THE WOW FACTOR

How about Reading's closer from "Sylvia"-- a fine moment indeed BITD.

My favorite personal moment as a performer was the last 30 or so seconds of the 1982 and 1983 Westshoremen programs, the Frank Dorrite chords- a rip to play, and the crowd bought them.

One of my favorites was the 1988 Sunrisers soloist, a young man by the name of Bobby Burke blew the house down!

One of my favorites was the 1988 Sunrisers soloist, a young man by the name of Bobby Burke blew the house down!

THANK YOU....IT'S NICE TO BE REMEMBERED....TA TA KA TA.

Empire 1993...the end of the New Orleans Production with the GIANT Puppet of KING REX...

That thing was heavy and difficult to work with so Vince found a guy that had just returned from Olympic bobsled training...and his weight lifter buddy to handle it.

The response from that ending was considerable.

Donny

• Like 2

With the evolution of modern Drum Corps shows ,and all the "over the top" effects that are included in them ,I thought maybe it would be interesting to go back in time to the beginning of our hobby ,and reminise about some single moments in the "GOLDEN YEARS" that stood out in our memories.The" WOW FACTOR". It could have been just one note ...like Reilly's High "G " in Irish Eyes. The Yankee Rebels 'stripper"...Just about anything that PEPE from NY played or 'performed" on the field. The concert ending of STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER from St. Kevin's .Reilly's classic "head /chopper" move.the Cab's concert with Jimmy D'amico and Don Angelica wailing away in the early 60s.Kevin's color pre intro to 'SEA HAWK".and their stratisferic soprano ending at the finish line NY'sTommy Martin's effortless playing of the most famous 4 notes in drum corps history.27s rifle line.The lightning storm that simultaniously occured when the Hurcs played ''Stormy Weather " at a show.i could go on and on...but lets see how long we can keep this going..Once again any memory is allowed ,as simple or brief as it was ,as long as it brought the" WOW" response from the crowd.

The first time I heard the1960 SKYLINERS at the Dream play the kick off to SLAUGHTER ON 10th AVENUE...it was like an organ ...never heard a sound like that before or since.How the CABS seemed to kick up dust on the "starting line" even if the grass was 6 in.high.Sac's El Cid...Garfield's 'KING OF KINGS"...Kevin's "Voice of the Guns"with what seemed like the whole lead line hitting a high A above the staff on the last chord.Again Sac's "NATIONAL EMBLEM"...and of course the thrill of this young teenagers career... the incredable off the line of BALLANTINE 'Somethings Coming"after I played "HEY GET YOUR COLD BEER" .definetly one of the LOUDEST horn lines I ever heard.ETC ETC..

Empire 1993...the end of the New Orleans Production with the GIANT Puppet of KING REX...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That entire production was incredible. But the ending with the big puppet, and the smoke effects... WOW. "Thunderous standing ovation" is an understatement. That production, in a nutshell, was what the Empire Statesmen are/have been all about.

• Like 1