I Say... The Greatest Closer Ever Is...

Disclaimer 1: I was on the sideline and not on the field, so I hope this doesn’t seem too self-serving.

Disclaimer 2: I believe in being “true to your school” and I love modern Drum Corps but,

I totally agree with you Michael.

You just had to be there.

For all it grew to mean, it’s one of the most bittersweet memories I have.

It still brings tears.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'74 Scouts - Brian's Song; both the tune and the movie are so heart wrenching that theyt make you want to throw yourself off of a building;

Let It Be Me - especially 1980 when it was played by a bunch of crying kids so as to be heard by one Jim Ott; and

Any Blue Devil exit with Bonnie Ott playing a solo. What a line, what a gal!

Doesn't anyone remember Bluecoats in 1992 (or 1993) when they did "Whiter Shade of Pale"

OMG

awesome...

Yes. :silly:

" Softly as I leave you......Cavaliers

TY, LGE!!!!!! ^OO^

And now, as Paul Harvey says, here's "the rest of the story"...............................

DCI Rules Congress was held in Chicago in the winter of 1981. Since Cavalier camp was running concurrently, uncle z was somehow lucky enough as a 1981 "new guy" to get invited to go along with some old guys to the closing ceremonies. This consisted of three slide projectors raining 1980 pictures on a screen while 1980 top 12 music was played along with the appropriate corps' music (this was HIGH TECH for 1981!!!). Of course, there was applause for the 1980 "corpsgasm" moments, but the high point for uncle z was that the show ended with Cavaliers doing "Softly, As I Leave You". Imagine my astonishment and pride as the "movers and shakers" of DCI all stood to their feet and gave that song thunderous applause. You know, the Cavaliers of 80-82 were just barely finals material, but the Seawrights, Royers, Bonfiglios, Lendmans, Kampschroers, Jones, Whitelys, Pesceones, Angelicas et al of the DCI universe were lovin' on the Cavies that night!!!!! :)

Heart string tuggers, all......but conceptually, I still like early 70s Anaheim Kingsmen's closer of "King Of Kings" simply because of the way it re-states earlier themes from the show. Just little reminders of what the audience had just witnessed......a re-cap, if you will....again, that's my conceptual choice in context, if you will....and it had those nice body-blow accents at the end.....a brass gonad climax!

Royer, Angelica and the rest were always willing to give praise where it was due.......I respected them greatly for that and was quite happy in my time just to have them even listen to my musical attempts with the 71 Diplomats: Angelica wrote most of it, btw...couple of Royer bars.....what was left was mine....and Willie Polacek, the percussion instructor's...... and some Stanley Knaub influences here and there.....but it was all the kid's work.

".......Sooooooft-ly, as I leave you......"

RON HOUSLEY

PS: Dips exit was

"Fire And Rain"(Angelica)

-only corps listed

to have played that-last I looked.

Edited by ffernbus3

Uncle Z:

Are you sure they weren't standing because it was the end of a remarkable presentation?

Mike

I remember lining up, as close to the front sideline as i could get, to hear the fanfare to Spirit's '78 show ... Man, that was my kind of loud. Always loved "Let It Be Me", through all of its incarnations, but '78 was special, no doubt about it.

Uncle Z:

Are you sure they weren't standing because it was the end of a remarkable presentation?

Mike

Mike--you had to be there, and you could JUST tell it was totally spontaneous due to "Softly, As I Leave You"!!!! :)