27th Lancers 1980

79 and 80 had many of the same musical selections, but it was scored somewhat differently which is evident when you hear recordings of the two years. Visually the two shows were vastly different, which I base more on Legacy DVD's than my memory. What I do remember from seeing 27th live quite a few times in 1980 was the gusto they had in each performance and the excited fans who savored each show. It may also have been the one year drum corps fans in Massachusetts were united. BAC had its fans as did North Star and there were quite a few Bridgemen fans too, but in 1980, the thought of 27th beating Blue Devils was too hard to resist and everyone seemed to rally around 27th. BAC and North Star fans cheered for 27th, BAC die-hards probably considering it the lesser of two evils, and those who loved Bayonne were as welcome as Yankee fans in Fenway or Lakers fans in the Garden. By the time DCI East came around and word got out 27th beat BD (pre-internet days, word had to travel by mouth), it looked like the DCI trophy would have a New England home. CYO Nationals was a bit of a set back, but most attributed it to judging. Watching DCI on PBS, I was worried that Spirit of Atlanta had a good enough show that might win. Then 27th entered the field and after their performance, George Zingali was interviewed and he believed the show was good enough to win. I knew 27th would win, especially after a clean but lack luster Blue Devils show. I assumed Blue Devils would be a solid 3rd, Spirit as 2nd, and by the slimmest of margins, 27th would be the victors. Sadly, it wasn't the case.

I can still watch the 1980 show and see a show with heart and one that is so clean it is unbelievable, and a 1980 27th guard may be the best traditional guard of all time. I see a Blue Devils show that is good, and deserving to be a top contender, but it lacked what 27th had, and Spirit, who deserved better than 4th palce. Just my opinion thirty years later.

• Like 2

Because of their Winter Oylmpics gig, they kept most of their 79 stuff. New Country did replace Take Five. Finishing 2nd to the Blue Devils still bums out some alumni and fans of that corps.

Ghost - while the melody did resemble most of the 79 show - the staff had to teach it to the 1980 Lancer "Olympic" corps which included anyone that walked through the door. Age was not an issue - we needed warm bodies. Staff was allowed to perform if they desired.

Please believe me when I say - we had to teach nearly an entirely new corps that joined after the "Olympic" corps left. I was most fortunate in that my section, 4 characters affectionately known as The Spaceline (aka the bass drum line) remained for 2 complete seasons - 1980 and 1981. We added a 5th bass in 1981.

• Like 1

That sounds crazy, LancerLegend! Did the biggest bulk of the "Olympic corps" join just to go to Lake Placid, then? If that's true, then it puts the 1980 field corps into a whole new perspective (for me, anyway)!

That sounds crazy, LancerLegend! Did the biggest bulk of the "Olympic corps" join just to go to Lake Placid, then? If that's true, then it puts the 1980 field corps into a whole new perspective (for me, anyway)!

+1

I just watched a video of the 27th Lancers 1980. That was an amazing drum corps that was way ahead of it's time. The end.

I agree, they were something special! They were unique!

I always thought that there wasn't much of a turnover after 79. Great job by 27th in 80 if that was the case.

I can confirm that there was a huge turnover of members from 1979 to 1980, especially in the drumline. And after we returned from the Olympics a bunch of people did bail leaving us to find replacements for those memebrs too.

I can confirm that there was a huge turnover of members from 1979 to 1980, especially in the drumline. And after we returned from the Olympics a bunch of people did bail leaving us to find replacements for those memebrs too.

I remember a Drum Corps World article from the summer of 1980 referencing the Olympic corps--the author wrote that while at a show he had overheard a conversation in the stands from a young woman claiming to have joined 27 just to go to the Olympics but that she had quit right afterwards. The author went on to give the opinion (and I'm paraphrasing here) that "128 people were counting on you and you let them down. You are a PARASITE!" Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1