Auditioning with pre-corps experience?

I very recently had my audition with SCV and made it into the bari/euph line. Most of the applicants had previously marched in the open class or the non-finalist level of open class. It seems to me that being in an open class corps not only makes you look better on paper, but it will also improve your playing, marching, and understanding of what a drum corps is. You can get into any corps with talent and respect, but open corps will improve both.

I marched Velvet Knights last year, and my experience helped me out tremendously in how I performed at auditions, but remember, hard work (in practice and rehearsal) is really the only way to get to a top corps.

I'm not going to say your friend is giving you good or bad advise. But from what I have read, a lot of people that were rookies still make the corps. I know a couple of people in there rookie years made The Cavaliers. So just go audition and have a good time!

^^^ Didn't march. Take it for what it's worth.

In ANY line of work previous experience is a bonus. The right combination of attitude and skill can, of course, offset experience. But as with most things, the prior experience doesn't bring increased skill level as much as it does an understanding of the rigors that come with the tour. What those who haven't marched can't fully appreciate is what it takes to march a full World Class tour. Those skills are arguably more valuable than how well you can march or play your show since you can't even worry about the show if you're dragging on tour.

Audition. If you don't make it, go to another corps and audition. If you don't make it, continue to do so. Do NOT go into ANY corps experience openly boasting them as a stepping stone. That's not a good way to do it.

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 5

Best of luck with your auditions. As many have mentioned, it is not a requirement to have previous experience. But the benefits of a previous corps experience are definitely a plus. If you don't have previous experience, just find out as much as you can about the corps, their audition process, and just be extremely prepared.

The only way to guarantee you won't make the corps is to not audition.

And while you will definitely be auditioning against people that may have more experience, there are many factors that may put you over the edge. Your talent level, attitude, confidence, and enthusiasm are definitely things that factor in. And if you get critiqued during the early auditions, try not to look like a deer in headlights, sad or upset. Try to take an attitude of Thank You, I'll try to work on that.

• Like 2

Staff will look for your ability to learn, how thoroughly you can apply, the extent of your flexibility, and your attitude.

PS. Negatives for pointing out that someone who hasn't marched drum corps is attempting to give advice about marching drum corps? Really? Think about that. Fans who are just fans need to stay within their realm of expertise: the superficial elements of the on-field product. Being a bando with Cavalier friends doesn't count.

• Like 6

I don't think it matters if you make it or not. If you don't, go to your local DCA corps(if near enough) and try them! They will almost always except new members. It is the drum corps experiance that counts, not which corps you marched with. It will always be fun.

• Like 1

So what about marching technique? How will they judge you on that? Will they see how fast you can learn their style?

they will judge how well you control your body weight. Your consistency from step to step and in the subdivisions (marching in time). Perhaps if you can hold a steady long tone while marching.

in the group visual blocks, they will be watching to see how you are learning the technique. Whether you are mentally checked into the exercises. If it always takes you 3 reps to remember to do the new instructions, they will take notice. If you are paying attention while things are being taught or if you are in la-la land. They don't expect you to march their technique correctly. They expect you to (1) be able to march in time, and (2) that you are capable of learning / taking advice and corrections (individual or group) that the staff gives and improving on the next rep.

If there is something you struggle with at camp (visually or musically), the best thing you can do is in the 3-4 weeks between the end of that camp and the next camp, that you bust your ### to get better at whatever you struggled with. They will notice that you put in the effort. fwiw, as a new baritone player (normally play saxophone), this is how I earned my spot through the winter. Keep coming back and show that you are better at the current camp than you were at the last camp.

If they've give you weight loss goals or timed running (or other fitness) goals, you need to show progress in those areas too.

Basically, they want talented people who are willing to bust their ### to get better, because that is what you will be doing all summer. Drum corps lines are not full of superstar players. Are there some? Yes, there definitely are. But it isn't the norm. They mostly have players that are quite good and willing to put in the effort. I don't think it's possible to say how important the 'willing to put in the effort' is... I've seen some very talented musicians show up at auditions in November or December, only to never be seen again. Maybe they can't pay the money. Or maybe they decided the activity wasn't for them when their entire body was sore when they woke up on Sunday morning of camp and then they had to run a mile+

Edited by soccerguy315

Like others have mentioned, a lot of it can depend upon a corps annual attrition, which can vary from one year to the next. Sometimes they can be top-heavy with age-outs and sometimes they don't have many at all (sort of like HS or college sports), which means that they'll probably have a lot of returning vets who know the ropes and rarely get cut unless they screw up somehow. It also can depend upon the section. It can be a real crap shoot and sometimes you have to roll the dice.

PS. Negatives for pointing out that someone who hasn't marched drum corps is attempting to give advice about marching drum corps? Really? Think about that. Fans who are just fans need to stay within their realm of expertise: the superficial elements of the on-field product. Being a bando with Cavalier friends doesn't count.

I'll drink to that statement.

• Like 1

Also, No prior experience is not required to march any corps. But It does really help to have marched corps before. I marched in DCA for a year before making it into my corps.