not made the claim that ESOM was the "best closer ever". I'm arguing a completely different debate....that being the crowd response to it. That's all....nothing more and nothing less. Just wanting to make sure that's clear.

• Like 1

Dude...seriously, as a Madison Alum, please stop posting things like this on behalf of our corps. You are undercutting whatever thin point you're trying to make by being so beligerent with people. So you have an opinion. No one else was tearing you down about your opinion. They were simply stating that you are in the incredibly small minority that might think Empire was the best closer of all time.

Again, you've got the wrong person. not%20me.gif I've never made such a claim. Take this up with the OP please. Not me.

• Like 1

Dear OP,

When you toss out a pronouncement such as "Best Closer in DC...to Date" (a completely unmeasurable metric) you should be ready to hear different viewpoints. Yes, some on here are very open about criticising certain corps and their shows and some are a bit crude. I myself have been in debates about descriptions used on here and the fact that if you aren't prepared to say it directly to the faces of the kids on field...then shut....up!

But having said that...you need to take heart in that so many "love" madison (particularly the new "retro madison"). And to that end, their applause (just like Troopers 09 and PR08) may have just as much to do with their presence as their performance.

signed,

"you people"

Although, to add, it was amusing of the OP to title the thread/chart that he thinks is the best all-time closer, "EmPIE State of Mind." Yeah, I know it's just a typo, but for someone so emphatic about a chart it's kinda funny they spelled it wrong :doh:

Although, to add, it was amusing of the OP to title the thread/chart that he thinks is the best all-time closer, "EmPIE State of Mind." Yeah, I know it's just a typo, but for someone so emphatic about a chart it's kinda funny they spelled it wrong :doh:

See again though. How "emphatic" was the OP? He/she made what....ONE post and then ran......leaving me to take the heat for a completely DIFFERENT argument. Sounds like a case of "ding dong ditch-em" to me and guess what, I got hit with the flying water baloons once the door opened. :tongue:

• Like 1

No, you got hit because of the way you responded.

Again, you've got the wrong person. not%20me.gif I've never made such a claim. Take this up with the OP please. Not me.

Howdy? Is that you?

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

WHOA! Hold it!!!! not%20me.gif You are barking up the wrong tree. I never...................yes NEVER................claimed that Madison's 2011 was the best closer ever. NOT ONCE have I said that....go check my posts. It was the OP who said that. Furthermore, much like Madalumni's post above mine, I too have a large rotation of endings that are among my favorites. Yes, ESOM is among my favorites (top 20 probably) but not necessarily my #1 favorite. So, let's just clear that up for the record right now. I think a lot of people on this thread are barking up the wrong tree and taking out their frustrations with the OP's statement (who has fasionably dissapeared) on me.

THE CLAIMS I DID make are 1) that Madison has "possibly" (key word...and the word I used) the biggest crowd reaction since 1995. NO NOT AS big as 95....SINCE 95. And you know what? I'm willing to retract that statement having thought more about (and since watched) 08 Phantom. Yes, that one was bigger, Though I DO think Madison 2011 is among the top 5-10 since 95....which is not a far fetched statement in the least. What I also claimed is 2) that Madison had the biggest crowd reaction of 2011. I will NOT retract that statement. I have done the research and even have the technology at my fingertips to audio test the crowd reactions of all of the 2011 corps (and have done so from the DVD recordings). It IS (FACT: not "opionion") the loudest ovation of 2011 Finals. The next closest is Cavies, the next after that Phantom. Madison's was louder than both. I'm 100% certain of it and nobody is going to change my mind about it.

OK, my bad. Nice dodging the main point of my statement, though. I'll fix it and ask again...

What about about the "kids" in those other unis that some may feel YOU are insulting by claiming '11 Madison had the best closer last year?

And again... DON'T SEND ME ANYMORE MESSAGES! You're not going to change my opinion. Period! I'm glad Madison got the response they did. I really am. It's been a long time coming. However, after all is said and done, MY favorite last year was Phantom's Elsa followed by Crown and then The Cadets.

Edited by skajerk