Drum corps phone home

In 1987 we had a bit of a chicken pox epidemic go thru our corps (thanks again Nancy) and I was one that caught them. I called home to tell my mom that I had chicken pox and she wanted me to come home. I said no and hung up the phone. I called her back a week and a half later to tell her I was ok.

Not sure if something like that would fly these days, lol. :tongue:

• Like 1

In 1987 we had a bit of a chicken pox epidemic go thru our corps (thanks again Nancy) and I was one that caught them. I called home to tell my mom that I had chicken pox and she wanted me to come home. I said no and hung up the phone. I called her back a week and a half later to tell her I was ok.

Not sure if something like that would fly these days, lol. :tongue:

How on earth did the corps continue to practice and perform during that time? I had chicken pox as a kid and it put me out in bed for a week.

How on earth did the corps continue to practice and perform during that time? I had chicken pox as a kid and it put me out in bed for a week.

It was rough, as about 20-30 kids ended up with Chicken Pox and missed rehearsal time at some point that summer. Lucky me, I was one of the worst cases. I was out for a few days completely and then when I was a little better I had to rehearse in full cover with sweatpants, sweatshirt, hat, and bandana covering my face so no skin would be exposed. It was not fun at all, but I made a point to not miss any shows! :devil:

It was rough, as about 20-30 kids ended up with Chicken Pox and missed rehearsal time at some point that summer. Lucky me, I was one of the worst cases. I was out for a few days completely and then when I was a little better I had to rehearse in full cover with sweatpants, sweatshirt, hat, and bandana covering my face so no skin would be exposed. It was not fun at all, but I made a point to not miss any shows! :devil:

Dedication and commitment = drum corps kids.

Another phone experience... 2002, about 70 of us got food poisoning finals week. The budding internet rumors scared our parents so much they were calling the school we were at during office hours and demanding to speak to us, some even started ringing the pay phones in the hallways. When someone would pick up, they'd come into the gym and yell that persons name out to come take a phone call. It was an odd week.

Another phone experience... 2002, about 70 of us got food poisoning finals week. The budding internet rumors scared our parents so much they were calling the school we were at during office hours and demanding to speak to us, some even started ringing the pay phones in the hallways. When someone would pick up, they'd come into the gym and yell that persons name out to come take a phone call. It was an odd week.

When I marched in the mid-1970s, since no one was on the Internet, parents didn't worry about their kids unless their corps made the evening news.

When I marched in the mid-1970s, since no one was on the Internet, parents didn't worry about their kids unless their corps made the evening news.

A lot could be said about how different parenting was in general. The family structure then was full of accountability, responsibility, trust, and parents that were parents... not something else.

Wow, I sound old. I guess I'm nostalgic for traditional family values, even if I've been alive in an era of their decay.

In (I believe) '76, during our first tour, I made the obligatory call home to let my parents know how things were going (yes I still have money, yes I'm eating, etc.). My younger brother was on the extension chirping in from time to time, being the typical annoying brother. At one point he says, in a singsong voice, "Soooo, do you have a girlfriend yet???" My kneejerk reply:

"Shut the #### up!" (I was all of 13 at the time)

The line was rather quiet for a few seconds, but my parents recovered quite well (my dad marched in the 50s so...)

My brother never made another peep.

Edited by Dave
filter circumvention - ds

In (I believe) '76, during our first tour, I made the obligatory call home to let my parents know how things were going (yes I still have money, yes I'm eating, etc.). My younger brother was on the extension chirping in from time to time, being the typical annoying brother. At one point he says, in a singsong voice, "Soooo, do you have a girlfriend yet???" My kneejerk reply:

The line was rather quiet for a few seconds, but my parents recovered quite well (my dad marched in the 50s so...)

You rock, bruthah. :thumbup:

Edited by Dave

Your dad, having marched himself, was probably thinking, "There but for the grace of God, go I."

Edited by Dave