Auditioning with pre-corps experience?

Previous experience is not required and is actually becoming more and more rare as bands are getting better and open class corps are getting fewer. We cut someone with 4 years previous experience in another corps. This person marched extremely well but just did not quite play well enough. Now previous experience within the organization, Bluecoat veterans, does make a big difference. It is not impossible to beat out a vet, but unlikely. Then again vet retention from year to year usually falls somewhere between 35% and 60%. If you really want to get a head start, I would suggest downloading the Blueway packet off of the Bluecoats website. It will probably change some next year but you can get an idea of what to expect. This current years audition pieces are in there as well as exercises that we pick from to play for your audition. As far as the environment, this is my first year with the corps so I can't say definatively. However, I can say that it seems like a very positive environment within the membership. I can tell you that the administration is very organized. So, you will be taken care of as far as the externalities of the experience i.e. food, housing, environment, etc.. Marching of course is very important and will play a role in your selection. The first audition camp will be basics and such. The second is actually a mini-drill where we can see how fast you can read drill and play and march in more realistic conditions than just a basic block. Bluecoats do have a strong low brass tradition so competition will most likely be very tough. Best of luck.

Edited by Cadets98
  • Like 1

friendly and colorful language are not exclusive... and most of rehearsal, the people in the corps are quiet while they take instructions from the staff. :smile:

i would just say don't judge too much from a youtube video about what life is like in any corps. it's a small window into an insulated activity and people might act differently when a camera is in front of their face, haha.

Yeah I guess so... I guess I'll just have to live with what I'm given

If you make a nice sound, that is typical of your instrument.

If you are in decent to excellent physical condition.

If you are mentally prepared for drum corps type instruction.

If you can listen to directions and adapt quickly.

You will make the corps.

Most people either fail in one of these categories, or cut themselves (because of money, travel obligations, inability to handle criticism, etc). In my experiences (which are limited compared to some, vast compared to others), decisions on membership are rarely made in reference to that person's previous corps experience. Exceptions being veterans of said corps, or its feeders.